Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Smiley

I made 6 "temporary" characters that I thought I could get to level 21 really fast with sub-par equipment.

bishop
bard
engeneer
fighter x 3

The reason for this is I wanted 3 staffs of doom, and you have to be level 21 + for them to spawn randomly.

The "real" party I wanted to play is this:

samarai x 2
lord
ranger x 3

I wanted to max intellegence and vitality first for all of them. It would be a pretty slow start. However I thought if I gathered all the super top-notch equipment with a temp party, It would be faster then if I started the real party from scratch.

The items I wanted were:

3 x staff of doom
3 x frontline phaser
6 x fey ring ( this will an all elf party )
5 x amulet of healing + 1 nebdar
6 x cloak of many colors
6 x snakeskin boots ( the ones with snake strike )
6 x infinity helm
6 x robes of rejuvenation
6 x gown of divinemail
1 x mantis gloves and 6 x mail gauntlets ( or whatever )

I plan to put the 2 samurai and 1 lord in the front and give them the SOD and the 3 rangers in the back with frontline phasers.

I dont like bows cause I hate constantly reloading / buying ammo, but I want some ranged damage. I dont like any melee weapon that isnt extended range cause I hate moving all the time. SOD is the best extended range weapon, frontline phasers are OK ranged weapons with 5% critical ( 11% with rangers maxed skill ) and they dont need ammo.

Well fast forward 2 days and I now have every item on my want list ( and yes all gotten legitly. Most took many reloads to get ):

1 staff of doom at mountain wilderness
+ 1 from killing / reloading the 2 rapax corpses ( yes this took a while )
+ 1 at rapax away camp ( reloaded the 2 chests, pretty fast cause I was a templar ).

1 frontline phaser from bayjin chest ( reloaded before going into bayjin )
+ 1 from janette ( reload when she died )
+ 1 from killing / reloading 7 bucanneer ghosts

6 fey rings from killing / reloading lots of wind faerie packs at mountain wilderness ( actually didnt take that long )

5 gowns of divinemail from killing / reloading rapax preistesses ( took a while also )
+ 1 from killing / reloading al-sedexus

The rest of the crap is bought from vendors

I also got hella lucky since I found a ring of regeneration in davy jones locker [img]smile.gif[/img]

So now that I am armed to the teeth I guess its time to scrap the temp party and make the real one [img]smile.gif[/img]

All in all I say it worked pretty well except 2 spellcasters would have been better.

Oh, yes and pickpocketing is soooooo damn worthless. By the time I got it to 86 with 2 filchers bands I have way better items then can be pickpocketed anyway. It really would have been nice to get that one polearm off of antone before I had 3 staffs of doom.

[ 05-06-2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: TinyMage ]
TinyMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
SpitBall
The Magister

Why do you need such powerful stuff?
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Not much game left to play with your second party, though, eh.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Actually yes, because I am going to try to get to level 50.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Why not start your first party as what your second will be, and not waste the 21 levels you already got????
Old 05-07-2005, 02:31 AM   #6
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

I think I explained that if you bothered to read my post.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

yes, you did, and i did read it, (again even, just to make the quotes in here) but it doesn't make any sense. One, "getting to level 21 really fast" is wasted when you're gonna dump them and start all over at L1, unless you really like running around chasing respawns.
Two, "with all the top-notch equipment...faster than if...started from scratch." not really; you still have to kill a bunch of mobs--and to do that, you need the weapons/combat skills to hit them, even with nice weapons. Though it may be much less challenge, you still have to earn the XP to go up the levels to raise your attributes.
And the new characters certainly didn't get their stuff "legitly".
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
TinyMage
Dungeon Master

Ok, how did my new characters not get their stuff legitly??

And about the experience? I can get to around level 15 pretty easy by doing quests. Actually I just did quest 3 ( I think ) for the trang and got from level 1 to level 8. And all the other high experience quests are still unfinished.

It doesnt take as long as you think to get to level 21. In AP its actually pretty quick. But getting from level 1 to 21 with poor equipment with my type of party is hella hard, believe me, I've done it before. You do no damage and you always run out of spellpoints too fast.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
SpitBall
The Magister

I must have missed something. While I don't understand why TinyMage is doing what he is doing, what the Hell - its his game, he can play it any way he wants to.

But, Scatter, is he really "dumping" the first party? I assumed he was gonna keep the same characters and change classes - or is he really talking about replacing each one with lvl 1 characters? If its that latter, I agree - it seems like taking a giant step backwards. No matter how quickly he can take the "new" party to lvl 21, he could have spent that time (and XP) getting to higher levels.

So, fill me in, TinyMage - did you replace the entire party, one by one, with lvl 1 characters, or change classes to make your "real" party?
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
bladedog
Dungeon Master

Now spitball that is clever, I never considered for a second that he might replace them all with level 1 characters handing over the equipment as he goes.
I had automatically assumed they were going to be changed classes.
I'd love to know the answer to your question, might have to go grab a save file from my 20+ level AP party and replace them one by one.
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote