Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 10:35 AM   #121
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lanthir:
quote:
Originally posted by Ar-Cunin:
We're ready for the quarter-finals

Germany - USA
England - Brazil
Spain - South Koraa
Senegal - Turkey

The teams that have been mentioned first are my favourites for the respective games - feel free to comment [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well I would reverse the firt one to USA beats Germany
and the second one to Sk over Spain
[/QUOTE]i'm not going to argue with you again, you seem to be right all the time.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:35 AM   #122
Donut
Jack Burton

Brings back memories of 1966. North Korea 1 Italy 0. The Italian players returned to get pelted with rotten tomatoes at Genoa airport.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-18-2002, 11:25 AM   #123
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Brings back memories of 1966. North Korea 1 Italy 0. The Italian players returned to get pelted with rotten tomatoes at Genoa airport.
Speaking of which, the bleating has started [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] , earlier than expected.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:02 PM   #124
norompanlasolas

ok, i am going to post just once more in the world cup thread. first off, to clear things. argentina was eliminated fair and square and we have NOTHING to complain. our rivals played better than us and we didnt deserve to qualify.

that said, its obvious that this world cup is one of the most corrupt and tainted ones in history. sepp blatter's war with the heads of some federations (like italy) and the need of the organisation that some countries qualify no matter what (brasil, south corea) has made for some of the worst referis decisions ive seen (and i have seen A LOT of football).

just 2 minor examples:
italy: 2 goals disqualified against croacia (both legal), 2 goals disqualified against mejico (both legal), 1 goal disqualified against corea (legal), 1 dubious penalty and 1 send off that was unjust (wasnt a penalty, but also wasnt a dive... it was similar to owens in argentina, and many more). so that you know, matarrese (head of the italian federation) was one of the strongest foes of sepp blatter, and italy obviously paid dearly for it.

brasil: the turkey game... need i say more? ok, the belgium game... i rest my case.

i really lost interest in watching the games (ive always kept watching, even after argentina was out in other world cups), cause i believe this is a farse. too bad for countries that have played good football and won in a honest way (like england, or senegal) but i feel this world cup will be remembered as the world cup of deceptions and of corruption. one of the worst in history.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 PM   #125
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Germany - USA---> Gemany
England - Brazil---> Brazil (sorry Donut [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Spain - South Koraa---> South Korea
Senegal - Turkey---> Senegal

Brazil wins in the end - like I was saying..
Old 06-18-2002, 01:01 PM   #126
Donut
Jack Burton

Conspiracy and corruption in South Korea?

Why does the name Roy Jones keep going round in my head?

I haven't seen the game so I can't comment about the decisions but it could just be that referees and linesmen all over the world are crap.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #127
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:

i really lost interest in watching the games (ive always kept watching, even after argentina was out in other world cups), cause i believe this is a farse. too bad for countries that have played good football and won in a honest way (like england, or senegal) but i feel this world cup will be remembered as the world cup of deceptions and of corruption. one of the worst in history.
I think that perspective depends on where your team ended up, norompanlasolas. As they say, winners are grinners, and losers can please themselves. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Vamos ESPANA!!! We're still in it, so we won't complain about the referee - yet.

Old 06-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #128
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quotation from today's Dallas Morning News"It's the worst thing that could have happened to our fair game." - Comment on USA 2, Mexico 0.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:25 PM   #129
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
To come back to our game yesterday. Today on the news, they read the headlines of some major Belgian and international papers and a conspiracy theory came up more then once. The thought was that with France and Argentina already elliminated, that Brasil just HAD to qualify for the so called 'good of the tournament'. Because if they should have fallen, no real favourite would be left. Now we all know Seppy boy is corrupt as hell but would he go this far ? Thoughts anyone.
i don't believe that JR, apart from the disallowed goal, i haven't seen any strange things during the match. No, i think Belgium knocked themselves out, if your the better team the entire game, get a lot of chances, but still don't manage to score a goal you can only blame yourself for not qualifying. Why didn't Waseige put Sonck in from the start ?[/QUOTE]Actually, it was a Dutch newspaper that wrote this. Is it treu ? I don't know. I certainly hope it isn't but the corruption was already underway before the world cup started. I'm not saying that the teams have been corrupt but maybe behind the scenes the officials may have gotten some bread. Happened a lot in soccer before.
Why didn't Waseige put Sonck in from the start ? Hmm, you'd better ask him that but maybe he thought that Verheyen had a better chance against their defenders. Maybe not to score but to hold the ball untill someone from the midfield like Wilmots or Mpenza could get into the box. Tactics are always debatable and btw we did score a legal goal but that was disallowed remember. The thing is that scoring a goal is not so easy and a goal in your favor changes the complexety of the match. And their goalie did play a very good match too.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:58 PM   #130
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well the way to solve problems like the Italian ones, is to have a television referee who can reverse an on field decision. As it stands the ref is King, and FIFA will not overturn a bad decision.

The Italian coach banged the glass in front of the official WHO HAD JUST SEEN ON THE MONITOR THAT THE PENALTY WAS INCORRECT, yet shrugged his shoulders somewhat uncaringly.

http://www.hughwilson.com