Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Text-messaging driver hits parked patrol car

Quote:
Kelsey Hazlewood
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 27, 2007 03:15 PM

A Gilbert woman who was text messaging while driving hit a parked patrol car that had its emergency lights flashing early Wednesday morning, authorities said Wednesday.

Department of Public Service Sgt. Annette Reyes-Miller was in her marked patrol car in the eastbound lanes of Loop 202 between Santan and Gilbert roads providing traffic safety at a Department of Transportation construction site. The patrol vehicle was parked behind the construction crew with the emergency lights flashing, according to officials.

Authorities believe Gilbert resident Jenna R. Meyers, 22, drove her Chevrolet Blazer directly into the patrol car at about 12:15 a.m.

Reyes-Miller was taken to an area hospital for facial bruises and chest pain, officials said.

Meyers told officers on the scene that she had been text messaging when the accident occurred. Officers also believe impairment was a factor.

Charges for Meyers are pending.
I really think they should make an example out of this idiot. Not only is she extremely irresponsible, but she hurt a cop.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Sad but true, such bad habit is quite common.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

geeze, i see az drivers doing stupid stuff like that all the time. i think it's bad enough talking on the cell phone and driving, so i'm getting my bf's mother a hands-free setup because she makes me VERY nervous when she drives. she uses her drive time to make all her telephone calls. add to this that she's the kinda talker who uses hand gestures when she talks and you might get the picture.

i think phone usage while driving should be outlawed. dunno why sheriff joe hasn't jumped on the bandwagon for this issue.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

I've done it so uh can't comment more then that
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I quite regularly text while driving (depending on where I'm driving of course). Predictive text means you can text without looking at the screen and therefore have full concentration on road.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I've texted whilst waiting at a red light, but never texted while moving.

I did though, today actually, drive whilst eating a sandwich. But it was a Subway one, and they are *so* nice I should be allowed to [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
I quite regularly text while driving (depending on where I'm driving of course). Predictive text means you can text without looking at the screen and therefore have full concentration on road.
If you *ever* hit me or any of my mates, Im printing this out and showing it in court. Just so you know. As for full concentration while texting.. you know better than that. You may be looking at the road, but you cant focus properly on the road and the mobile at the same time.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Hahaha! Aye I knew someone would say full concetration blah, but I don't tend to text in the middle of union street! I've cut down and only generally text in country areas / out of town.

Anyways, chances are if I hit you you wouldn't be able to print this out x