Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-15-2002, 11:17 AM   #21
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

hmmm...must be a good site ... work filters kicked it right out...will have to wait til I get home to discuss. But looking forward to the reading. This is the type of discussion that makes IW what it is. I know that there are many different viewpoints here, but no one is getting heated and everyone is being respectful of other's views... [img]smile.gif[/img]

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 05-15-2002, 11:26 AM   #22
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Azurewolf,
YOU ARE GOING TO BURN AT THE STAKE!!!!

just messin with you.

thanks for the site, being tthe ignorant Boob that I am, I didnt know anything about satanism.
while I myself do not agree with the satanic religion, I respect some of their beliefs and find them rather "fasinating"...

and I give props to Cerek for being an all around cool guy!
Old 05-15-2002, 01:10 PM   #23
Azred
Drow Priestess

That was, indeed, a very well-organized and well-written site.

Satan, as Father of Lies and Prince of Hell, exists only for Christians. If you are not Christian, or never were, then there is no Satan.
No offense to anyone, of course, but I would consider anyone coming up to me and saying "I am a Satanist" or "I worship Satan" as someone who has a need for attention or notoriety; I would refer them to a good counselor/psychiatrist.

re: Satanic Ritual Abuse. Anyone who even halfway believes in this has lost touch with reality, slipping over into full-blown paranoia. I place SRA in the same category as alien abductees (seriously, why would aliens take humans? [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img] ) and "recovered memories" (under hypnosis, I realized that my parents abused me during my entire childhood). They make good tabloid headlines or trash-talk shows, but have no basis in reality.

@AzureWolf: got a light? [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:19 PM   #24
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
@AzureWolf: got a light? [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]
Yikes now everyone wants to burn me at the stake.....I'm not that hated as a tyranical overlord am I? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2002, 03:46 PM   #25
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
What things in particular did you find disturbing, Cerek?
The main thing was the belief that Wiccans have "sold out" because they only use positive magic. A Satanist should use good magic to benefit themselves, but should also use harmful magic to seek revenge on their enemies. (listed under the Religious Satanist).

This violates Christian values on several levels. First, Christians are admonished to have nothing whatsoever to do with witches, mediums, warlocks, diviners, or other persons who tap into supernatural forces to gain knowledge and/or power.

Secondly, Jesus instructs Christians to love thier enemy as they love themselves. (I admit that most Christians fall FAR short on this one, myself included).

There were other points, but that's to be expected. The two theologies are diametrically opposed, so there isn't going to be much common ground.

BTW, Azurewolf, Christians don't do much burning at the stake anymore. OSHA regulations have made it practically impossible to hold a good witch-burning and still follow all the guidelines.
(although you might want to be wary of netherwordly flames later on. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] )

Heck, it's all we can do to get enough of us together for a good, Sunday-night stoning anymore. [img]graemlins/3laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/3laugh.gif[/img]

Ah..don't worry, A.W., I'm just messin' with ya. [img]graemlins/3laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2002, 03:55 PM   #26
Absynthe

BTW, Azurewolf, Christians don't do much burning at the stake anymore. OSHA regulations have made it practically impossible to hold a good witch-burning and still follow all the guidelines.
(although you might want to be wary of netherwordly flames later on. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img] )

>[/QB][/QUOTE]

Does that mean I can finally take off my asbestos underwear? Good deal, those things are itchy !

Seriously, though, excellent site, very balanced and informative, and a good discussion too. Cerek, it's awfully nice to discuss things with people of different faiths who are level-headed and avoid insults and name-calling. Far too many discussions of various faiths degenerate into rants and angry epithets.

Old 05-15-2002, 03:59 PM   #27
Sir Michael
Manshoon

What a wimpy kind of Satanism! I want the kind where I bargain with the big, fiery, red guy, give him my soul, and get POWER and WEALTH! Yeah, baby!
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 05-15-2002, 04:12 PM   #28
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
What things in particular did you find disturbing, Cerek?
The main thing was the belief that Wiccans have "sold out" because they only use positive magic. A Satanist should use good magic to benefit themselves, but should also use harmful magic to seek revenge on their enemies. (listed under the Religious Satanist).

This violates Christian values on several levels. First, Christians are admonished to have nothing whatsoever to do with witches, mediums, warlocks, diviners, or other persons who tap into supernatural forces to gain knowledge and/or power.

Secondly, Jesus instructs Christians to love thier enemy as they love themselves. (I admit that most Christians fall FAR short on this one, myself included).

There were other points, but that's to be expected. The two theologies are diametrically opposed, so there isn't going to be much common ground.

[/QUOTE]Well, using negative magic isn't really too clever.... Remember the three-fold rede? Whatever you do is returned to you three-fold... You reap what you sow. So we Wiccans haven't "sold out", we just know what's clever [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Besides that the Satanists are fools for their "Seek revenge" idea... They're just making things worse and getting MORE evil to harm them... Violence begets violence, begets violence, begets violence... Really clever, begin a never-ending cycle that constantly involves you getting hurt.

Vengeance ain't a clever idea [img]tongue.gif[/img] "Turn the other cheek" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2002, 04:19 PM   #29
Cerek the Barbaric

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Seriously, though, excellent site, very balanced and informative, and a good discussion too. Cerek, it's awfully nice to discuss things with people of different faiths who are level-headed and avoid insults and name-calling. Far too many discussions of various faiths degenerate into rants and angry epithets.
Thank you for the kind words, Absynthe (and sauceman too).

I started debating theology with a good friend of mine who is a devout atheist about 1 1/2 years ago. He is very intelligent and an extemely good debater, which means he was VERY good at finding "holes" in the Christian theology.

At first, I used to get quite angry over some of his responses, but I eventually realized that his questions were forcing me to truly examine my faith. WHY did I believe what I did?

In the end, it strengthened my faith rather than weakened it, because I did find justification for (and a better understanding of) my beliefs.

However, one of the BEST lessons I learned was to RESPECT his view, even though I disagreed with it. This is an area I feel most Christians could improve in.

When we are faced with opposing theologies, doctrines, or practices, just screaming that the offender is going to burn in Hell is not only disrespectful, it's also counterproductive.

If I show no respect for their beliefs, why should they respect mine?

They won't. They will simply reject my viewpoint out-of-hand.

On the other hand, if I treat them with respect, they will usually return the favor...then we can have a PRODUCTIVE exchange of ideas and beliefs. Maybe I will plant a seed of curiousity that will prompt them to look at Christianity in a different light. Maybe not. But at least they may be more willing to listen to further arguments in the future.

I'm still trying to win souls for Jesus, I'm just not thumping non-beleivers in the head with a Bible to do it.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:59 PM   #30
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Quote:
re: Satanic Ritual Abuse. Anyone who even halfway believes in this has lost touch with reality, slipping over into full-blown paranoia. I place SRA in the same category as alien abductees (seriously, why would aliens take humans?
because it's fun to mess with a humans mind.especially the ignorant country hicks(pick your country)we choose most often.
did i say we?i meant they,yeah they do it.i'm not really an alien.just a slip that's all(damnit).