Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-26-2001, 04:44 PM   #1
MagiK

the subject came up in a philosophicle debate...and I know this might surprise you all but I was in the minority position in my thoughts on this.

To me being ethical requires the following.

Honesty
Loyalty
A code of conduct that you live by and believe in
Having a set of values that consist of: treating others as you want to be treated, opposing evil/wrongs when you see them and standing by your convictions even in the face of danger or ridicule.

I think along with all that CONSISTANCY must also be in there....so what are your thoughts Cleaveland????

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-26-2001, 04:47 PM   #2
Fonzie Forum Tyrant of MH
Dungeon Master

An Inherant respect for them selves, for others, and for their surroundings.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:52 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
the subject came up in a philosophicle debate...and I know this might surprise you all but I was in the minority position in my thoughts on this.

To me being ethical requires the following.

Honesty
Loyalty
A code of conduct that you live by and believe in
Having a set of values that consist of: treating others as you want to be treated, opposing evil/wrongs when you see them and standing by your convictions even in the face of danger or ridicule.

I think along with all that CONSISTANCY must also be in there....so what are your thoughts Cleaveland????

I think having a "set of values" and "code of conduct" pretty much sums it up. The problem defining ethics is that each person can have a different set of values and codes.

My personal code of ethics would be right in line with yours

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Old 10-26-2001, 04:59 PM   #4
MagiK

Yes, people do have different codes of ethics and I think the whole term can be considered rather subjective. Im sure if asked the guys who rammed the planes into the Trade Towers would have said they were ethical.

When it comes to subjective definitions then I sort of defer to what is considerd normal by the majority of the society involved...there being no other place but god to divine absolute truth... a sticky wicket all in all

------------------

Old 10-26-2001, 05:00 PM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I agree with your definition of ethical.

Do tell me that, once sufficient responses have been given to satisfy your curiosity, you will post what the 'majority' thinks ethical is.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-26-2001, 05:05 PM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

Here is an example. Just happened yesterday.

I went to a comicbook shop and bought 3 trade paperbacks.

1)Preacher Book 3: Ancient History $14.95
2)Preacher Book 4: Dixie Fried $14.95
3)Nick Fury Agent of Shield by Jim Steranko $19.95 (All good stuff!)

I didn't pay attention to how much they were at the time. but the bill was something like $36.00.

I was looking them over last night and noted the prices and I saw, without tax, it would be $49.85. I was telling my wife about it and our eyes met and I said, "I have to go back and pay for this!" She wholeheartedly agreed! (That's my Deb!)

You may not know this, but comicbook shops are not very, very profitable. They are a labor of love for the owners, so I knew he could not afford to take any losses, no matter how small.

I called the shop, told him what I thought had happened and he said honest Abe Lincoln was not dead! I told him I'd come by tomorrow to give him the money I owed and I tried to give him my name and phone number. He wouldn't take the info saying he trusts me. I think I shopped at his place maybe 3 times, so I insisted he take the information in case I couldn't make it and then perhaps forget about it. He took my name and number.

Today I drove to his shop, paid what I owed, and then he tried to give me free stuff! I told him, "Honesty requires no reward." I refused the freebees.

Now this may sound like a self serving post, but I felt really great doing what I did and to see the look on his face when I "closed" the deal was more than worth it! I could have used that extra $14.95, but this was the better way to go!

Thanx MagiK, for giving me an opportunity to pat myself on the back on this forum! I give all the credit to my parents - they're the ones who raised me right!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
Old 10-26-2001, 05:07 PM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

*pats Skywalker on the back, too*

, dude!

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-26-2001, 05:15 PM   #8
MagiK

In Reply to Dm, from my in person philosophy discussion the "majority" defined ethical as follows.

to be ethical you must:

Recycle
Not judge others no matter what they do
not steal
be nice to all people
be for gun control
against drugs
for more social welfare
Not own SUV's
use economy cars

The lines there that start with capitol letters were points the majority of the group thought were of primary importance.

The group consisted of 15 people who attend the college where I take night classes, age range was mostly between 18 and 25 with one 30 something and me at 40. It can get to be pretty strange being the "old guy" in that group

------------------

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 10-26-2001).]

Old 10-26-2001, 05:23 PM   #9
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
In Reply to Dm, from my in person philosophy discussion the "majority" defined ethical as follows.

to be ethical you must:

Recycle
Not judge others no matter what they do
not steal
be nice to all people
be for gun control
against drugs
for more social welfare
Not own SUV's
use economy cars

The lines there that start with capitol letters were points the majority of the group thought were of primary importance.

The group consisted of 15 people who attend the college where I take night classes, age range was mostly between 18 and 25 with one 30 something and me at 40. It can get to be pretty strange being the "old guy" in that group

That's a very strange definition of being ethical, esp things like be for gun control. It's only being ethical if that's the code of ethics you believe in. An ethical person is someone who lives by a code of ethics, whatever that may be, IMHO.

------------------

Goddess of Undress
Co-owner of the Evil Petting Zoo and Sorceress of the HADB
OLD COOTS eye candy and Disrobed Division of the ORT
And her sidekick Pink
Old 10-26-2001, 05:25 PM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
That's a very strange definition of being ethical, esp things like be for gun control. It's only being ethical if that's the code of ethics you believe in. An ethical person is someone who lives by a code of ethics, whatever that may be, IMHO.

Personally (apologies if needed) I think that list is whacked!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark