Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2001, 02:35 PM   #1
Case00
Manshoon

It's offical, EB is holding my copy for me until I get outta work tonight. I can kiss my social life goodbye for the next couple weeks.
I can't remember the last time I was so excited to play a game.
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 06:25 PM   #2
Moni

LOL Cool [img]smile.gif[/img]
I stopped by EB on my way home from school this morning. The game had arrived but had not yet been priced or stocked. Since they did not want to take a personal check, I had to come back to town and get cash so I asked the guy behind the counter to stash me a copy til I could get back and he did...pulling it out from a cabinet behind him upon my return. By then, the other copies they had were priced and on the shelf.
I brought Rex back with me and he saw the last avbailable copy of PoR and couldn't resist. Then we both came home and took a nap! (I have an aerobics/weight training class on Tuesdays & Thursdays that kills me every time LOL)
I haven't even looked at the game yet, I better get going! See you in a few weeks!
Old 11-13-2001, 08:36 PM   #3
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I'm jealous Moni. Glad though that you are one of the first to get yourself a copy. Please stop by here once in awhile and let us know how it is. I am sure it was well worth the money. Have fun Moni.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:23 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Yahoooo!!! I got my copy at 3:30 this afternoon, and was able to get it up and running and start playing on it before I had to go back to work. It starts you out just like the demo, only with a new party, you're level 1. I about had a gila monster on the floor when I thought of a low-level party facing "Saffy" but I reckon one will level up quickly.

I'm going to be having TOO MUCH fun with this one!

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 11:26 PM   #5
Greystone
The Magister

Saz & Moni,

What are your initial comments on the game? How is the character generation (enjoyable, too complex, anything)? Does time seem to play a major factor, or can you sit back, relax, and build levels at your leisure?

I will be waiting a few days (until available at compuexpert.com or a major sale at a local shop) to pick up a copy of this game...just wanted to know what you guys think about it so far.

--Greystone
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 12:02 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The game has pre-gen characters if you want to jump right in and play without running through character generation. However, the Generation process is VERY easy...you can pretty well get any character you want without having to reroll and reroll and reroll...all mine I got on the first go-through. VERY easy process. The hard part is deciding on race/class/portrait/voice. What's REALLY cool is you get to choose a personality for them out of nine personas: Aggressive, Burly, Intellectual, Friendly, Cunning, Chaotic, Eccentric, ...nuts, I can't think of all of them. That was the hardest part for me; trying out all the combinations and getting a kick out of them all.

Cheers,

Old 11-14-2001, 12:04 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
LOL Cool [img]smile.gif[/img]
I stopped by EB on my way home from school this morning. The game had arrived but had not yet been priced or stocked. Since they did not want to take a personal check, I had to come back to town and get cash so I asked the guy behind the counter to stash me a copy til I could get back and he did...pulling it out from a cabinet behind him upon my return. By then, the other copies they had were priced and on the shelf.
I brought Rex back with me and he saw the last avbailable copy of PoR and couldn't resist. Then we both came home and took a nap! (I have an aerobics/weight training class on Tuesdays & Thursdays that kills me every time LOL)
I haven't even looked at the game yet, I better get going! See you in a few weeks!

Too cool, Moni! Now you BOTH will be having a blast! Let us know how you like it.

Cheers,

Old 11-14-2001, 12:46 AM   #8
Pangur Ban

Way to go, Moni and Saz !!!!

Hopefully we here in the landdownunda will only be a few days behind you in getting our copies.

Saz, you were testing out importing a party from Wiz 7 weren't you? How did it go ? What did you get to keep? Were there stats any higher than Wiz 8 starting characters? Do tell !!
Old 11-14-2001, 01:11 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Way to go, Moni and Saz !!!!

Hopefully we here in the landdownunda will only be a few days behind you in getting our copies.

Saz, you were testing out importing a party from Wiz 7 weren't you? How did it go ? What did you get to keep? Were there stats any higher than Wiz 8 starting characters? Do tell !!

Not me, Pangur Ban; that's Scronan. He's (heheh) obviously playing the game right now and not posting! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Hopefully he'll be along soon and fill in on what transfers over.

Man this thing is ADDICTIVE.

Old 11-14-2001, 01:11 AM   #10
Moni

Thanks everyone!

I finally pulled myself away from finishing the level that was in the demo...it leads to a second level up that ramp where the demo cut off but I can't allow myself to go up, I'll be there all night.

Not as tough monsters it seemed (and less of them, but I won't tell too much ) but the one in Saffy's room (not Saffy but just as formidible) was quite a challenge! I was ready to reload to an earlier save (a whole level back) and decided I would try one more time. I was amazed I beat it finally! (It really took a few reloads to get lucky LOL)
I started playing on the normal level in order to insure some challenge and staying alive. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As Saz says, character generation is really easy! I always delete the pre-generated characters and while creating my own, I reloaded a couple of times but saw no differences in creating the same character over and over so I think the bonuses are set depending on race/class/etc. I have a full party of potential heroes with much to learn and much to do!
I'm bummin' though...I am getting to bed late (and tired) and tomorrow is a no-no for game-play since I have two papers due on Thursday and one of them is a mere outline at this point! I am excited though...when I get to pick it up again, I'll be in unfamiliar territory and up against who-knows-what! I can't wait.

The voice choices are pretty cool. [img]smile.gif[/img] I was able to match up the perfect voices for each member of my party (a Samauri, a Monk, a Lord, a Ninja, a Bishop & a Mage...all human...they all need a lot of work. )

Lady Avalon, I am a hardcore Wizardry fan...it was well worth the money LOL.

The only snag I have seen so far is the game kind of sticks when trying to have the mage cast spells, but I encountered the same snag in the demo and it just takes a second (or third) try...no having to restart the PC, the game, or anything like that.

Greystone,
I have yet to discover if time is a factor...in this first part of the game, no one mentions it as being of any importance (however, Burz is the only NPC there to talk to). I may not be able to get back to my game before you and Pangur Ban get yours. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, I need to get to bed...5 a.m. is going to be here all too soon.