Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2002, 12:42 PM   #11
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Average speed on 56k: 4kb/s
Average speed on my new ADSL: 16kb/s

Much better, and the price is similar as well [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 06-29-2002, 12:44 PM   #12
Animal
Gold Dragon

Whoa, if that's all you're getting on ADSL you have a problem. You should be around 300kb/s-400kb/s at the very least.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:16 PM   #13
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I have been using 56K for the past 3 year. I just applied for an ADSL connection, should be in any moment now... Sheesh, I really hate all this waiting game.
Old 06-29-2002, 02:17 PM   #14
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
Whoa, if that's all you're getting on ADSL you have a problem. You should be around 300kb/s-400kb/s at the very least.
No, its capped at 128k/s with translates roughly and in pracitce to 16K/s
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 06-29-2002, 02:20 PM   #15
TAOWolf
White Dragon

DSL won't be available for a year or so, where I live in the boon-docks.... [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] , but we have it at work, course with 500 computers on the mainframe, even ADSL is slow when everyone is on the net at the same time.......

May the moon always shine upon your face, and your imagination soar to the heavens.... Chan ann leis a’chiad bhuille thuiteas a’chraobh.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:52 PM   #16
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
quote:
No, its capped at 128k/s with translates roughly and in pracitce to 16K/s[/QUOTE]Thats all you have? With CABLE I'm getting usually around 100-120 kb/s. Its capped at 350
Old 06-29-2002, 04:05 PM   #17
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Scholarcs:
quote:
No, its capped at 128k/s with translates roughly and in pracitce to 16K/s[/QUOTE]16 kilobytes per second sounds right for a line capped at 128 kilobits per second. But 128 k/s is a rediculous cap for ADSL - ISDN can run that fast. You got ripped IMHO.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:14 PM   #18
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Ok 128kbs is 16k a second they do the measurements of internet speed in kilibites a second not kilibytes a second you have to divide the number by eight to get actuall k's a second as most are regulary looking at it, its a markiting play on the retailers part to fool people into thinking its faster than it really is just so you know.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:08 PM   #19
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Still on the 64K dialup - damn that blown hot water system - when I get back from my holiday (that's the other expense) I will sign up for 512K broadband.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:02 PM   #20
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
16 kilobytes per second sounds right for a line capped at 128 kilobits per second. But 128 k/s is a rediculous cap for ADSL - ISDN can run that fast. You got ripped IMHO.
No, because I only need one line (it splits the line) and now I am paying the same as I was for a dial-up account with an extra phone line. And there is no download limit, I don`t pay per MB. There is no competition either, cable isn`t here yet.

And Blade, yes I know