Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-21-2001, 07:54 PM   #31
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well it godo you dont know I mean by the 2000 calf thing.

If you let 2000 calfs go wild (and if you didnt kill cows there would evuachally by 2000 calfs in one place) there would be utter choas. If you get an over population of Calfs then it will be bad, trust me on this one, I am from texas

As for the hunting subject-

its a hobbie, animals have no souls..Just Animals, I dont belive in Animal Cruelty, but there is nothing wrong with hunting in my opoion. I could give you some religous scripts on it but most people here arent Christan

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:55 PM   #32
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
I must say, I beg leave to differ. The way animals are farmed in the developed world, is, as I said before, totally inhumane and disgusting. I don't like hunting, but in many cases, bad as it is, I would prefer it to the intensive farming that produces the food people routinely buy in their supermarkets. An animal that is hunted at least has the chance to live a large part of its life in the open, in freedom. Many animals that are intensively farmed never get such an opportunity. Do you know anything about the poultry industry? The sheep farming industry? The dairy industry? The pig farming industry? It's not pretty, I can assure you.

The intensive way that we farm animals is very bad for the environment. In addition, it makes no economic sense whatsoever when it comes to feeding the world.

I know, Silver Cheetah. It would be better for the environment, and no worse for us if we all ate soy beans, in fact I think evolutionarily it has been shown from our teeth that we in fact are not suposed to be meat eaters. My argument against hunting isn't people who hunt to eat, but people who hunt for recreation. I absolutely agree about the poultry industry etc, there are better more humane ways to do it, but I just don't think it's feasible to argue that we shouldn't eat meat because that will never happen.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-21-2001, 07:57 PM   #33
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Well I am against hunting but I eat meat
Some fascinating facts about egg laying chickens

There are about 250 million hens in U.S. egg factories that supply 95% of the eggs in this country. In these facilities the birds are held in battery cages that are very small with slanted wire floors which cause severe discomfort and foot deformation. Between five and eight birds are crammed in cages only 14 square inches in size.

Since the birds have no room to act naturally, they become very aggressive and attack the other birds in their cage; to help combat this behavior, the birds have their beaks seared off at a young age. The chicks are sorted at birth and newborn males are separated and suffocated in trash bags.

The layer hens are subjected to constant light to encourage greater egg production. At the end of their laying cycle they are either slaughtered or forced to molt by water and food deprivation, which shocks them into another layer cycle.

Many birds become depleted of minerals because of this excessive egg production and either die from fatigue or can no longer produce eggs and are sent to the slaughterhouse.

This is quite normal. This particular example happens to refer to the US, but it's the same in the UK and the rest of Europe.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 08:12 PM   #34
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I know, Silver Cheetah. It would be better for the environment, and no worse for us if we all ate soy beans, in fact I think evolutionarily it has been shown from our teeth that we in fact are not suposed to be meat eaters. My argument against hunting isn't people who hunt to eat, but people who hunt for recreation. I absolutely agree about the poultry industry etc, there are better more humane ways to do it, but I just don't think it's feasible to argue that we shouldn't eat meat because that will never happen.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest a diet of just soy beans! Personally, I love my food, I find eating to be a very sensual experience, and I would be the first to start complaining if my diet was limited in any way.

I think if more people really knew the facts about how our meat is produced, they would become vegetarian. It's rare that we see this kind of information in the media. In the UK, we have had some documentaries, which is good. They are completely horrifying. Children especially find this kind of information horrifying and inexplicable. I think until told, many of them do not equate the plastic wrapped slabs of meat in the supermarket with the piggies and moo cows that they like so much in story books. When they make the connection, they are usually stunned and upset. It's a normal reaction.

I'm often quite puzzled at the vehemence with which people say they couldn't 'give up' meat. What's to give up? There are so many other delicious things to eat... I know lots of people who say they know the facts about intensive farming, but still choose to eat meat. I don't wish to attack anyone, but I find this just bizarre. I think if some of those people spent a day in an intensive farming situation, or in an abbattoir, they might change their minds. So many people love their cats or their dogs, and yet can eat cows and pigs.

One animal, not so very different to another, is to be loved and petted, the other is a machine for milk or meat. Human beings rational? Ho ho ho.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 10:16 PM   #35
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Pro death penalty
CRPG's are GAMES not real. But I have no conflict with them.
In DEFENSE of my FAIMLY, FRIENDS, or Country I could kill or be killed without loosing a wink of sleep.
For Grand-ranger: Give me a legal shot at BAMBI, I'll take it, then mount his head on my wall, and stare at it while I eat venison!

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-21-2001, 10:28 PM   #36
Lady Nightshade
The Magister

Well I don't know about others but to me a game is just that, a game, its not real, i play fantasy CPRG"s for fun and to release tension, I prefer the roleplaying aspect of games and don't just go running around killing anything in my games.
People need to differeatiate (sp) between real life and computer games
Just cause I kill some orcs and gnolls in my games doesn't mean I'd kill anyone in real life and I don't feel computer games glorify violence or anything
I don't play games like DOOM ect cause they just don't appeal to me
I don't like shooters or hack n slash type games

------------------
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fuckin' khakis. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:39 PM   #37
Absynthe

Hey Lady Nightshade, good to see you here. BTW, I love your sig, that was a great show.

------------------

Old 09-21-2001, 10:40 PM   #38
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:

For Grand-ranger: Give me a legal shot at BAMBI, I'll take it, then mount his head on my wall, and stare at it while I eat venison!

LOL!

Right on.

And, LS, It is just a game. But, I think the point he was making is how dose one that is Anty Voilance do things that steal realte to violance...

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Messenger of the Emerald Dragon

May a pregnant yak chew on your ear for all eternity.