Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-17-2001, 11:12 AM   #11
Gustave
The Magister

Took me a while to read, but the Bezerker cleric sounds like a damn good character..it'll be the next class I play
Old 06-17-2001, 11:32 AM   #12
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

I like a new poster who is really into his game LOL.

Yea, Beserker clerics are a great melee class. I used one my first time through.

Paladin
Beserker/cleric
Kensai/mage
Fighter/thief
Fighter/druid
Fighter (used as archer)

A beserker cleric is powered in melee by their fighting skills, their spells (holy might, holy strength), and their beserking ability. My beserker cleric with Crom Faeyr often killed the foes including undead and demons faster than my Paladin did with his Holy Avenger.
Cast holy might (+3 str/con/dex), holy strength (max damage), get hasted, and go beserk, you will mow down ANYTHING.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:10 PM   #13
TeKNiKaLL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

1 word : DAMN!.

Im not even english though i've read it all.. did cost me quite some time
Im playing for the 3rd time now, i just don't know what it is.. but restarting the game is just so much fun..

4rd time will be berserker/cleric i think, im now playing as a inquisitor paladin which is really chopping the hell outta badguys

Good topic scottG, my compliments.

------------------
Real power, its never having to say you're sorry.
Old 06-17-2001, 12:25 PM   #14
Ratweed
Manshoon

Most excellent post i really enjoyed reading that
Old 06-17-2001, 12:42 PM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Brilliant! Great job ScottG, welcome, welcome to the Boards indeed

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-17-2001, 12:59 PM   #16
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

I agree with pretty much everything you stated there except I believe the best single class is the monk. In higher levels he's just amazing....in lower levels I just bought him that +5 sling and he was my archer type person. This is the party i'm currently running and it has done very very well.

Beserker/Cleric level 9/19
Monk level 19
thief/mage level 16/14 (multi class)
Barbarian level 18

Its a very, very offensive group and has done well so far.

Um..I soloed the game with a Kensai/Mage and I found it incredibly easy.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:49 PM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Cheers! For presenting a well thought out discussion. Rationality is rare in the Human race these days.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

Old 06-17-2001, 01:52 PM   #18
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

Great post, really help me since I am a new CRPG player. Really let me understand what to look for in generating a new char.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:01 PM   #19
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Hi ALL! - Thanks for the praise.

Yes it did take me a while to write this (but it has been something I have been thinking about for quite awhile now). (About 5 hours - when I posted I looked up and saw that it was 5 in the morning.)

Hmm, didn't know that Keldorn and Amoen work together after Amoen is Knighted - Good to know (thanks).

On the single-class Monk, this was the 1st char. I tried. I thought that you could dual-class to anything when I 1st played the game, so I was going to Monk-it and then dual to a mage. Ugggg, imagin my surprise when I realized he couldn't dual. The prob. is that early in the game he is to prone to being hit (i.e. he takes a lot of damage and needs healing which is the exact same problem with the Kensai - and the Kensai does a lot more damage with each hit using Katana's)

I did do the mageslayer route for about 5 minutes untill I learned he couldn't quaff a healing potion, what a pathetic waste of a class kit.

I have also used Assasins, frankly they are too tedious to use trying to manuever them for a backstab and often having a backstab that simply doesn't work on the monster (Also No magic ability at all, nevermind healing, though you could dual to a mage.) I guess the real question with 75-a-hit is how often do you hit?, will you be able to hit every monster?, will you always be able to postition yourself for a hit? BTW, forget the bow route - go with the cloak of mirrors and your +5 darts poisoned (devistating even to Kangaxx).

The inability to heal is a real limiting factor in the 1st half of the game. When you get the ring of Gaxx it really no longer becomes an issue (except for ressurection). There is a book of spells for non-mages to use, there should have also been a priest book that worked similarly, found earlier on in the game.

I prefer to squish (often literally) my opponents & shrug off hits - at all times during the game. As Sunder says: "you will mow down ANYTHING". By the end of the game with exp. point cap removed the Berserker/Cleric hits 4 times a turn with hit's on a Baalor like: 54,36,38,42 B4 the Baalor has a chance to TRY and hit you (and he will usually only hit you on a critical hit - i.e. you can drop him b4 he touches you). In the Elf City I droped the Stone Golem, the Clay Golem, and the Adamite Golem in under 10 realtime seconds w/out getting hit once.

Oh, and Sunder you should have gone to level 10 on the berserker. (I tried level 9 & level 10 - level 10 was better).

The Berserker/Cleric is also quite good with the Sling of Everhard +5 for those distance shots (he isn't just a melee player). I can often get close to 20 each hit early on in the game (using a +2 sling w/ +2 bullets) with using the Power of One spell to enhance strength and dexterity.

The last combination I'll prob. look into is an Archer kit ranger dualed to a mage (though a ranger really shouldn't be able to be dualed). (And no, I don't think this combination overall will be as good as a Berserker/Cleric.)
Old 06-18-2001, 01:30 AM   #20
Balor
Dungeon Master

WOW Man thats a lot.. Nice read though.. Kept me thinken.. But I do happen to agree that a Monk later on in the game is a pretty awesome charicter.. and Yeah I know he can't heal him self or anything like that.. thats why you bring along your god ol' berserker/cleric to protect the monk till he gets to the point that they both can "MOW EVERYTHING DOWN!" thats just going to be the way I put my next party together.. and oh thanks for the berserker/cleric idea.. never would of thought of it..

And you say you dueled it at 10 and not 9?

Ooops.. sorry.. Welcome to the bord!

[This message has been edited by Balor (edited 06-18-2001).]