Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

This is one of those things I've always wondered about, but keep forgetting to ask. As it happened ten minutes ago, it's fresh in my mind ...

Why do characters occasionally get stuck in nothing? For example, my current solo Ratling Rogue, in Skull Castle, just got stuck in the floor while walking down the middle of a hallway. A wide hallway. With a high ceiling.

Various machinations were all futile. Vanish is what one usually resorts to, but it's not really an option with a solo Rogue ...

Any great ideas from this perpetual font of knowledge?

*edit* atrocious spelling [img]graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

[ 11-17-2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: aleph_null1 ]
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #2
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Hum at that point I ususally just reload a saved game.... I really don't know why that happens every so often... it is probably just another bug in the system... an annoying bug... maybe it's the map layers overlapping on themselves?
Old 11-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Not sure what causes this but expect that it's a glitch in the map somewhere. If Vanish isn't possible, have you tried Teleport or Call of Home??

Twisting/running/jumping no good??

Reloading may be the easiest solution.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

As I suggested in my story this is probably just one of Cet's tricks. After all he is not much of a challenge when one finally encounters him, so he has to resort to bugs to make one tired of the game before the final battle.

I have also encountered the problem, but I have always been able to wriggle out of it. Actually it always happens with one of the trolleys in the Stout Mine. The party is dragged through the floor on one of the steep inclines, but the trolley drags the character through the glitch every time.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
jsalsb
Elminster

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I've been "stuck in nothing" several times, and simply switching characters gets me moving again. Granted I don't know what I'd do in a solo game! Wait for the mod, recruit an npc and then switch to him?

It seems to be a random glitch, so going back to your most recent save shoud fix it without it recurring.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've had it happen on occasion, too. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to identify any kind of trigger event or action that makes it likely to happen

Although... a random thought just struck me that it may be less of an issue at lower resolutions.

All I can offer is Mama Hissy's advice... save early, save often. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
All I can offer is Mama Hissy's advice... save early, save often. [img]smile.gif[/img]
The solution to all bugs, right? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

No worries, I as always follow the Hissy's advice in every game I play. Learned that in Doom '93, when rockets would frag you out of nowhere

I was just curious ... this was one of those times when jumping / turning / twisting / &tc. just didn't work, switching characters wan't an option, and magic wasn't an option.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yep... that happens every so often in many games. Get into just the right spot, and you're stuck for life

Kind of like the western shores of the enchanted sea, near Talrik, eh? Take your boat there and leave it
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Yea.... once that happens you might as well just give up and reload a game or use the feature in the inn that brings all characters back... forgot what it's called...
Old 11-18-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

In my game, making a step back almost always helps. Note that you must make a step back, turning around and trying to go forward in some direction does not work.
Therefore, try pressing "backwards" and once you start moving, you can continue your way forward.