Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 07:27 AM   #1
Sigmar
Unicorn

--

Last edited by Sigmar; 08-27-2021 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:35 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

I want tosay to anyone who is leaving that you should think of all the friends you have made here and how they will feel, You will be missed and I can't believe you wouldn't miss this great place, Please reconsider...

------------------
Old 10-22-2001, 08:23 AM   #3
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Yeah, where did all those old-time members get to?

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 10-22-2001, 08:27 AM   #4
Rikard

Since when is cloudy leaving??
I only see people retuning...
Mel, Wolfgir, Demus, Sylent, Wah
or is that just me??

------------------

Old 10-22-2001, 08:32 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Whats going on in Ironworks? I'm gone for a couple of days and I find out some people are leaving, including Cloudbringer Slackerboy. I hope they return but my point is, why? What caused this to happen, was it the stress of the war, the change of atmosphere that has occured here or was it a minor or major argument. But it hasn't been all bad news though with old regular posters returning(Wah, Rudedawg) and new members. So Ironworks what's going on?

It's very upsetting to see valued people and close friends like Cloudy and slackerboy feel like they have to leave here (even for a while) because of upsetting opinions posted in the War on Terrorism forum. People DO have a right to post their opinion, though unfortunately some people take this to mean that they can disrespect or brush off other people's opinions in posting their own. People from ALL sides here have been upset by this. We don't have a rule against that, unfortunately, but I wish that people would show the same consideration for other people and their opinions here as they do in real life.

Also, I really wish people shouldn't take those threads so personally. We all have enough stresses in our lives right now to get stressed about something someone else said about your country, viewpoint or whatever. Just remember that people's opinions are just that - opinions! In many cases these are coloured by their own personal life and geographic experiences, which may be different to your own, so don't take it personally if they disagree with you. I have made myself IMMUNE to the many divergent opinions that people post here on the forum, because I have my own and am confident in my own thought processes. Nothing someone else says will get me down - I won't allow that to happen.

Remember, sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 08:33 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Yeah, I'm just confused.
Been away from the board for a few days and read 250's post saying Cloudy was leaving.

I'm getting a bit fed up with it all to tell you the truth.
People being hurtful too readily, and people being hurt too easily.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-22-2001, 08:54 AM   #7
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
It's very upsetting to see valued people and close friends like Cloudy and slackerboy feel like they have to leave here (even for a while) because of upsetting opinions posted in the War on Terrorism forum. People DO have a right to post their opinion, though unfortunately some people take this to mean that they can disrespect or brush off other people's opinions in posting their own. People from ALL sides here have been upset by this. We don't have a rule against that, unfortunately, but I wish that people would show the same consideration for other people and their opinions here as they do in real life.

Also, I really wish people shouldn't take those threads so personally. We all have enough stresses in our lives right now to get stressed about something someone else said about your country, viewpoint or whatever. Just remember that people's opinions are just that - opinions! In many cases these are coloured by their own personal life and geographic experiences, which may be different to your own, so don't take it personally if they disagree with you. I have made myself IMMUNE to the many divergent opinions that people post here on the forum, because I have my own and am confident in my own thought processes. Nothing someone else says will get me down - I won't allow that to happen.

Remember, sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you!

I totally agree with you Memnoch, what I don't understand though is that people getting upset, because they get ??flamed?? at the "War on terrorism forum", I mean, you can avoid posting there, that was the intention of the extra forum (right?? ), so the stress at GD would get down and that not everybody would be confronted with the latest discussions on war. If you're leaving because you don't agree or have an argument with someone at the war forum, well, I got to say, it's your own fault. Just avoid it. GD is the best place to be, so c'mon and join us here

------------------

Lady Menqel, Protector of IW's, smiter of evil

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
- Priest of Helm
- Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
- Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
- Magical advisor of MiLady Lioness
- Thanks to Sazerac for the great sig picture
Old 10-22-2001, 08:58 AM   #8
Epona
Zartan

Well said Mirac.
I just went and read the thread in question, and saw a lot of upset. But as I recall, the War forum was set up so that people who found it difficult to avoid threads that may upset them wouldn't even see the titles.

It's clear really. If you are going to get upset by those threads, don't go in the forum. Or learn not to take everything personally. It's only a discussion, after all.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-22-2001, 09:12 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Considering my well -non-exisisting Lurker status, I would say that I returned sooner because wen Ziroc moved the war threads from the GD area, well it was putting the stove outside the cabbin..

I also realised an old saying I have. (sometimes it pays to listen to wise words, trouble is to find them..)

"Don´t ever talk too much about politics with people you like.."
Easy eh? No. Nonethe less, sorry to see thoose people leave, I hope that they will return ater some time..
(Edit add..) Well forgot to tell that I find that if I can avoid the Politic threads I´m much better off actually. I respect your opinions, but sometimes the way to speak it could be well, more organized and thoughtful. Not directed to any one!! Just that while people have the right to say anything, means also that all people have the right to not listen to everything as well... Thats what I´m trying to by staying here in the games and GD area.. Wolves only wants to hunt wabbits anyway, and the only politiccal debate I will talk about now are issues concerning wolves! . (end Edit add)

Memnoch, just have to be a real grumpy wolf today.. none to scritch me behind the ears today! but words can hurt more to some than the biggest stick and stone mate!

Just know that when you break something, there all always people that will help you heal!

Back to lurking.. but you guys still make it difficult! Hehe hmm, active lurking??

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper

[This message has been edited by WOLFGIR (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 09:14 AM   #10
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

I don't want to play "devil's advocate" here but I do understand how easy it is to get your feelings hurt. I've seen many people really put alot of time and effort into their posts. We have different degrees of sensitivity. Therefore, I must disagree with some who say that words won't hurt. Its a totally subjective thing. We don't all have that "immunity" although it would be nice to have that ability to let it slide. I'll just speak for myself. When I enter into a discussion and share my opinion, I care about the responses I receive. I check that thread to see what other people think. If someone disagrees with me, then I understand that they have another view point but it matters very much how that subject is approached. The hot topics of religion, politics, war and lately, the tragedy are some very hot topics. I try to stay away from them because I know that I won't like some of the responses I see.

What am I trying to say? Well, I guess I'm trying to empathize with those who need to distance themselves from the forum for awhile. When they are in the proper frame of mind, they can come back and contriubute again. All in all, I believe that you get what you give.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]