Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-05-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I found this while researching some wedding customs on the net and found these articles- I knew it was a big business in Russia (got several sham proposals while I was there both times) and I knew it was a problem here in the US, but I didn't realize it was quite so prevalent or apparently so lucrative in many places!

Woman Faces Jail over 27 Sham Marriages

UK to Crack down on Sham Marriages
Old 05-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
That first one was a terribly written article - it was only at the end that I figured out how she was actually making money out of these marriages!

I imagine it is a similar problem in Australia - there's a whole lot of people who want to migrate here and this seems a good a way as any to do it if you can't get in legally. Surely she realised that if she didn't want to get caught she should be a little less blatant about it! Criminals are often fairly stupid though .

I thought the thread might have been about the weird new trend for couples getting married to have it paid for through advertising - get your meals and flowers and everything sponsered in exchange for adspace at the wedding and reception. Classy! I imagine that's the way you and Nacht are going with it, Cloudy?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Well, the only reason I'd ever get married in this country is to get a green card - and I will if I have to. I don't ever wanna wife but I do wanna stay in the States. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Son of Osiris

A wise man, my uncle Bim, once said:

Young Whackmiester, when it comes to marriage,
RUN!!! RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!

Old 05-05-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Aelia, I agree about the article. I've seen better written things, but the idea of 27 sham marriages shocked me. I mean I've heard of people doing it for the money (knew some in Russia) but I'd never heard of anyone doing it more than once! That women had nerve, if not brains!

I've heard of people doing that- sponsored weddings where they get someone to pay for their reception, flowers etc and they advertise the vendors at the reception...uh..not my thing, but I suppose if you don't mind ads on your napkins, and can't afford things you'd like any other way it's one alternative. But I admit, I'd sure like it if I hadn't had to pay out quite so much of my paychecks over the last few months!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I don't ever wanna wife but I do wanna stay in the States. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sure you do, just get one o' them old-style marriage situations where you get as many wives as you want. Think of it, you could assign one woman to each household task. One for cooking, one for cleaning, one for shopping etc. All barefoot, and preggers. And then of course, you could put them on rotation for various 'nightly jobs' Now, you just try and tell me that doesn't sound good man
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Whackmiester:
A wise man, my uncle Bim, once said:

Young Whackmiester, when it comes to marriage,
RUN!!! RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!
[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] Aww, c'mon Whacky, you could be rich if you pick up tips from Mrs. 27 Sham Marriages in the first article...just don't get caught!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Oh My God!!! Dezerrie? How could you?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

HEHE...time for that annullment, Donut?