Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

After waiting for over a week, I finally found HOTU in my mailbox this morning. Hurrah.. cause for celebration. So I open the box, insert the disk into my CD-ROM player, and.. nothing. No Autorun, nothing. So, I run Setup manually. And I was quite shocked to get a 'Shadows of Undrentide' install screen. I can't believe they're still making these kinds of mistakes. Since I was kind of hoping they've made a mistake, I ran setup anyway. No use, of course. Anyway, once you open the choam around the package, you can no longer return it. So I guess I get to invest another 30 bucks into a working version of HOTU.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Can't you even return it to atari saying that it's the wrong game in the box. You should be able to get a replacement disk
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

No way...where did you buy it from? There HAS to be a warrenty or replacement on the defective item. They cannot fault you for this mistake. Give us some info and see if we can help out. That is what this website is about.

[ 12-30-2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-30-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

*Groans* I just mailed Atari and the site I ordered it from. Unfortunately..
Ten minutes ago, I found out that my second CD-ROM drive isn't working. Now, in the working drive was my copy of SOU. See where this is going? God, I feel really bad about this. But what is worse is that I re-installed SOU with the HOTU CD Key, which I can now no longer use to install HOTU. Normally, I could just re-install, but my original KEY for SOU lies in a closet half a country away. I can be suuuuuuuuuch a gith.

What a day.

[ 12-30-2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 12-30-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Smooth. Real smooth.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:58 PM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Totally embarrassing, but in a twisted way.. kind of funny

So, I mailed an apology to Tech support. Afterwards, I remembered I had previously installed NWN+SOU on another computer. So, I copied the INI file of that PC, and used it to override the new one. I'm installing HOTU as we speak.

*sighs* thanks for reading 'another day in the live of a gamer'. Also available under the title 'how to waste valuable time'.

I hope this game is worth it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:

I hope this game is worth it [img]smile.gif[/img]
definitely!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

To recover the SoU key...I think you had another way that you might not have been aware of.

All three keys are saved in a notepad file called nwncdkey. I do not know if this file goes away when installing/reinstalling/deleting of games. You know that some files stay in the folder even after deletion of the game...and maybe when you reinstalled SoU...it would have had less chance to disappear. I dunno.

Anyway, I hope you are having a better day now that you at least have the truth sorted out.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
All three keys are saved in a notepad file called nwncdkey. I do not know if this file goes away when installing/reinstalling/deleting of games. You know that some files stay in the folder even after deletion of the game...and maybe when you reinstalled SoU...it would have had less chance to disappear. I dunno.
Are you really sure, I think that file might be encoded as those keys are very important and it seems Bioware is blocking all ways to easily recover them without passwords. Edit: oh I see it. Those keys are CD dependent aren't they, and on the Bioware boards you can't use a key that's already used isn't it? Otherwise it might be bette rto delete it

Come to speak of that, if you have a Bioware account on the forums you can retrieve cd keys there

[ 12-30-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: philip ]