Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Has anyone out there ever experienced something like this? I love my job. I have a decent boss. I love what I do. However, the person that sits next to me is evil. Just not a nice person. Its gotten to the point where its uncomfortable to be in the same vicinity as this person. Its not a work related thing unfortunately otherwise I'd go to my boss. We just have VERY different views on things and this person gets PO'd if you don't conform to their way of thinking. Its just gotten very old and I'm sick of dealing with it. Actively looking for another job right now and it sucks because I do like what I do for a living.
Anyhoo, thanks for letting me complain.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I had that problem once before years ago with a person who I had to work closely with. She was constantly angry at something, and I ended up getting the brunt of that anger simply because I was there I guess. Eventually I just tried to ignore her, just came into work, did my job, and stopped socializing with her. But that didn't do anything but make it worse, then she complained how I had an "attitude" Eventually I found another job and just left, just in time too, she was getting worse and was starting to scream curses, including the "F" word, in front of the big bosses, including the President of the company!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-11-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Jeez, I'm glad its not just me that's dealing or had to deal with this. Its making me miserable. Hopefully, I get the job I just applied for. At this rate I'm almost willing to take a pay cut just to get out of here!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Well, maybe you could tell your boss the reason you're leaving is because of personal problems with this person. Maybe you'll get moved apart or something. Sorry, I don't know much about the working lifestyle of work, being young and all, so forgive me for thinking simply.

Hope your problems get sorted, and if necessary, you'll enjoy your current job!
Old 11-11-2003, 02:14 PM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Since you are going to leave anyway (worst case scenario), why don't you take it up to your boss and explain the situation. If you boss appreciates you enough, he (or she) might fire the other guy and let you stay.

If not, you might as well get another job instead since you can't cope with your present co-worker.

Also, it might helps to shed some light on the meaning of "evil" in your original post. I mean, how evil is he? What kind of evil things he did?

Just my 2 cents. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-11-2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 11-11-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Can't you just ignore the person ? I've met several unpleasant people on the job as well, and had to work with some of them for months in a row. I just never give em any attention, and completely ignore them at times. I would defenitely not quit a job that i like for a minor problem like that.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:20 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You work with 'em... doesn't mean you have to associate with 'em. Tell the boss you enjoy working at the company, but you don't like working near the other person. Ask what can be done to separate you (or whatever) so that you can continue doing the work you enjoy.

If you're valued and valuable, there will be a way to make it work. If not, then it was time to move on anyway, wasn't it?

Hmmmm... and after reading this, if I were the boss, I would want to know that you had tried working it out before talking to me. Have you tried asking the person to leave you alone, or to keep their comments, etc., related to work and nothing more? If they refuse to work with reasonable requests, then I would be happy to work through something else.

Good luck.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Hey thank guys! I think that Bungleau has the right idea for me. Just ignore the jerk. I did tell this person not to talk to me or about me and so far not a peep. Who knows or cares what she's saying to others. Can you believe this is all over my dog??!! She doesn't agree with crate training, thinks its too confining for a dog to sleep in and all. But that's her opinion! I don't shove my opinions down her throat!
Anyway, hopefully the atmosphere will get better 'cause it can't get much worse right? Man does it suck to spend 40 hours a week next to someone you largely dislike. That's more time than I spend with my husband!!!

[ 11-11-2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: NewbietoRPGs ]
Old 11-11-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Can't you just ignore the person ? I've met several unpleasant people on the job as well, and had to work with some of them for months in a row. I just never give em any attention, and completely ignore them at times. I would defenitely not quit a job that i like for a minor problem like that.
That usually does work Johnny, but not all the time. Like in my instance I posted about above. This girl was the main worker when it came to getting out documents, a new program was bought, and she was trained to learn it. So no doubt she was overworked, as everything in many ways depended on her. I offered to learn the program, so I could help her, but none of the bosses offered to train me as they did her, so I think she was resentful that I didn't have to work as much as she did. But thing is, I also didn't make NEAR as much as she did either, so.. Either way, when she started getting shitty to me, again I just decided to ignore her and just go about my job, but I guess since we had socialized before, and me stopping that, she got Pissed at THAT lol, and again started to say I had gotten an "attitude" like I was being snobby and ignoring her or something. I just didn't know what to do, I tried to offer help, and she completely ignored that fact. Sigh.

Well back then I had two bosses, a high Executive and the Vice President who worked there. So, one day, I get called into the office of the Executive, and he told me I was doing a great job, heck I mainly worked for him anyways, only worked for the VP now and then, the COWORKER did most of the VP's work. So I'm feeling all happy and stuff, feeling I've been recognized doing a good job and all. Then, about 4 hours later, late in the afternoon, the VP calls me into HIS office. I'm thinking "wha? well maybe more praise LOL! cool!" Nope. He starts telling me how I've been "making mistakes" and I need to get my act together, etc. etc. Well I'm totally confused, cause I could not think what I had done wrong or a mistake made. So I asked him what I messed up on, and he COULD NOT TELL ME. He kinda sputtered about every time I asked him what I went wrong doing, and finally just said "you need to just straighten up" and dismissed me. So basically I figured that the COWORKER had talked to him and griped, and expected him to chastise me, was a jab she could get away with I guess, and I saw her in the VPs office bout 30 minutes before he called me in, and since she was the only one who knew this particular program that was so vital, he did what she wished to placate her I'm reckoning.

So basically after that day I knew it was time for me to go and look for another job LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 AM   #10
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

If someone did that to me i would get revenge. I mean if i'm leaving anyway may as well get them back before i leave. Although people that cruel seem pretty good at getting their own back, but still i would do something if the problem was that severe, even if it was just to pleed your case to the boss, i mean although she was indespensible because of her training the boss could still have done something. Personally in any of these cases i would not have given the co-worker the satisfaction of having me leave although i do entirely understand what you mean.