Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Crying 3000 miners trapped underground

BREAKING NEWS

More than 3,000 workers are trapped deep underground in a South African gold mine after an accident blocked a deep shaft, officials have said.

The 2.2km (1.4mile) shaft was blocked near the bottom, trapping the workers. The Elandsrand mine is in the Witwatersrand Basin, which holds the world's largest gold deposit. The mines there are among the deepest in the world.

South Africa's mines have a poor safety record, said a spokesman for the country's National Union of Mineworkers.

This sort of accident gives me nightmares, lets offer our thoughts, wishes and prayers to these men.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Re: 3000 miners trapped underground

OMG! That many? I had no idea that many people are in gold mines. How terrible! I hope they can get them out. They definitely have my thoughts and prayers.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Those mines give me the creeps, how often do you hear about incidents like this? There was a cave in in Russia not too long ago, another in China recently, and now this. I wouldn't go down there if it was the last job on earth, i prefer going up.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Looks like there is big hope.

BBC news
"the bottom of the shaft where the miners are trapped is well ventilated.
She said rescuers were in contact with the miners, and planned to begin lifting them very soon.
However, only 75 miners could be lifted out at a time through the adjacent ventilation shaft, she added. "

Does not sound as though lives are in danger, but strewth who would work underground. You could not pay me enough to work in a mine.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

...Well.

Mine accidents actually occur about twice a year in the United States, at least over the past few years...

It's a dying profession, thanks largely to the amount of specialized equipment and techniques that vastly increase a person's individual productivity.

My old roommate was major in Mining Engineering at the University of Kentucky, one of the few places that still offers such a program, and he's been underground many, many times. The odds of this occuring are very low, and many, many safety precautions are taken.

The most unfortunate thing is how many of the raw materials we use on an everyday basis absolutely depend upon mining. Look around your room. You'll probably be hard pressed to find any item completely free of any sort of mined-materials.

What I see here is that South African safety standards are not up to snuff, and neither are their mining techniques.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yep Ilander, wasn't but a month or so ago we all heard about the collapsed mine in Ohio. Some say it was an earthquake that caused it. WAs really sad, cause I thought they were going to be able to get the miners out. Then time went by, then another small earthquake happened...after so many weeks, and without anyone being able to actually pinpoint where the miners might be located, I figured none could survive. Not sure how that robot search went. But it's October now so I'm quite sure I didn't miss anything, nobody survived. I would still like for them to continue their search though for at least the bodies, for their families. I heard there were talks about continuing the mining on that same place, but the other side. Gawd, how can they do that knowing there are dead bodies of their own still unfound. Is the dollar that big and important?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3204614.shtml

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, my thoughts are with them, but it's not going to stop me from going underground. Apparently i can kiss goodbye any goals of working underwater (fussy bunch they are) so the next best pay packet in my field comes with underground. But first i have to a) get my foot in the door and b) get my ferkin driver's license back!
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
Trogdor
Manshoon

You have no need to worry Sever, Australia is well known as one of, if not the safest country for mining. It's just unfortunate the way some companies choose to cut safety corners in order to ramp up profits
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote