Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-30-2001, 01:15 PM   #1
Ogotaii
Welcomed New User

first, this is a great website, it have everything! nice work!
My question:
I want to start an evil party with only the evil caracters in my party.
Which caracter should I need to create to have a "complete" band.
I though of a magic user, but I don't know which is better: mage or sorcerer?

Thanks for answering
Old 04-30-2001, 01:23 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hello Ogotaii and welcome!!
I'm glad that you found this Forum and that you like it. We are all very happy with it and I think it's the best of its kind but anyway...I digress

Would you like to start a party with only selfcreated characters or are you going to take on NPCs in the game? It makes a difference with regard to your question, as there is a very good evil mage in the game.
But now to your real question, mage or sorceror...
I think everybody has a different opinion on this and there is no definitive answer. However, I will try and give you the basic pros and cons.

A mage is useful if you don't really know all the spells yet, as they can learn from scrolls (with the added bonus of getting experience from it) and if your intelligence is high enough, this means you can have an enormous stock of spells in your spell book.
If you know which spells you find usefull and which ones you don't, then a sorceror is a good choice. You can only have a limited amount of spells in your book, but if you choose them well, you'll have a great character, who'll be able to cast lots of good high level spells.
I played a sorceror once and I liked it that at a certain stage, I could cast 5 Chain Lightnings in a row .
Maybe you should try them out both for a while and decide which you like best.
Good luck!

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 04-30-2001, 01:24 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Sorcerers are very powerfull at low levels though mages are better in the long run.
Old 04-30-2001, 01:35 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogotaii:
first, this is a great website, it have everything! nice work!
My question:
I want to start an evil party with only the evil caracters in my party.
Which caracter should I need to create to have a "complete" band.
I though of a magic user, but I don't know which is better: mage or sorcerer?

Thanks for answering
Hi Ogotaii and welcome aboard!

To go to the root of your question...if you are going to play an evil PC and all evil (or evil tolerant) NPCs, you might not want to play a mage. That is if your main goal is to balance your party. I say this because Edwin is an evil mage, Jan (although he's not really evil) is a good back-up spellcaster, and Haer'dalis (although he's not really evil either) is also a good back-up spellcaster. Then you've also got Viconia as your evil Cleric. However...you'll be short on tanks. I would strongly suggest that you choose a fighter of some type to start (Barbarian, Berserker, Kensai, etc.). You may even want to dual them to something else later (I'm running an evil berserker now that I'm going to dual to Thief soon. Doing this will allow you to have two tanks in your party (Korgan and you) to engage the enemy while your spell casters hail them with missile weapons and spells.

If you are deadset on a spellcaster, however, I would suggest that you outfit Viconia with items to raise her strength and turn her into a tank... That's my take on things anyway. Hope that helps!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 04-30-2001, 01:49 PM   #5
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
i like wizzards over sorcerers..
Old 04-30-2001, 02:22 PM   #6
ShadowUK

I'd go for a wizard anyday........

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 02:24 PM   #7
Ogotaii
Welcomed New User

Thanks Throntar and Melusine, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.
As I said, I wanted to have a balance band, so I now think I will take a fighter, maybe barbarian, and maybe dual my fighter to a mage, if I'll find it will be useful.

P.s.:just a test, does anyone know who Ogotai was?

Sorry for my english
Old 04-30-2001, 03:00 PM   #8
Gimlee
Elminster

Hey welcome to the board fellow Quebequer. Don't worry about your english, I speak french too. The board will help you to speak english. I hope that everyone understands that it,s not everyone who has english as their native language.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:28 PM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogotaii:
Thanks Throntar and Melusine, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.
As I said, I wanted to have a balance band, so I now think I will take a fighter, maybe barbarian, and maybe dual my fighter to a mage, if I'll find it will be useful.

P.s.:just a test, does anyone know who Ogotai was?

Sorry for my english
Nope, no idea, so enlighten us...who was Ogotai?
Oh, and like Gimlee said, don't worry about your language, because 1. I'm not nativespeaking either, as are many others here 2. I can understand you perfectly well and your English is just fine 3. I have seen a lot worse than this
So don't worry, and glad we could help out with the Sorceror/Mage thing. If you need any more info, just post here again.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia