Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2001, 01:16 AM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
My views are very much the same as Tracys in this matter. And remember Yorick those views are OUR opinions. We are entitled to them as much as you are to yours. Are you saying we are not allowed to say these things?

I'm saying you should speak about your own position rather than generalisingly speculate about other peoples motives. Say what you like Azure. The consequence will be hurt, insult, anger and disdain in those you insultingly belittle, but you're right. You can say anything you want.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-10-2001, 01:24 AM   #22
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

I'm saying you should speak about your own position rather than generalisingly speculate about other peoples motives. Say what you like Azure. The consequence will be hurt, insult, anger and disdain in those you insultingly belittle, but you're right. You can say anything you want.

Hey Yorick man sorry. I was in a bit of a bad mood earlier when I posted this and it didnt come out right. What I was trying to say was that religous people tend to generalise as well. It infuriates me when some (not all) of them say that we are missing something in our lives because we havent found god. That is making an assumption and IMO is simply not true. But once again I came across badly in that last post and I apologise

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:26 AM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Hey Yorick man sorry. I was in a bit of a bad mood earlier when I posted this and it didnt come out right. What I was trying to say was that religous people tend to generalise as well. It infuriates me when some (not all) of them say that we are missing something in our lives because we havent found god. That is making an assumption and IMO is simply not true. But once again I came across badly in that last post and I apologise

That's alright. No worries. All is forgiven.

------------------

Old 10-10-2001, 01:31 AM   #24
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

That's alright. No worries. All is forgiven.

Thanx I didnt want to leave here today with someone angry or annoyed at me. There are enough bad vibes around already.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:33 AM   #25
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Thanx I didnt want to leave here today with someone angry or annoyed at me. There are enough bad vibes around already.

------------------

Old 10-10-2001, 02:24 AM   #26
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
I discern between spirituality and religion.
My thinking is...Your spirituality belongs to you, You belong to a religion.( though some say they have a religion, it has them too) The individual mentality as opposed to a group mentality.
Religious individuals can practice spirituality, dont get me wrong.

I practice eclectic shamanism, and I claim all religions as my own, to study and find for myself what beliefs serve a purpose in light of logic, intuition and conscience.

BTW Tracey, I can see the jaded perspective as well, alot of religions have plenty of bad to go with the good. I'm not offended my a religous cynic, considering the evidence one could present concerning the bad of religion. You have a right to your beliefs, as I have a right to mine, even if some people are offended by them.
Hey G'Kar...I just agreed with you again. Damn. This is getting to be a habit.

Having grown up in a family that was split between Irish Catholicism and Southern Baptism I was exposed to some...interesting views.(And boy, were the family reunions fun! ) When I became old enough to start forming my own opinion, I started sampling other religions. Mormonism(Creepy!), Seventh Day Adventists(Giving up Saturdays SUCKED!), Roman Catholicism(Pew Aerobics{STAND, SIT, KNEEL, PRAY, SING, SIT, STAND, PRAY...REST}). A few others. Got really disillusioned by all their views of spitiruality, and developed a severe abhorrence for religion. Got into Eastern philosophy, then found the philosophy which defines my current spititual path, Taoism.

Anyway...that's a rather rambling answer. Sorry. NyQuil is starting to kick in. Hope it helped/made sense Tuor.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 10-10-2001, 03:08 AM   #27
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Hey Nachtrafe, get some sleep and take care of yourself before I have to come over there and make you do it!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

"I've had it up to here, listening to a small segment of people try to put down America! America's the greatest land on Earth, and we oughta be proud of what we have! I'm proud of America, I'm proud of our people, and I'm gonna prove it. We're American and DAMN proud of it! Frankly I'm getting a little ticked off...go ta ****"... Dink (if anyone knows who originally said this, please let me know!)
Old 10-10-2001, 03:08 AM   #28
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
I practice eclectic shamanism, and I claim all religions as my own, to study and find for myself what beliefs serve a purpose in light of logic, intuition and conscience.
G'kar, how do you justify the contradictory nature of this statement? Surely by embracing all religions - even those that are opposite from each other - you are actually creating your own religion, a new ecumenical relgion seperate from say Monotheistic and exclusive religions such as Judaism and Islam. To be Islamic is to adhere to a set of behavioural patterns. The actions define the religion, so simply believing Mohummads teaching is not enough to be Islamic. Are you performing the necessary actions of Islam?

I am being serious and not trying to initiate an argument. I am seeking to understand how you have justified the contradictory nature of ecumenicism.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-10-2001).]
Old 10-10-2001, 05:33 AM   #29
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Tuor,

I got to this post after reading a bunch of angry posts about serious threads, and ironically, the mere presence of this thread was the *funniest* thing I've seen!
If I made it all the way to the Anubis rank with posts, I don't think I could convince anyone to belive in God if he didn't want to. Furthermore, I don't believe that is my part to do. If someone has a question, instead of a fight to pick, I'll be glad to help as I can. I'll try to be as secular as I can, although I intend to be thoroughly silly to exaggerate my points.
(Tuor)

."I personally don't believe in God, or anything else probably mainly because I can't reconcile myself to the thought that if there were a God he would let so much unpleasantness happen in the world."
This is a thought that troubles all belivers and nonbelievers at some point. "Why did God do this?" or "Why didn't God do that?" Look at it this way, when I was a kid, and pooped my pants, I could have questioned my Mom "why didn't you ask me if I needed to go to the bathroom?" (it was her fault, see) or "If you didn't feed me all of that food (which I was thankful for when I cried in hunger) I wouldn't have any poop with which to squish in my diaper, and I would'nt be dirty". Or maybe "If you had just not made it with my Dad that night, I wouldn't have pooped my pants just now, because I never would have been born".
What I should have said was "Thank you for giving me life, thank you for giving me food, and thank you for cleaning me when I was dirty and no one else wanted to come near me because I smell like the inside of a colon."
I could say that all the arguments on this board are Ziroc's fault, because he was nice enough to make us a place to share our thoughts. Can you see a similarity? It's a matter of perspective. I'm completely thrilled to be mad, insane, and delusional as others have posted, becuase I'm the happiest I've ever been. If those other people don't want any god, good for them.
One thing that (some) athiests may fail to realize, is how important God is to a believer. If I were to make a post about what a wh**e one's mother is, and then say, well if you don't like me calling your mother a sl*t, then don't read the post, that person would probably still be upset (doncha think?). So, with that in mind, it would be nice to *RESPECTFULLY* disagree with people about perhaps the single most important concept in their lives instead of antagonizing and baiting.
Neither parties minds will be changed in the end; only a lot of tired fingers from typing so much.

Old 10-10-2001, 05:39 AM   #30
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
Hey Nachtrafe, get some sleep and take care of yourself before I have to come over there and make you do it!

Hmmm..."make (me) do it"...Sounds interesting. Although that's a pretty long trip just to bonk me on the head.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"