Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 03-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Daniel_M
Elminster

I think this is the most powerful film I've ever seen, and it makes me respect film, the cinematic medium, more than I ever have before. I think it's a film of immense emotional magnitude and I would undeniably consider it to be a masterpiece. This is an intensely personal film that strikes you in the heart, and flanks you with images of brutality and beauty, evil and good, cruelty and complete, absolute, love. It's a cinematic masterpiece.

First of all, I loved the sound of the Aramaic language. I loved the Latin spoken with hints of Italian accents and without the academic dryness that has haunted it for so long. Who knew dead languages were so poetic? These languages added a great deal to the whole experience of the film. We experience this film, instead of watching it. We break through and take part in it, similar to how we can take part in theater.

I did not feel, as many critics said, that it was an "angry" film. I think it was the complete opposite. It is brutal and intense, but I found the message of Love in this film to be incredibly powerful and the crux of the whole thing: that through all this, Jesus never had hatred in His eyes. It doesn't need to be explained, mere glimpses in this speak more than pages of dialogue; that has always been a device I've loved - the power of the human face. I felt that the numerous acts of kindness and love from strangers, be they looks or gestures or even more, in this film drove it further and lifted the audience from the savagery, which they are meant to do.

No one can leave this film ambivalent about Jesus or His mission. Watching it, seeing his pain and vicariously enduring it, you must either accept Him as Messiah or dismiss Him as a madman. "The Passion" was made by dedicated, committed people and will demand the same of anyone, curious to brave enough, choosing to view it.

Overall, It's beautiful and profound. I think it's a work of true art. It is a brave, brave piece of filmmaking on many levels, and it will stand the test of time.

Any thoughts, views, comments on this movie?

[EDIT] Sorry for posting the thread again in this forum, I didnt see the other thread listed at the time.

[ 03-02-2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Daniel_M ]
Old 03-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Spirits forever

FHHHPPHHH! who cares....abotut the other one...yet..
i wanna watch the movie, what's the rating.. "R" right

i wanna but not old enough!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">Finally watched this on the weekend. Very powerful film, very symbolic film as well, moving, and sickening at the same time, I was crying quit a bit.

Very good movie!! I don't think it was the best movie of Christ ever made but it was the best and most detailed film ever made on his crucifixion.</font>

[ 09-13-2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Bloodshed, suffering and torment in film has yet to make me cry. They're just no match for the real thing.

I wonder if it will be as thoughtful in its exploration of Jesus as The Last Temptation of Christ was...I'll see it soon.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Oblivion437:
Bloodshed, suffering and torment in film has yet to make me cry. They're just no match for the real thing.

I wonder if it will be as thoughtful in its exploration of Jesus as The Last Temptation of Christ was...I'll see it soon.
<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#00FF00">It isn't exactly the Bloodshed, suffering and torment that makes me cry. It was more the sense of perverse justice being done to someone who had committed no crime, or the bonds of family and friendship of those who had to watch but were powerless to stop it, or of a mother watching her son fall but unable to aid, and the fact that even after all that was done he had the strength to pray and ask for the forgiveness of those responsible for it.

I do admit The Roman cat of nine tails scene was pretty brutal.</font>

[ 09-13-2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

My mom loaned me the Dvd but I am worried about watching it, not because of the topic of it, but have been told that it is pretty violent, and my kids do not need to watch it, so when do I have time? heh maybe tomorrow...
Old 09-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well Stormy let me know if you liked it or not. As it stands now I have no desire to watch this film. I think the endless beating will be to much for me.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #8
uss
20th Level Warrior

This was a really cool movie! This really made me respect Mel Gibson a lot for making the movie as close to the real thing as possible. Never before watching this movie had I seen something in which I would change nothing. The Passion of Christ was, in a sense, flawless.

I went to the movies with my brother and father. My father, being the ex-head of a Christian church, was quite shocked with all the graphic violence in this movie, but
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

<font color=plum><font color=yellow>Daniel_M</font> - Your opening post is the most eloquent, yet thorough, review of the film I have seen so far...and I read many of the reviews and comments about it.

I especially appreciate your perceptiveness in explaining how mere gestures and facial expressions literally impart volumes of information to the viewer.

I also agree that you "experience" this film instead of watching it.

I saw it in the theater twice. During my first trip, I sat in the very back row of the theater (because I got there a few minutes late and the previews were already playing). During the Scourging scene, a lady got up and left the theater, but returned a little later and sat down two seats from me. When the scene of Jesus carrying His Cross out of the city began, she turned to me and asked "WHY do they keep beating Him? WHY don't they stop?" I was crying too much to answer her. Then she turned to the screen and kept saying "STOP IT! STOP IT!!"

I wanted to remind her that it WAS "just" a movie...but it so vividly captures the torment that Jesus willingly endured, it is very easy to forget that it is just a depiction instead of the real thing.

A friend of mine once asked me which historical figure I would want to go visit if I had a time machine. He said he would like to visit General Robert E. Lee or Ulysses S. Grant from the Civil War. I thought long and hard, but couldn't think of ANY historical figure that compared in significance to Jesus Christ.

I told him that - if I had a Time Machine - the ONE event I would want to visit would be the Crucifixion...so that I could see first-hand the suffering Jesus endured to provide absolution of my sins.

After seeing The Passion of the Christ, I doubt I would be able to endure watching that spectacle in real life. I wept openly in the theater both times I watched the movie and I bought the DVD the first day it was released.

To me, it is easily the greatest film ever made.</font>
Old 09-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #10
Gxc
Elminster

A while ago i saw this film but never saw the whole thing, maybe ill rewatch it so i can remember some more of the stuff on it.