Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-10-2001, 08:34 PM   #1
decatur68
Welcomed New User

I just bought the game and brought it down to school here to install it. My problem is in the first scene just after some guy says "Ah, the son of Baal has awoken. Time for more experiments." The game then freezes, and once (I've gone through this several times)a strange whining sound came from the speakers. I have tried reinstalling to see if it was just a minor error in the installation, and in the configuring I checked the compadability of my computer and passed. I thought that maybe my computer did not meet the minimum requirements somehow (trust me, it meets the requirements). This computer is much better than my old one which ran Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale just fine. I also have Icewind Dale installed on my new computer and it works just fine. This made me think that maybe it isnt a compatibility problem. I did run the tutorial mode in Baldur's Gate II and it also worked fine. It is just that first scene that gives me problems. If anyone has any ideas on what is wrong or what I could do to try to fix this, please post. I'm not good with hardware stuff, so I havent fooled around with any video/graphics or sound stuff.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:46 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

What version of Windows are you running?
A friend of mine suggests that Windows ME has alot of problems with games...

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:48 PM   #3
Encard
Quintesson

This sounds like a problem a friend of mine had. I'm not sure what to tell you, except that I'll check with him and see what he says. The thing is, I'm fairly usre the way he fixed it was sending the save to someone else to play through past that one point... Although to him it happened a bit later in the game, so... hmm... You might want to have someone send you a save of theirs and see if that works, so that you know whether the problem is with the game as a whole or just in that one place. Btw, a bit off topic, what school is it? Would it happen to be Decatur Classical?

------------------
Lord of the RaBid Fruit Trees. ChAos rules all! Bwahahahaha...
:1drgat1:
Old 09-10-2001, 08:54 PM   #4
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Lestat may have hit the nail on the head there, but I hope for your sake that isn't the problem. Some other helpful info you could give us is:

1) What version of DirectX you are running.

and

2) What version of Baldur's Gate 2 it is.

Have you tried installing the latest patch and seeing if that helps? You can download the patch for BG2 here. You might also try turning 3D Acceleration on/off to see if that makes any difference.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-10-2001, 08:57 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Tobbin

posted 09-10-2001 08:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the configuration program and see if 3D graphics are turned on. It may say that the graphics are fine, but sometimes when you run the game, that will happen. If you turn it off that will normally clear it up. Also, if you have the 800x600 mode enabled, it can cause problems too. Both of these are usually caused by the graphic card that the computer has. There are a lot of variables. Memory could have something to do with it. Also, what other programs you have installed in your system. CrashGuard from Norton is notorious for locking up systems when running BioWare. If it's none of the above, not sure what to suggest except that if you can copy a savegame from another computer AFTER you have passed the cutscene, this will usually help you out. They have a lot of stuff going on during the cutscenes and they are the most likely to kill a system.
------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 09-11-2001, 03:17 PM   #6
decatur68
Welcomed New User

thanks for your help. I havent gotten it to work yet though. I tried switching to the 640x480 instead of the 800x600. I made sure 3d acceleration off and downloaded and installed the patch. My operating system is win 98, so it isnt the win ME problem. I am now installing the game on my roommates computer and trying what you suggested, to take a save game from beyond the cut scene. Thank you for your input.
Old 09-11-2001, 03:20 PM   #7
dulouz
Manshoon

for reference, i run winME and BG2 works just fine.