Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

IS this even wise? I wouldnt trust yet a country including mine (Philippines to go nuclear yet)
link:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...e#contentSwap1

Quote:
We'll help Indonesia go nuclear
Mark Forbes, Herald Correspondent in Jakarta
November 8, 2006

AUSTRALIA will help Indonesia develop a nuclear program, conduct joint border protection patrols, expand military and intelligence ties and agree to suppress Papuan independence supporters under a historic security treaty to be signed on Monday.

The groundbreaking security treaty would be comprehensive but would not include a formal military alliance, sources close to the negotiations said.

The Foreign Affairs Minister, Alexander Downer, will fly to Indonesia to sign the treaty with his counterpart, Hassan Wirayuda, on Monday. Its details were finalised when the pair met in New York last month.

The treaty will provide a framework for stronger ties and expanded co-operation with Indonesia across a wide range of areas. Sources said it marked a new era in the relationship, putting an end to the diplomatic rift caused when Australia granted 43 Papuans asylum earlier this year.

Both nations will agree to respect each other's territorial integrity. The treaty will recognise Indonesian sovereignty over Papua and commit both countries to suppressing independence activists.

The Indonesia and Australia Framework for Security Co-operation includes a commitment for both nations to help each other in developing nuclear power for peaceful purposes. It opens the way for Australia to sell uranium to Indonesia, which is planning to begin construction of its first nuclear power plant in 2010.

Both nations will also commit to acting to prevent the spread of weapons of mass destruction to other countries in the region.

Intelligence sharing will be boosted, along with joint counter-terrorism operations, sources confirmed. Australia would enhance its and Indonesia's border protection with joint naval and surveillance patrols.

Co-operation will be increased in all areas of law enforcement, with Australia providing resources to Indonesian police, prosecutors and immigration and customs officials.

Military exercises and joint training, including with Indonesia's Kopassus unit, will also increase. Both militaries will be told to draw up specific programs for greater co-operation.

Under six broad principles, the treaty states both nations should be treated as equals, respect the other's values and not interfere in internal affairs.

They also state neither country would allow itself to become a "staging post" for separatist activities - a clause clearly aimed at an Australian crackdown on anti-Indonesian activists.

The treaty goes further than a traditional military treaty, placing more emphasis on broader security issues. It commits both nations to increasing public understanding about the other. Education and advertising campaigns are envisaged to reduce public mistrust, which has shown up in recent polling.

Announcing the negotiations for a treaty earlier this year, Mr Downer promised the process would be transparent. "People will be able to make public submissions long before this treaty is formally ratified," he said.

However, diplomatic sources confirmed the treaty's details had been privately finalised last month, and final approval from the Indonesian cabinet was simply a formality.

Arrangements for the foreign ministers to meet on the island of Lombok on Monday have already been made.

Under Paul Keating, Australia signed a security treaty with Indonesia in 1995, but it was torn up by Jakarta in 1999 amid the tensions surrounding Australia's involvement in East Timor's independence.

The treaty marks a dramatic turnaround after months of diplomatic turmoil fuelled by Australia's decision to grant asylum to 43 Papuan independence supporters.

In response, the Indonesian President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, froze relations with Australia for three months.
[ 11-07-2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Hmmm, it's interesting Harks. I find the Aussie-Indo relationship quite complicated, yet I see the purpose for both nations.

Since we're talking power, not weapons, perhaps it is 'wiser' for Indonesia to develop it with the aid of a country that has a good track record for standards and safety, and a vested interest in no meltdowns due to proximity? I'd certainly feel more confident if the Philippines went nuclear with Australia's help than going it alone... But it would worry me a little.

I guess one concern is sticking a static 'womd' in a country with a strong degree of hardline terrorists... But also maybe the cooperation will filter more understanding between peoples? Certainly better than marching in and laying waste to their country.

What I don't get is adding the Papua thing in this kind of agreement. I for one am not convinced of Indo's sovereignty over them... And we're kind of the only country that would be intrumental in that issue.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I think Govt had a tough issue here. In the Paupa Independence thing, I believe Howard sacrificed them for regional stability. Austraia may be giving alot of concessions to Indonesia to appease thier big neighbor up top.

Another thing would be the Nuclear power. My worry is even though the development of nuclear energy would be just of power, other countries may be more inclined to gather the secrets from Indonesia as they are "easier" in terms of intelligence gathering. The possibility of Nuclear Meltdown is big as well simply because of the geographic region, hard line extremist may use that for the next Nuclear Bomb and if they do succeed the radioactive fallout would not just go to Australia but also to Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and other nieghboring countries.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm already breathing in ash from Indonesia's forest fires. Every damn year, it is the same thing, and the same 'promises'. Exactly what comfort can I draw upon that I won't be breathing the radioactive version in the future?

Sigh.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Sacrificed for regional stability... What a frightening phrase, yet unfortunately I think that's true... Look at our appalling record over East Timor.

I just hope they're really, really considering the implications of this, but who knows?

Dundee, that's terrible. I remember the smoke's made it all the way to Darwin at times... I was meant to be working in Jakarta in a few weeks but our show got cancelled. It's only about the 8th time this year some Indonesian promoter has dropped the ball.
I was looking forward to it though. Could have gained a bit more insight into this question too. I love reading the local papers and then talking to the people in another country and seeing more of what they're really about.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I would say thread carefully. I believe it was Canada that helped India go nuclear, maybe it was one of those other countries. But they took the technology and made nuclear weapons which was not the intent.

[ 11-08-2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I think everyone should follow New Zealand's example with Nuclear issues.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If the kiwi mentality is anti-nuclear then i'm all for that.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

It's been signed:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/env...266484149.html