Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #41
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:
quote:
Originally posted by Sythe:
Jeez whats up with all the Eastern weapons? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Slick, elegant blades that can gently and swiftly take a man down without condemning the wielder to the low ranks of a barbarian for usage of one requires a skilled approach.

Instead of the stiff, log, heavy-metal swords the westerners used to maim the opponent. When those huge field-battles occured, western fighters used their swords to deal as much damage as they could to the other so he wouldn't be able to participate in the battle anymore. This resulted in thousands of warriors lying on the ground with gruesome wide-open wounds and eventually after some time die from infection, getting trampled over, gangreen or simply bleeding to death.

// I do tend to look at english battles here, not sure how the continent related to this...
[/QUOTE]To Answer Sythe: Because Eastern Weapons are typically highly overrated.
To Zuvio: Saying that Western Weapons were "Stiff, Log, Heavy metal swords" is not just an asinine statement, its racist and shows no respect or knowledge of western swordplay.
[/QUOTE]It has nothing to do with being racist. It has everything to do with opinions. If you disagree with Zuvio's opinion concerning European/Western swords, then that's it. No more arguments, you just disagree.
[/QUOTE]How is it not racist? It lumps all swords produced by the west (read: White Europe) as being "Stiff, Log, Heavy metal", while all blades from the east as requiring a "Skilled touch".
[/QUOTE]Therefore implying that westerners are bumbling brutes that hack and slash anything that moves with their "Stiff, Log, Heavy metal" what any old person could use without the need for skill, and Easterners are skillful with their weapons and not bumbling brutes.

--Kestrel--
Old 01-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #42
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Because Eastern Weapons are typically highly overrated.
In what way?

Quote:
Saying that Western Weapons were "Stiff, Log, Heavy metal swords" is not just an asinine statement, its racist and shows no respect or knowledge of western swordplay.
Then tell him of western swordplay. Teach him the western culture. Explain why western blades are as good as, or better than, eastern blades. Argue the point, and don't just throw words like "racist" around. Especially not when your own post could just as easily be interpreted as racism.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #43
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Spirits forever:
quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Katana , Wakazashi and Tantou.
practicing santoryu or somthing? (three sword style?)

bloody good choice though ^^
[/QUOTE]Suioryu actually.

[ 01-02-2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 01-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #44
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Eastern weapon often fall prey to the "eastern is better" style of arguments. The Katana, as mentioned above, is a good sword for its purpose (a highly specialized one. The fact remains that a longsword is more versatile then a katan(thrusting, cutting) and likely is built of stronger material (higher quality steel).
Western style fencing is old, and dates back to the roman empire, as well as "barbarian influences" (The peoples). Please PM me for information of western style sword fighting history. Back on topic anyway, My choice for a sword is No Da Chi (eastern anti-horse sword).

[ 01-02-2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Old 01-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #45
Sythe
Ra

And I just had to ask that question.... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #46
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I gues I am a little late to answer, and realy late to give a comical answer since the discussion has gotten serious, but I have no respect. My weapon of choice?
Meat Cleaver
Old 01-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #47
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Thanks for the info, Spirits Forever. Now if I can just remember "zanbatou" for more than a week.... 'Twas my friend who was into kenshin, and at the time my Japanese was crap and his anime was straight out o' Japan with no subtitles, so the plot elements passed me by.

As for western vs. eastern argument, that's just too complicated to go into. Mainly I figure people either chose based on looks or what they knew. But really it's unfair if you can only choose one. Personally I'd love to have them all, from rapier to bastard sword to whatever odd knife I could get my greedy little paws on.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #48
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

When concerning Western/Eastern debates, I tend to favor the East, yes. I am biased towards the traditional ways of Asia. Their culture appeals to me in more ways than the Western culture does.

However, I am a westerner, a pureblood from the old barbaric Germanian tribes. I have only seen my family weapon once (not even sure that that was it) and know very little about my family's past. I would gladly see it otherwise, but alas.

Now, and you've felt it coming the whole time: calling me a person who makes asinine/rasist remarks is way out of line. I don't know wether you said it in the heat of the moment or genuinly meant what you said, I don't care. It is simply unbefitting for a debater, for you did not show me my error in the first place. And unfortunately, it's a complete conversation stopper....

[ 01-03-2005, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #49
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
(Still dares someone to challenge the 2-d sword)

"Bring it on!!"
Old 01-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #50
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
(Still dares someone to challenge the 2-d sword)

"Bring it on!!"
hah, that's an easy one to destroy, *picks up eraser*
"now where's that sword!"