Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hi guys, welcome to the forum [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I was going after stoneskin to aid in taking out the bronze sentries in Lower Dorn's, so the TotL scroll wasn't that helpful to me. It's too bad that there aren't more stoneskin scrolls available in the main game, for those of us that like to use more than one arcane caster per party.

I tend not to use Otiluke's RS - it's only good for one fight, and casting it on creatures is a hit-and-miss proposition, especially if they have magic resistance and/or high saves. Casting it on yourself takes that character out of the picture - I generally will only cast ORS on myself in the final fight of the game. Further, ORS is less effective with HoW installed; creatures will switch targets instead of pounding on an invulnerable target. It's very good for protecting an injured character, though, especially against area-effect spells.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #12
Grog
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I always use at least 2 arcane casters, sometimes three. So, the major lack of spell scrolls was one of the things I set out to fix with Auril's Bane. That being said, I could easily add one to a shop for the next version of Auril's Bane. Of course, that really won't help you if you don't use MODs. [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"He who kneels before God can stand before anyone.” ~Anonymous <br /><br />\"You need to change how you look at it, when you can\'t change the it you\'re looking at.\" - Bishop T.D. Jakes <br /><br />[url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=23\" target=\"_blank\">Auril\'s Bane</a> -- An IWD Mod
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I had been thinking of creating a mage with a shop in either Easthaven (in the inn) or on the next-to-the-lowest level of Dragon's Eye which offers mage scrolls.
Much to my chagrin, though, is the fact that even though I can successfully create a store I am having trouble getting the mage to show up and initiate dialogue....

If you start a game in HoF mode and begin everyone at level 1, by the time your 5th- to 7th-level mage makes it to Kuldahar you have been running on only a handful of 1st- and 2nd-level spells and you don't have the money to buy many scrolls from Orrick. How sad!

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:42 AM   #14
Grog
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
I had been thinking of creating a mage with a shop in either Easthaven (in the inn) or on the next-to-the-lowest level of Dragon's Eye which offers mage scrolls.
Much to my chagrin, though, is the fact that even though I can successfully create a store I am having trouble getting the mage to show up and initiate dialogue....
You'll need to add the CRE file directly to the area.

Quote:
If you start a game in HoF mode and begin everyone at level 1, by the time your 5th- to 7th-level mage makes it to Kuldahar you have been running on only a handful of 1st- and 2nd-level spells and you don't have the money to buy many scrolls from Orrick. How sad!
Auril's Bane adds a merchant in the starting area who sells spell scrolls.
\"He who kneels before God can stand before anyone.” ~Anonymous <br /><br />\"You need to change how you look at it, when you can\'t change the it you\'re looking at.\" - Bishop T.D. Jakes <br /><br />[url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=23\" target=\"_blank\">Auril\'s Bane</a> -- An IWD Mod
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Grog:
quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
You'll need to add the CRE file directly to the area.[/QUOTE]That idea hit me at 4:17AM this morning. [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img] However, I do appreciate the hint. Perhaps with another week's worth of tweaking I can get my merchant to appear, which means I am one step closer to being able to create mods. Of course, at that point I'll have to win the lottery so I can quit work, divorce my wife so I can have time to create, etc. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote