Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-24-2000, 09:54 PM   #1
Kaliken

Whats up everyone. I am new to the board and i just wanted to ask a general opinion question. Who would you rather have. Anomen or Jaheira. Currently my party includes Jaheira but she is becoming a drag because I have a rep. of 20. (okay okay I am Cavalier so no rips on the Paladin/Goodness thing) The only problem I am having is that I think I finished all of Jaheiras sub-plots (because I have an entry in the completed quests about her and the Harpers). Also when I ask her to leave she says that I doubt we'll see each other again and then she vanishs. I don't want to miss anything else that may happen (for jaheiras sub-plots/quests)then again, she is becoming quite annoying by complaining about maintaining balance. So i guess the question is should i ditch Jaheira for Anomen(with bracers of Dexterity)?

Mind you that i am only in Chapter 3 but i have done as many side quests that i could so i am at level 13. I currently have in my party: Myself:Cavalier, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Nalia, Aerie. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2000, 07:56 AM   #2
Illusionist

Well, I've hated Jaheira since BG1, where she ended up in foe-sized chunky bits (forgot to wear armor and carry a weapon into battle), so perhaps I'm biased. I've always dropped Jaheira as soon as I arrive in Waukeen's Promenade, and then gone straight to the Copper Coronet to get Anomen, so I've never picked him up with my party above level 9 or so. I assume his level when you get him is somehow related to yours.

Anomen is good at pounding anything or anybody you point him at, he has lots of hit points, and if you're female, he can be a love interest. I don't know how different his dialog is if the protagonist is a male, but I don know many guys absolutely hate him.

Anomen has a quest to become a knight, and if you are playing a good party you can encourage him in correct behavior. This will no doubt help him in the long run, and if he becomes a knight, that would benefit the whole party, don't you think?

Bottom line, you don't need that bossy druid in your party. But an extra cleric will be helpful once you leave for your rescue mission. Oh yeah, you won't be comming back to the city for a while, so make sure you have the party members with you that you like, because you will be tolerating them for some time.

Old 10-25-2000, 07:58 AM   #3
Illusionist

Sorry about the typo. I meant to say: I do know many guys hate him.

Old 10-26-2000, 07:21 AM   #4
TheSpaceCoyote

I've kept Jaheira since BG1. She can be VERY good, esp. at higher levels. Give her a potion of giant strength & the simitar with a +1 attack/round and she'll kick butt better than Minsc. She's got a 17 dex, which brings her AC down nicely (+ full plate and a ring of prot +2). She becomes as untouchable as my character. Viconia is the better cleric. Give Viconia a girdle of giant strength.

Keep Jaheira.

Old 10-26-2000, 07:52 AM   #5
Gecko

Jaheirakeptdyingonmesowhenshegotsmashedintotinylit tlebitsbyagolemiletherstaydeadbecauseshe
isnotevilenoughandsheisanuglyweaklingloltheforceso fgoodshallperishundermyevilness

Old 10-26-2000, 10:41 AM   #6
TheSpaceCoyote

Hey Gecko (or is it Geico?), that strange looking l-o-n-g key on the bottom of your keyboard is a 'space bar.' It's normally used so words are easier to read.

Old 10-26-2000, 11:02 AM   #7
Glorick the Half-Orc

There is no debate here. Anomen is the best Cleric in the game. He is dual classed and will get to lvl 20 by the end, giving him TWO SEVENTH LEVEL SPELLS. Jehiera will never pass lvl 14 as a druid. Anomen also has MASIIVE hit points and can take a beating, and can go MAX specialization in weapons. Throw the Guantlets of Dex on him and he is a wicked fighter with that 18 strength.

There is no debate over who is better for this installment of BG. But Jehiera gives some intersting dialogue for some people - I wanted to kill her, she annoyed me. As for Anomen's quest, it will give heim 50K xp and 10K to the party, not too shabby. Also, there are no good weapons usable by Jehiera, for Anomen there is a Mace of Disruption, Flail of the Ages, some GREAT slings, etc. and he can wear the +5 Full Plate Mail! Jehiera is good for chap 1, dump her and pick up anomen.

And everyone remember - CALCULATE THE MAX LEVELS FOR MULI-CLASS CHARACTERS!!!! You will find they will NEVER achive high levels with the cap, and you will NEVER get high level spells/abilities. Multi-class absolutely SUCKS in BG2, it was decent in BG1, but here it SUCKS.

Dual-class is the way to go.

Old 10-26-2000, 01:48 PM   #8
TheSpaceCoyote

You really shouldn't compare Anomen to Jaheira. Druid spells aren't exactly the same as cleric spells. It should be Anomen v. Viconia or Jaheira v. ThatOtherDruid. And Jaheira is the better druid since ThatOtherDruid can't wear armor, he just shapeshifts.

As for Jaheira's weapons I give her the Scimitar + 2 ( + 1 attack/rnd). Number of attacks/round is a big factor in my strategy. Combine that with a girdle of giant strength and she'll never miss. If you need more than a + 2 remember that she's proficient in staves, and there's a ton of good staves out there. Some that even give AC bonuses.

Old 10-26-2000, 01:57 PM   #9
Tipsy McSwagger

Jaheria is also proficient in Clubs. You can get Blackblood which is a +3 Club that does something like +3 acid damage with each strike. Nice for beating up on all those magical beasties that require +3 to hit.

Plus, I can't remember if Anomen learns "Summon Fire Elemental" or not but that's a kick-arse spell. Granted you can have your Mage learn it but it's pretty kick-arse. Summoning one fire elemental and two mountain bears has served me well in a number of occasions.

I actually have both Anomen and Jaheria in my party and have been quite happy with both of them for different reasons. It's me (swashbuckler) Minsc, Jaheria, Anomen, Aerie and Nalia. I have the cleric spells divided nicely up between Jaheria, Anomen and Nalia and have the Mage spells divided up nicely between Nalia and Aerie. Aerie (+5 Sling of Everard), myself (can't remember the name of the shortbow, uses +3 phantom arrows) and Nalia (whatever shortbow provides 3 attacks per round) provide ranged support while Minsc (with Lilacor), Anomen (Hammer of Tbolts) and Jaheria (Blackblood) go toe-to-toe with all the beasties.

Old 10-26-2000, 06:36 PM   #10
ldemon

I wouldn't underestimate Jaheria. For some reason, although she is a Druid she can still wear full-plate and still cast her druid spells. So kitted out with Blackblood (great club) or Wyverns Tail at lower levels, shadow armour or +2 plate and a +3 Fortress shield, her AC becomes -8 at around lvl 13. This means she wades in with myself and Minsc and provides both frontline support and also gets some good hits in. Her THAC0 isn't bad as well.

Plus her cleric fire elementals are ideal, providing me with two almost instant beasties compared with the Mages fire elementals.

Lil
Knight of the Lecherous