Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-12-2001, 12:12 PM   #1
VWBoy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Im a new player for the PC BG2, and im really liking it. But i have 2 small things. Firstly for mages/sorc why can i cast spells in the first chapter? Is the a dungeon thing or something, or do they need to get materials to cast? This may sound stupid, but i got up in chapters with a paladin, then wanted to try a mage, but he cant cast, the spells are like tinted over i guess. Secondly, what class would someone recomend as being fun to play with for the game? I wanted a straight theif (as a old ad&d player i always loved the swashbuckler) but found thief lacking since you couldnt do things you could in a non-pc game. So in people opinion whats a good class to use, and maybe some pros and cons?

Thanks
Arron
Old 09-12-2001, 12:41 PM   #2
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

At the beginning of the game, you have to rest first and then you'll see that you're able to cast spells.

Playing with Paladin, Fighter, Bard is enjoying in my opinion.

------------------
"A silent blade does not cut always best..
A tender touch from the heart may heal the wounds of my friends..
Or a song from the heart..
A duet with nymphs..
Forget 'bout nymphs, let's play KISS!!"

-Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears my wingless bird.."

From Heart
To Aerie
Old 09-12-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
VWBoy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I tried that a few times, the cleric gets all her spells back. But the mage does not. Is there any requirements to regain them, or am i missing something here

Thanks
Arron
Old 09-12-2001, 12:52 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Yes, if you have a mage class, rest at the first opportunity, but make sure you have spells in all the available slots in you mage spell book. Only the ones 'memorised' will be available for use, so be careful in your choice.

Any class is good; but I generally make a point of creating a human fighter and then dual classing to the class I want (make sure your human character CAN dual to the class you want first! (Check out the available multi-classes in the manual).
In creating your fighter, bear in mind the attributes your dual class will need, such as 18 wisdom for a Cleric, or intellect for a mage, and only give weapon skills your dual character can use. This way you can get fighter level skills with hammer or mace or staff or sling, etc, that is not available to the straight Mage or Cleric, or whatever - besides fighter health points!
I dual as soon as the opening set scenes are finished and Imoen has done talking. That way, you should equal your fighter level by the time you exit the first dungeon, surpass it soon after, and have your fighter skills available again.
Good luck!

------------------

Old 09-12-2001, 12:54 PM   #5
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Just in case, did you go to your spell book and select your spells before resting.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:59 PM   #6
VWBoy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yes i did, i took all offensive one, lightning fireball magic missle etc. I notice Iomen (im pretty sure thats her name) the mage theif cant cast either, i put her to mage agressive for ai and was waiting for her to cast but she didnt. Is this a first chapter thing? thats where im trying out different classes for the game. Both the mages have spells memorized and the cleric as well, who can cast.

I think im missing a peice of the picture how to play? Or is it a dungeon thing?

Thanks
Arron
Old 09-12-2001, 03:22 PM   #7
Lorala
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, VW, Just out of curiosity, is your mage/theif wearing armor? Multi-classed mages can't cast their spells if they are.
Old 09-12-2001, 03:35 PM   #8
oldbittercraig
Elminster

that's gotta be it...
Old 09-12-2001, 09:03 PM   #9
VWBoy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmmmm never even thought of that, ill give it a try now and see how it works.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2001, 09:38 PM   #10
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorala:
Hey, VW, Just out of curiosity, is your mage/theif wearing armor? Multi-classed mages can't cast their spells if they are.

HI! WELCOME, Lorala!

and a belated

WELCOME to VWBoy

, as well!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-12-2001).]