Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

I need to get it for edwin spoil me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
BaRoN NiGhT

well, u have to get a rogue stone first, then go to southwest of the bridge district at the house, near where u find the guy-in-red.the door is facing the sea.but i recommend u doing it on chapter 6, cause yer gonna face one of the toughest battle in SoA, unless u read some good tactics [img]smile.gif[/img]

--------------------
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

StotM is one of the most powerful (and cheesiest) items in the game.
If you want to ease your way I'd recommend getting it early but think up some good tactics for it.
It's not that tough a battle in unmodded SoA (with bonus merchants however - and some people would say it's the toughest battle) if you use a little brain or a little cheese.

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You'll face
1 Lich
1 Beholder
1 Vampire
1 Mage (who has the staff)
I think I forgot someone - whatever
They are all very powerful but can be beaten with the right equipment (Daystar, RotR, MoD, Shield of Balduran,...)
and will reward you with plenty of XP and nice items.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:22 AM   #4
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
StotM is one of the most powerful (and cheesiest) items in the game.
If you want to ease your way I'd recommend getting it early but think up some good tactics for it.
It's not that tough a battle in unmodded SoA (with bonus merchants however - and some people would say it's the toughest battle) if you use a little brain or a little cheese.

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You'll face
1 Lich
1 Beholder
1 Vampire
1 Mage (who has the staff)
I think I forgot someone - whatever
They are all very powerful but can be beaten with the right equipment (Daystar, RotR, MoD, Shield of Balduran,...)
and will reward you with plenty of XP and nice items.
you forgot 2 creatures:the warrior and layenes (mage) pit fiend which she well summon when she sees u.

--------------------
Old 06-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
Minchandre
Dungeon Master

The warrior is naked, so he's not a problem. What I usually do is take out the beholder, vampire, and warrior in that order; then, while the mage is fighting her own pit fiend, I take out the lich (which is hard, but not too bad if you have pierce magic, RRoR, Breach, etc.). The mage is now significantly weakened, and I smash her. I keep the lich from killing me with death spell and wail of the banshee with summons (I find skeletons [resist wail of banshee and PW:Kill/Stun] and fire elementals best [FE's can hit through the lich's defensive spells until they die]). Its a pretty involved battle, but I should Kangaxx was harder. And the SotM is better than RoG, IMHO.
Minchandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Minchandre:
The warrior is naked, so he's not a problem. What I usually do is take out the beholder, vampire, and warrior in that order; then, while the mage is fighting her own pit fiend, I take out the lich (which is hard, but not too bad if you have pierce magic, RRoR, Breach, etc.). The mage is now significantly weakened, and I smash her. I keep the lich from killing me with death spell and wail of the banshee with summons (I find skeletons [resist wail of banshee and PW:Kill/Stun] and fire elementals best [FE's can hit through the lich's defensive spells until they die]). Its a pretty involved battle, but I should Kangaxx was harder. And the SotM is better than RoG, IMHO.
includes a few spoilers
except spell levels 5 and under dont affect liches(this lich isnt any different, is he?). it sucks, i know...fire elementals are good i guess, but theres always that chance of it turning against you(unless you use the staff of fire, or the druid spell). this battle is a bit more fun with the tactics version, though in the end, it doesnt make much of a difference. the beholder btw is really a hive mother...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I suggest you leave that fight until Chapter Six at the earliest. That fight can be tough for young characters. (And Edwin doesn't *need* the staff. What's he gonna use it for--whackin' things over the head? You have warriors to do that, right? Right? )

Baron: Please have a heart for us on dialup connections and reduce the size of the pic in your sig.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

cheesy spoilers ahead
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Now these cheesy tactics include a lot of items you can get early but won't have necessarily.
Gather your party by the stairs and approach the room with one of your tanks.
Run back once Shangalar appears and cast Sunray (from Daystar maybe with you cleric too if you have one able to do it) plus use the RotR on him. That should take him out.
Now approach the Hive monster/Beholder armed with Shield of Balduran (or Cloak of mirroring but you won't have that in Chap2) and watch him petrify himself.
Now to the Vampire -> Azuredge or MoD
Lure the warriors to you and finish them as you like.
The mage (as every mage in plain SoA) is easy. Just approach and pull out of her sight.
Watch her waste her spells (time stop and the like) without an enemy to fight. She'll fight and kill her Pit fiend yada yada yada
When you feel fit attack her and whack her down.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:03 AM   #9
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirengle:
I suggest you leave that fight until Chapter Six at the earliest. That fight can be tough for young characters. (And Edwin doesn't *need* the staff. What's he gonna use it for--whackin' things over the head? You have warriors to do that, right? Right? )

Baron: Please have a heart for us on dialup connections and reduce the size of the pic in your sig.
ok, sorry for that [img]smile.gif[/img] ,anyway, thanks for your opinion.

--------------------
-In PrOcEsS-

[ 06-23-2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: BaRoN NiGhT ]
Old 06-23-2003, 07:03 AM   #10
Raistlin Majere
Ra

you can also cast cloudkill(spell or wand) on the mage so that she starts to gradually take damage. btw, what is RotR

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote