Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-20-2001, 03:06 PM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Well, I finally got TOB.
I installed.
When I go to play, I get the first screen and click on 'Play'
I get a message saying:

"Software Production Error. Insert Original CD"

HELP! I'm going to cry if I can't get it to work. Could it be a problem with the CD? (yes I am a complete techno-idiot). I have cleaned the CD but still no joy. I have tried all the CDs from SOA and the TOB CD. All my CDs are legal originals, bought from my local Game store, a perfectly reputable chain, so they are not dodgy pirated copies or anything.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:11 PM   #2
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

"Software Production Error. Insert Original CD"
Wow, that's a new one on me. But from where I'm standing, I'm guessing that you simply drew the short straw of fate on this and have a bad CD. But I wont guarantee that. I sincerely hope you can resolve this, and I highly suggest you ask the tech people over at the game's tech help forum about this. They may know more.
Waluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:18 PM   #3
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Epona!

Check out these linke over at Black Isle:

http://feedback.blackisle.com/cgi-bi...=9&t=001673&p=
http://feedback.blackisle.com/cgi-bi...c&f=9&t=001876

Apparently, you just need to download the beta patch for ToB and your problem should be fixed. Hope that helps!

Beta patch is here: http://www.bioware.com/bg2tob/bg2tobpatch.shtml

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!

[This message has been edited by Throntar (edited 07-20-2001).]
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 05:06 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Thanks Throntar - I had never bothered looking at those forums before!
Unfortunately I uninstalled TOB and SOA, I have now reinstalled SOA and I can't get that to work now, it just freezes. Any tips?
GRRRRR...

------------------

Old 07-21-2001, 06:09 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

OK, I've now managed to get SOA to work by itself, have re-installed TOB and I am now downloading the patch.
This is not good customer relations...

------------------

Old 07-22-2001, 12:52 AM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
OK, I've now managed to get SOA to work by itself, have re-installed TOB and I am now downloading the patch.
This is not good customer relations...

dont you think that you might be stretching it a little to say that? i know how
awful it is when something goes wrong and you can't figure out how to fix it.

realistically, of course, its impossible for bis to contact each and every person who has bought their product and personally ask them if they are encountering any problems.

they have, however, done the next best thing. they have an official forum, where they have been responding to us constantly on our problems. they have posted fixes as soon as they have them, they have also suggested viable work arounds until the problems are fixed.
they have posted all the problems with solutions on their forums and site. dave g and others have been tirelessly responding to everyone on the forums, helping just about anyone who asks him for help.
kevin dorner has been there also, helping everyone as much as he can. and thats quite a lot!

that doesn't sound like poor customer relations to me.

V***V

vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 04:05 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Thanks for the help, it is now working.
Vesselle, what I meant by poor customer relations is that this bug apparently affects 10% of all users with the European version - 10% of all European users adds up to a heck of a lot of people. If it was just my hardware setup out of millions, and I was just unlucky, I would feel differently. We don't all have fast internet connections able to download patches in a flash, and I don't know where you are based, but internet connections in Europe are generally a good deal more expensive than in the US - most of us pay by the minute.
I just feel that as usual, and having had to wait several weeks more for the game in the first place, that the developers are primarily aiming at a US market, with us Europeans being treated as 'second class'. As usual!
No hard feelings - it is sorted now, it only took me 2 days.

------------------

Old 07-23-2001, 04:14 AM   #8
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You are not alone! I bought it on Friday and experienced the same problem. I took my first copy back to the shop where I bought it and exchanged it. The second one was exactly the same. My bad luck was that I was going away for the weekend so I haven't been able to sort out the problem. I was going to come in this morning and blow my top. Thank you for making me feel that I am not alone. I tend to agree that it is bad PR to release a game where 10% of them fail. Come on people they MUST have known about this problem. What about all the poor folk that aren't on the internet and can't download patches (there must still be a few). I think this sucks I mean if you bought a car or a TV and were told here you are sir, oh by the way there is a 10% chance your goods wont work without some fiddling about you'd tell the salesman to stick it.

I'm so cross I could squash a grape!
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 05:25 AM   #9
Arachnia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I too had this "software protection error", however I found that if i just kept trying it would eventually load up for me (only took about 3 attempts each time).

But now that i know it's fixable with the patch I'll scoot off over there.
Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 07:12 AM   #10
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So is this just a Europe thing? I thought it was bad enough that we had to wait all that extra time for it to come out while all our American friends were happily finishing the damn thing before we even got it.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote