Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-24-2001, 01:30 PM   #1
Gromjar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Few specific questions that require spoilers...thanks in advance!

SPOILER

What's the mask of King Strohm III used for (I put it together but still have it listed as a chapter 2 quest)

What are empty vials used for...have 2

Theres another quest potion that I have (chapter 2 and forget the name but think it starts with an F)...what's it for?

Also, when leaving spellhold I had 2 choices...take a boat with the traitor or use the portal. The portal took me straight to chapter 5 whereas the boat kept me in chapter 4 where I'm employed by the sea devils. Am I correct in my assumption that taking the boat let's me basically do side quests before I get to chapter 5...but that I don't miss anything that taking the portal path would allow?

Also, I only got 1 brief quest (some merchant) from Nalia's stronghold...do you get much more than that if you linger around?

Finally, will I have a chance to go back and finish chapter 2 quests up at some point? I have a few quests left...one of which was the lich guy. I got his pieces but imprisonment was too rough to handle. I guess I could do it if I knew which spells to use against a demilich to damage it, but I'm rusty on my AD&D monster manual rules ...because the only ppl in my group that can use spell immunity are Aerie, Jan and Imoen (now was Nalia before).

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to get the most out of the game in 1 sitting because I doubt I'll play it through again. Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2001, 02:25 PM   #2
starloc
Elite Waterdeep Guard

a couple of answers:
Mask of King Strohm III protects against critical hits, that's it. But it is wearable by any class, even mages and bards so you give them protection against critical hits.

I don't know about empty vials in TOB but in SOA they are nothing but garbage. Throw them away as well as any used keys since they take up useful equipment slots.

------------------
"Cry Havok, and let loose the dogs of war!"
Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
Old 08-24-2001, 03:59 PM   #3
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

Mask also allows you to see the final guardin of the Tomb - the invisible Fire Elemental (although so would the true sight)
Old 08-24-2001, 04:28 PM   #4
Gromjar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ahh that explains the mask. Cool.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
rodimus
The Magister

You will miss a heck of good items, if you use the portal:
Spoiler
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
First, the best cloak you can get in the whole game: Cloak of mirroring
Its awesome.
2. Part of the wave (good halberd)
3. Lots of XP
4. Lots of gold

BTW, can anyone tell me what changes with the cloak of mirroring when ToB installed?
Old 08-24-2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by rodimus:
BTW, can anyone tell me what changes with the cloak of mirroring when ToB installed?
Yeah, It becomes exceedingly less powerful. Instead of bouncing the spells back to the caster, it simply absorbs them (ie: they have no effect).

No more petrifying Beholders with their own gaze attacks.

Also, when using it, instead of having a mirror graphic beneath your character's feet, they are permenantly surrounded by a glowing semi-translucent ball.

I don't use the thing anymore...

------------------
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 08-24-2001, 06:38 PM   #7
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
Yeah, It becomes exceedingly less powerful. Instead of bouncing the spells back to the caster, it simply absorbs them (ie: they have no effect).

No more petrifying Beholders with their own gaze attacks.

Also, when using it, instead of having a mirror graphic beneath your character's feet, they are permenantly surrounded by a glowing semi-translucent ball.

I don't use the thing anymore...

I like the cloak more now (it was overly powerful) but i have the graphs

------------------

The Rocks show the way

Old 08-24-2001, 07:11 PM   #8
Gromjar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do you miss out on good items if you support the prince...it's the good thing to do but the NPC's are telling me they have less in the way of rewards...

However, I'm not sure how it plays out yet, like maybe you can do the good thing and get the items too.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:37 PM   #9
rodimus
The Magister

When you go with the prince, you will miss the part of the wave. Try pickpocketing the prince b4 finishing the chapter!