Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Apparantly, some of the Alpha testers leaked bits and pieces of the World of Warcraft Source code, and certain elements have used this to start their own (completly illegal) server. Which is buggy as hell, does not include monsters or encounters and in which you can do little more then walk around. But still... disturbing. First Half Life 2, now this. Maybe it's the latest trend in the Game Industry.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Maybe it's the latest trend in the Game Industry.

If it is a trend, then i'm probably going to quit gaming and start sewing. Seriously though, hackers and people who do this stuff in general are realy dumbasses, why would they do something like that? There's no cash reward, and most of blizzard and valve hates their guts, as well as the people who hope to play HL2 and WoW games sometime in the NEAR future. BTW is it possible to be night elves in WoW?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Letter

Considering my Mom just recently got run over in a hit a run by a 13 year old on an ATV I don't find this news disturbing. Disgusting but not disturbing!!!

[ 01-12-2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 01-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
dplax
Jack Burton

What is the point by the way in such buggy versions of games, like the HL2 and WoW material leaked on the net? Those who play them are just ruining the full game for themselves, and putting off several months for those, who would want to tenjoy it and play it.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Why run a server with no monsters and nothing to do?

And doesn't alpha testers have to sign some kind of agreement not to release any material?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
And doesn't alpha testers have to sign some kind of agreement not to release any material?
thats why its called "illegal"

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Just to start out on this coversation, let me point out who ever did this, is clearly not a hacker. Hackers can tap into AOL and FBI files, this is really small compared to that. No, this was done by a little group of really bored guys if you want my take on it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
What is the point by the way in such buggy versions of games, like the HL2 and WoW material leaked on the net? Those who play them are just ruining the full game for themselves, and putting off several months for those, who would want to tenjoy it and play it.
Pardon my language and all, but if you really want to know the point of it, people are assholes. The whole point behind it is just to annoy people because they've nothing better to do, because (I guess) they get some pleasure out of ruining someone else's day.

BTW, sorry to hear about your mother pritchke, you both have my best wishes.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
quote:

thats why its called "illegal" [/QUOTE]Then I'm sure they can sue them, IF they figure out who it is.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

This might help a bit so you know exactly what happened (a direct quote I took from Bliizards WoW forums). I put in bold the matter at hand

"As many of you know, we are currently conducting an internal Alpha test for World of Warcraft. Our goal for this Alpha test is to provide the best possible experience for players when the Beta launches in early 2004.

In order to accelerate the testing process, we recently allowed a small group of external testers to play the game. During this process, a collection of files was leaked to the Internet. While these files contain alpha content from the game, they are not fully playable and therefore do not convey the experience that World of Warcraft will provide when it is released.

We are currently investigating this matter and will take serious action against those involved.

As always, we appreciate the interest and enthusiasm that players around the world have for World of Warcraft, and we look forward to delivering a massively multiplayer game unlike any you have ever experienced. Until then, we ask that you refrain from sharing any content that doesn't come directly from Blizzard Entertainment.

Lastly, we would like to announce that sign-ups for the World of Warcraft Beta test will begin at the end of this month. Stay tuned to www.blizzard.com for further details."

@Degrader- NE is a playable race, along with Undead, Trolls, Orcs, Humans, Dwarves, Tauren, and Gnomes.

[ 01-12-2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Lady Blue03 ]
Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Hope your mom gets better real soon pritchke. [img]smile.gif[/img]