Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
I remember someone saying that you could use a different set of graphics for the map the player sees with the area view. Is this correct? So, for example instead of the white or grey line on a black background I could have say a brown parchment for the map and my own graphics for walls and such???

Thanx in advance for any answer to this.
SilentThief
Old 06-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Yes I think this is possible. I downloaded TwilightKing's "Sunless Citadel" in which the top down map looked like you were walking on a map (colours and paths). However, I'm a DCNoob, so I don't know [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Try asking TwilightKing (or Manikus/Spud/Z)
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

you can change the zone art from within the game, and the rest is in the AreaViewArt.pcx file. there is some plan to make this all changeable from the editor at some later point.

-manikus
Old 06-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Yes I think this is possible. I downloaded TwilightKing's "Sunless Citadel" in which the top down map looked like you were walking on a map (colours and paths). However, I'm a DCNoob, so I don't know [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Try asking TwilightKing (or Manikus/Spud/Z)
When I set the level for that, I set it as overland, in which you basically choose a picture, place some blocked areas, and it becomes your map.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

i should have been more explicit in my reply, sorry about that. you go to the zone feature and choose the art in there. i've found this is only effective if you have more than one zone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-manikus
Old 06-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
Steve McDonald
The Magister

To answer your question about making the area view look like a map (I have thought of this idea too and I think it could be quite effective), this is what I would suggest.

Create a copy of AreaViewZoneArt.pcx (doesn't have to be a .pcx though). Note that this is a different file than AreaViewArt.pcx. Change all of the black squares to a parchment color or pattern. Keep in mind that these squares will be tiled during the game so you need to test a bit to make sure the pattern looks okay when it's tiled.

Second step is to make eight of the zones (I would use zones 9-16) to look like the left, right, top, bottom, top-left-corner, top-right-corner, bottom-left-corner, bottom-right-corner of a parchment. Remember of course that the top, bottom, left and right ones will be "tiled" too. More testing may be needed.

Place zones 9-16 (or whatever numbers you used) around the edges of the dungeon map. That is the backgrounds complete.

To change the walls, create a copy of AreaViewArt (not AreaViewZoneArt). Change the white wall to a colour. I would use dark brown I think. I would recommend not using too much variation in this because the way the walls are put together on the area map is quite complex (not as simple as just placing the wall) and using different colours can produce funny-looking results.

For each wall set, click the "Custom Area View Art" button in the "Select Wall Slot" screen. Import the new file.

The result should be an area view map which looks like an old map drawn on a parchment. The only problem is that you now have only 8 zones to work with. (same as FRUA, so we're no worse off, anyway!)

I have made some suggestions elsewhere, to Richard, about further changes to enable easier and more complete customisability to the area map. Unless and until those come through, there is no easy way to make doors which look like anything other than a gap in a wall.

I will have a go at making up a "map" background set which I can upload to the members file area on the yahoo group board. It should be up within a couple of days, I would expect.

Steve
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
"I will have a go at making up a "map" background set which I can upload to the members file area on the yahoo group board. It should be up within a couple of days, I would expect."

Steve, you had the same idea as me, having a parchment-like map that the map was drawn on. As for the rest of the details (like doors and such), the idea isn't a priority to me, but the ideas and solutions that all of you said I will play around with. As for the "map" background set, all I can say about that is "hecks yeah!"

and thanks again for the answers
SilentThief