Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Tyros the Demon Slayer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As I've been doing more and more experimenting with different party combinations, how fast I level up, etc., one recurring question has come to mind.

Does your entire party need to hit a level milestone in order to trigger the next set of monsters and chest items, or is one character reaching that level sufficient.

For example, if my entire party is level 5, and I go to the Umpani Base Camp to pick up Saxx (Level 8), does that shift me to the 6+ category, or am I still level 5 until everyone is level 6 and higher?

Relatedly, if I pick up Saxx temporarily (i.e., to id some items), and then release him, does my party revert to a lower level?

Thanks in advance -- this will help with the further experimentation I plan to do.
Tyros the Demon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
xfactor
Dungeon Master

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's worked out by the highest level in the party. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny that for you.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Tyros

This is from Flame's website. Doesn't really say what happens if you add a high level NPC to the party but useful info on chest drops and how level sensoring works.

However, reading between the lines I think Xfactor may be right, it depends on the highest level in the party.

Click on Item Index and then on Chest and Drop List explained or on Level Sensor Chart.

http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8...trykes_w8.html
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Party average, rounded down, including RPC's. I found this out with the parties i tried with a dead L1 character for "balast" to make random spawns easier.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
Psyborg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Be careful about being below the minimum level range for an area though, because then it will throw ANYTHING at you. I was only Level 2 when I went into the Upper Monastery, and the very first encounter was Pestilent Rats which proceeded to beat me senseless. [img]smile.gif[/img] I loaded my game, leveled up to level 3 and then all I met were the Gnawer and some Rabid rats.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually I hit the Pestilent Rats and my party was at level 5+6. They just slaughtered me. I went 'below' and trained up some skills...when I came back they were gone. I came back to the Monastery at level 10 and ran into these critters again...ah sweet retribution!!!

[ 02-02-2005, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: LewyRay ]
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Besides monster encounters, what else does average level affect?

Also what may cause the computer to keep spawning higher level critters? I have everyone at level 12 (holding them there on purpose), but keep getting encounters with level 15 (swamp-dreadmares,mosquitos) and level 17 (Bayjin-Curare Crabs).
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Psyborg

Same thing happened to me. Pestilient rats should only appear if your party is level 6 or above.

When I met them I assumed they were rabid or gnawer rats and imagine my horror when I put the mouse cursor over one an it said 88 HP. I then realised what they were. I ran for my life, literally.

By the way, how did you get past Gregor at level 2? My Ninja got a lucky shot in for me.

LewyRay

Although I was level 2 I could have levelled up to level 5 or 6 and wondered if that's why they appeared. But would the programming look at XP gained rather than levels though?
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
Psyborg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ahh the Gregor...it took a few tries. I'm doing a challenge party basically, on Normal difficulty. Male Fellpurr Samurai, Female Human Monk, Male Human Bard, Female Faerie Bishop. I believe I lured him into the hall, and my Bard who had trained Music up just from using it put him to sleep every other round. It didn't ALWAYS work but it worked enough to let my Samurai get some nice hits in. I lost one person, but had a ressurection powder.

Sleep is great, even if it goes away at the first hit the same round it's cast, the enemy still does not get an attack. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Also what may cause the computer to keep spawning higher level critters? I have everyone at level 12 (holding them there on purpose), but keep getting encounters with level 15 (swamp-dreadmares,mosquitos) and level 17 (Bayjin-Curare Crabs).
It's normal that monster level my be a bit higher as the party level. Oozites (level 18 IIRC) start appearing in the swamp once i'm around level 15 (and i like them). Odds might be higher if you're playing on expert (like i do), but 2-3 levels above party level isn't unusual.

I've went to Rapax castle several times with level 11 parties (with enough xp for level 13, when i reach there). But i get random encounters with monsters up to level 17 (samurai). What should the game do, throw only patrols at me?

I think the areas have some level of monsters that the might throw even at the lowest level parties. I assume that level could be 15 for bayjin and rapax areas. Then a low level party would be treated as if they were level 15, and sometimes you get monsters 2-3 levels above your own.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote