Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-26-2001, 09:32 PM   #31
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

Ahh...the Berserker cleric....one of the easiest games I played. He was the first one I took through SoA AND ToB. Sooo powerful, though the most used spell was Draw Upon Holy Might =) and I didn't even use that spell either very much when I got Crom Faeyr. Anyway. It was fun with Grandmastery in Hammers and Flails, playing with the Flail of Power (ages) and Crom with 3 slots in dual wield. =)=)=)

But a character I found more fun to play was an evil multiclassed Cleric/Mage (HADDAR!!). This was the first one I took through SoA solo, so even though he was/is multiclassed I reached high levels (XP cap removed. This was before I had ToB). He was weak in the beginning and required constant rest (this WAS solo, you know =)). But as he leveled up, he just became to powerful for most enemies. With ALOT of spells, you can make yourself virtually immune and still have many spells left to get rid of all the enemies. It was fun to play around with him. Sometimes I tortured a guy like the drow do with the Dao in Ust Natha, hehe (he WAS evil). Doom, Greater Malison, Hold Monster, Magic Missile, Lightning Bolt, Heal, Hold Monster...repeat and repeat. =)

One last thing: The staff of the Magi really made those "hard" battles really simple. I'm thinking of the last fight with Irenicus, Bodhi etc. etc.

Unfortunately I didn't get any High level Abilities since this was before ToB.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:10 PM   #32
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
Nerull - are you saying that w/ a Ranger Cleric you can choose druid spells all the way up to 7th level? (If so that would be AWESOME!) Something I'll check out tonight. BTW do you also get the ability to backstab, if you do there is the oddity that staffs are a wepon that can backstab that would be acceptable for this class combo.
Yes, they get druid spells all the way through! That's why he makes Jaheira obsolete. If you choose the stalker kit (not recommended due to the limitation on armor), you can backstab. Archers are especially bad (only good with slings, can't specialize in melee weapons, non-metal armor only). Beastmaster is restricted to non-metal weapons (meaning you can't use the best clerical weapons). I would go with just a regular ranger (can strap on any armor you want if you don't mind lack of stealth, can use any clerical weapon).

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-29-2001, 09:06 PM   #33
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Just finished going through multiple char. generations again.....

The Ranger MUST be a pure class (NO kits) to be able to dual. This is somewhat of a bummer but not as bad as it sounds because while your a ranger you can go into Shadow Keeper and set the kit to Priest of Lathandar so that when you dual to a cleric you will have the Lathandar kit goodies.

After playing w/ the char. a bit the (despite not being able to become immune to imprisonment) this is a MUCH better choice than a Berzerker/Cleric.

The negatives:
your missing out on many of the immunities that a berzerker has (paticularly imprisonment)
your missing out on Master+ wepons prof.s

The positives:
Awesome spells: entangle, call woodland being, ironskin, insect plauge
extra prof.s for 2 handed wepon (though if you have TOB their is a staff in the Keep that will make you think twice about using 2 wepons - though still the Crom + Flail Age is better)
with the boon of lathandar you get an extra attack per round (this means that you can get up to 5 attacks dual wielding w/ the right equip. & 4 attacks w/ a staff)
Old 08-29-2001, 09:23 PM   #34
Kitty
Manshoon

Really? I thought clerics could dual to rangers, but not the other way around.
Anyway, I'll check this.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:15 PM   #35
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitty:
Really? I thought clerics could dual to rangers, but not the other way around.
Anyway, I'll check this.
It can go either way.

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-30-2001, 01:44 AM   #36
Baron Nocturna
Dungeon Master

A somewhat cheesy character IMO is a fighter with grandmastery in long bow dualed to a mage. Its cheesy because you can fling arrows FAR better than that lame Archer class AND cast Bad arse spells. Easily the best mage in the game when you consider that Edwin is useless without his spells.

I think the Monk is WAY too powerful at high levels. Give him the item that gives negative plane protection (not usable by fighters, but usable by monks) and lock him in the room with all the vampires in the graveyard and watch them all die. He also killed one of the dragons all on his oddy knocky with one quivering palm strike when I played as one. Plus his speed is nice.

Undead hunter is well suited to SoA due to the plot... He is WAY too powerful vs. undead.

My favorite character for Baldurs Gate though is a bard. Since you are pretty much constantly swapping out characters, its nice to have one who is so adaptable as your main guy. A bard can be nearly as effective as a fighter when necessary (no mastery of itemry though) and can sit in as a mage when necessary. Plus the skald's song is GREAT at higher levels. Finally there is the fact that you can identify ANYTHING just by looking at it. A very under rated class and with the versatility that the Baldur's Gate series seems to need due to the somewhat unique fact that you constantly change your party.

Baron Nocturna has spoken...

------------------
Anyone care to see my Rod of Lordly Might?