Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2003, 05:28 PM   #11
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Sorry, no links. But browsing NASA or JPL and sites like that moght always be a good option.
As for the white hole dispersion, read my last thread.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:31 PM   #12
Raistlin Majere
Ra

now, aslong as were still talking all this sci-fi, universe, physics theories(which i find immensly fasinating), i might as well ask this:

Do any of you think that there exist an anti-substance for everything? My physics teacher introduced me(and my class) to pretty interesting thought, IMO. scientists have recently been able to generate an anti-hydrogen molecule with some state-of-the-art particle accelerator, which theratically should annhiliate the hydrogen we know, should they ever come to touch. i believe the scientist have come up with this theory based on beta+ radiation, which contains positrons(the anti-particle of the elektron). If the positrons make contact with elektrons, the result will be annhiliation of both -trons and the result of this would be elektromagnetic radiation, correct? so the theory theyve come up with is that there could be an anti-particle for everything, and at the extreme, and anti-galaxy-sort-of-thing with a solar system much like our own, which would contain a planet which would be made of earths anti-particles. this planet on the other hand would then contain beings made of the anti-particles of the particles WE are made of.

what do you guys think?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #13
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

The anti-matter thing is correct, and scientists have done more than just crated anti-protons and anti-hydrogens. There is talk of a possobility of a superbomb, not fusion based, related to the anti-matter topic. Testers at JPL are currently trying to create an anti-neutron. How this should work, I don't understand, but all I can do is sit and wait for the outcome.
As for the positron and electron collision: besides the destruction of both sub-particles, the collision would produce an awesome amount of energy. Cool, ha?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:42 PM   #14
andrewas
Harper

Electrons are not anti-protons. anti-protons are anti-protons. And at this point I really wish that physicists had a more original name for the anti-proton.

The anti-electron is the positron. These antimatter particles have been produced in accelerators for some years now, and the anihilations when they contact normal matter have been observed. Its not just theory, some of it is proven fact.

Whats special about the anti-hydrogren is that its an actual atom - a positron orbiting an anti-proton in the same way that a electron orbits a proton in normal hydrogen.

As for a macro antimatter object existing somewhere in the universe, I dont think its likely. I need to quote from 'Brief History of Time' here, but I dont have it to hand.

But if there were a galaxy of antimatter that contained no matter, it would behave precisely the same as a matter galaxy containing no antimatter. In the abscence of matter, antimatter is exactly the same as matter. If we lived in such a galaxy, we would be exactly the same as we are now, cept we would call matter antimatter and antimatter matter. Because of this, we have no way of knowing for sure whether there is any natural antimatter in the universe. All we can say is that there are no regions close enough for us to observe that contain both matter and antimatter.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 PM   #15
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

What do you think how an anti-neutron should exist? What would it be?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:52 PM   #16
andrewas
Harper

Theres more difference than just the charge between antimatter and matter. I think the other big one is magnetic moment.

[ 09-19-2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 09-19-2003, 05:52 PM   #17
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
But if there were a galaxy of antimatter that contained no matter, it would behave precisely the same as a matter galaxy containing no antimatter. In the abscence of matter, antimatter is exactly the same as matter. If we lived in such a galaxy, we would be exactly the same as we are now, cept we would call matter antimatter and antimatter matter. Because of this, we have no way of knowing for sure whether there is any natural antimatter in the universe. All we can say is that there are no regions close enough for us to observe that contain both matter and antimatter.

yep, thats about how i understood it. so basically, if space technology ever gets so far as to let us explore the universe, were we to find a galaxy made up completely of antimatter, we would be annhiliated as soon as we came to contact with the antimatter of the matter we are made of, right? this is exactly why i like physics so much; you can rant on and on about things and it doesnt get dull! or maybe im just weird...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #18
GForce

Hmmm. To me, seems every space news is about black holes, new planets, water on the planets, etc yada yada yada. It would be a greater news when we finally discover intelligent, sensient (sp?) beings not of this earth. Now that would be real news. So where are those aliens?

Old 09-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #19
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Somehting newest I heard from a friend I just called on the phone. He said there is an anti-molecule constructed at JPL, which has, ALL HAIL, NEGAATIVE MASS!!!! THAT MEANS GRAVITY WORKS INVERSE TO IT! PUSHES IT AWAY!!!
Nice, isn't it?
Old 09-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #20
andrewas
Harper

JPL dont seem to have an exotic matter or antimatter molecule, although I just searched on the obvous terms. I'll have a better look tomorrow.