Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Someone got a little creative with their land, knowing what Google maps does.

Note: Not exactly a family-friendly map location. You've been warned...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

LOL

Funny stuff.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I tried to find it with Google Earth outside that link, to find out if it was real or faked on the picture, but I cannot get any closer than within a couple large cities of it. I was trying to follow the names of the roads, but I just had no luck. It is somewhere in Great Britain, North of Birmingham...
Old 02-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

There are thousands of creative artists out of work! Then, there are people with too much time on thier hands, but not enough skill. At least one should be able to use layers, and blurs prior to attempting something of this nature.
One of my personal favorites.

[ 02-11-2006, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
There are thousands of creative artists out of work! Then, there are people with too much time on thier hands, but not enough skill. At least one should be able to use layers, and blurs prior to attempting something of this nature.
Actualy, it seems to be made of bales of hay, 'artisticaly' lined up. No photoshop involved. Really. Go see. Coordinates 53.53874N 1.346804W.

[ 02-11-2006, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Prime time to bring it up...anybody play with Google Earth any? It's a great program...I just wish it was available offline...

One of these days, it would be nice to have a COMPLETE photographic map of the earth...

This is very CLOSE to that goal, but isn't very high resolution for some areas.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Actualy, it seems to be made of bales of hay, 'artisticaly' lined up. No photoshop involved. Really. Go see. Coordinates 53.53874N 1.346804W. [/QUOTE]Damn, don't make me...Go into ....
Thou you are good with hardware!!!!!
As a amatur photographer, and one who can hold their own in GIMP, or that overly priced PS software, I will give you three hints.

1. Google copyright transposed underneath the second layer of the u to c, and c to k. Now look at the rest of the picture. Not a coincedence, a slight of hand!
2. Shadow, look at the shadow of the trees, the power-line tower, the cars, and then look at the letters. The natural shadow flows from base to upper left. The letters however, flow from center to lower right. A terrible mistake!
3. The finale, go down to the next field, and look at those "hay bales"!

Understand that, Google has NOT done anything out of the ordinary here. For years I have viewed the earth from above using different types of satellite imagery, some from military grade, some from scientific grade, and others from various terra servers. Sadly, the 'free' version of terra server for the UK, does not zoom in to this detail.

Now, the question is, who has a satellite view of this area other than the google view?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

By Google Earth, .6 miles away, there's a crop circle...I'd be willing to bet that it's local pranksters after said "occurance"s

I've gotta disagree with you on this one, Felix, mostly by the circumstantial evidence of the crop circles. There's no google copyright on the image in Google Earth...

Finally, after careful examination...Felix, the letters are in NEGATIVE. They're in grain that has been laid down, not hay bales on top of a cut grain field...which makes the shadows consistent.

Yep. It's the work of some pranksters, in response to that crop circle to the South West.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I searched in google.co.uk for Billingley, which is a city just east of this spot. It came back. I panned around a lot as well. Anyone who'd fake this would be duplicating all of google maps in the UK...

I found the area on several other maps. It's near Rotherham and Goldthorpe.

Just couldn't find another satellite image... anyone know where one might be available?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
By Google Earth, .6 miles away, there's a crop circle...I'd be willing to bet that it's local pranksters after said "occurance"s

I've gotta disagree with you on this one, Felix, mostly by the circumstantial evidence of the crop circles. There's no google copyright on the image in Google Earth...

Finally, after careful examination...Felix, the letters are in NEGATIVE. They're in grain that has been laid down, not hay bales on top of a cut grain field...which makes the shadows consistent.

Yep. It's the work of some pranksters, in response to that crop circle to the South West.
Hold up, One of us is confused here.
Crop circle? No, no comparison.
Google copyright? Correct, looking at the whole, it does not appear with Google earth, only on the direct link.
Letters, yes, look at the tree. From center base, the shadow moves up and left, or North by West or NW. Within the letters, the shadow moves South by East or SE. This can be exemplified by looking into the inner part of the letters. Right, they are not hay bales.
Pranksters, Yes, most certainly! But of which genere?

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen