Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-18-2002, 10:19 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I can't find an active board on Planescape so I figure here is as good of a place to post as any.

My question is on development. I just made my first character and I kind of spread out all my initial character points, then I plan to focus on INT, WIS, and CHA, and my character will switch over to a mage later. Is this a bad strategy, should I have allocated more points to the three main skills to start? I've never played any game like this so I could really use some tips.

But please, no spoilers.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

I mad mine a fighter, which everybody told me made the early stages easier. I'm interested to see the responses, but would suggest the Black Isle Forums, which have a PS: T forum and some very lovely guys who explained a lot to me.
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-18-2002, 11:32 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

My character I made a fighter as well, like you, I had no idea what the game was about at the time. I WILL say though that your Intelligence points you should keep up there, as throughout the game in some instances a high intelligence is paramount. Of course, you can also up your intelligence through tatoos later, but still, don't originally make your intelligence a low number when creating a character. Good luck! It's a great game, and really, not matter what you choose, the game has ways to get around obstacles no matter what you choose. Just easier if you keep intelligence on the higher side is all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-19-2002, 04:16 AM   #4
Erydian
Manshoon

Actually the stat that I found the most useful was Wisdom, closely followed by Intelligence, and then Constitution/Charisma.

Why wisdom? It increases the amount of experience that you receive throughout the game. A character with higher wisdom will gain more experience for completing the same quest that someone with a lower wisdom score would have. Additionally, wisdom seems to factor in the most when it comes to finding alternate (and usually the best, exp-wise) dialogue options - as well as when it comes to recollecting memories. Also, it increases your Lore rating (as does INT).

Intelligence is also key to getting the "best" dialogue options, and if you're looking to play as a mage, you should definately pay attention to it. Usually, in situations where INT directly influences your dialogue options WIS also will (although there are a few that rely solely on INT I believe). Generally speaking, for quest purposes you'd probably want a 15+ INT at the very least and more if you want to be a mage.

Charisma is probably the third most important statistic when it comes to getting what you want out of quests, though it is far less important than wisdom in these cases. Usually, the options that a high charisma would award you are no better than what a high wisdom would get you. There are, however a couple cases in the game where this is not true, and I'd probably advise attaining a 16+ charisma (either through allocation or items) before too long in the game.

Constitution doesn't work the same way in this game that it does in other AD&D games. Raising your constitution at any point in the game will get you all of the bonus HPS that you would have had if your constitution had been that way since the start of the game. This also applies to when you lose constitution - though as you might guess the reverse happens. In addition to affecting your HP total, constitution also increases the Nameless One's regeneration rate. Because it is retroactive, you can probably survive for quite some time without actually having to up your constitution, and as long as you can, there's no penalty to waiting until you have some of your more important stats at the levels that you want them to be. I tend to think of Constitution and Strength as stats that I raise after I'm done with WIS,INT, and CHA.

DEX affects your AC, much like in standard AD&D, just as STR affects your THAC0 and overall combat proficiency. There are a *few* quests that can only be completed if you have sufficient STR, but you'd miss out on far much more choosing STR over WIS or INT. DEX will also affect your thieving abilities, as well as your ability to catch pickpockets (though you usually tend to need WIS as well).

During character creation, I pumped my WIS, INT, and CHA. Once I had them at the levels I wanted I began to raise other stats. There are walkthroughs available that will tell you exactly when you need a certain stat etc. but unless you're going to resort to one of those, then you're not going to get everything perfect the first time through - so don't worry about it too much. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Planescape really isn't all that combat-orientated, and when you do have to fight don't forget that a mage can be just as devastating as a fighter. You can play the game any way you want (it's possible to play even if you utterly ignore the stats I've suggested), but I'd strongly advise focusing on WIS and INT. By doing so you will gain access to most quest experience, as well as increase the amount of experience that your character gains overall. Keep in mind that there will be opportunities to boost your stats through quests throughout the game, as well as items that will augment your weaker stats.

EDIT: When considering what class you will be, keep in mind that whatever you choose - you're going to want to "become" that class as soon as possible. Why? Because when you change classes, whatever experience that you had as the previous class does NOT carry over. Therefore, if you plan to be anything other than a fighter, I'd advise finding an NPC that is capable of training you in your class of choice before completing too many quests. Additionally, there are "bonus" levels (7th and 12th), and when you hit those levels, you gain certain bonuses to your stats and/or skills appropriate to the class that you currently are. You can only get these bonuses ONCE.

If you're going to opt for the WIS, INT, CHA path, you're probably best off being a mage. You could remain a fighter, but it would definately be more challenging (at least until you started to devote your attention to the more combat orientated stats).

Some quests are only available to certain classes, and you might as well change to the appropriate class to do them (as they would simply not be available to you otherwise), but for the most part, I'd recommend choosing a class, and sticking with it. Finding NPC trainers can be a tad difficult when you first begin, but once you've found them (and some of your party members will be capable of training you, too), changing over really isn't an issue.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Erydian ]

Old 01-19-2002, 05:58 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Just adding my two cents here.

I've also found INT WIS and CHA the most important stats in this game, even if you are a fighter. Lower CON and DEX does mean you'll be wounded more often but you regenerate anyway (even though it's slower than with high CON) and I usually use most of the healing charms for The Nameless One. Now, as soon as you feel comfortable playing the game, I really recommend switching to a mage. I did that in my first game and I didn't regret it at all. It will get you all the quests from the old woman who trains you, and make sure you have Dak'kon in your party as well - with the high WIS/INT/CHA combo you can have lots of interesting conversation with him, learn new spells and gain XP.

Besides, if your Charisma, Intelligence and Wisdom are really high (I always used the +2 tattoos for each) you will find you can avoid fighting more often. After a few level-ups, you can rely on Morte and Dak'kon for fighting, and become a mage yourself. And remember, you can ALWAYS switch! Once you've learnt the basics of being a mage, fighter and thief, you can:
Talk to Annah in your party when you want to switch from either Fighter or Mage to thief
Talk to Dak'kon (or Ignus) in your party if you want to switch from either Thief or Fighter to Mage
Talk to Dak'kon if you want to switch from Mage or Thief to Fighter.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Enjoy the game, all! It's one of the greatest games I ever played! (though I lent it to a friend before I could finish it... waaaah!)
Old 01-19-2002, 07:02 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

(though I lent it to a friend before I could finish it... waaaah!)

I never finished it myself, thats why I try again each vacation. But I always lack the time to finish it, so I start again the next year

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]

Old 01-19-2002, 10:04 AM   #7
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

Very interesting stuff. Maybe that explains why I've nver gotten out of the hive. I can't get anyone but Morty to join my party, though I've found Annah and Ignis. Maybe it's 'cause I keep quitting and go back to SOA. As one of the guys on the Balck Isle Boards said to me, "Why would a woman want to be a huge, scarred guy being followed around by a floating, lecherous skull?"
Lady Galadria, a proud Cavalier of Keldorn\'s Order; Oh So Simple Marshmallow Woman of the ORT. Member, HADB<br /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" -Saki<br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 01-19-2002, 10:12 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Galadria1:
Very interesting stuff. Maybe that explains why I've nver gotten out of the hive. I can't get anyone but Morty to join my party, though I've found Annah and Ignis. Maybe it's 'cause I keep quitting and go back to SOA. As one of the guys on the Balck Isle Boards said to me, "Why would a woman want to be a huge, scarred guy being followed around by a floating, lecherous skull?"

ROTFL! That was hard for me to stomach as well.. just like it's weird playing a guy in BG actually. But I assure you that the game is well worth it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and don't worry about Annah and Ignis - they're not meant/able to join you now but will definitely do so later (spoiler/hint - Annah will once you find Pharod or whatever his name is, and Ignis will once you find out how to get him out of those flames). Oh, and Dak'kon is one of the best NPCs IMHO that will be able to join you as soon as you talk to him. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can find him in the same bar where Ignis is.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:23 AM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Galadria1:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought that was kind of weird that the player could only be a guy. But it makes sense according to the storyline, I guess. It would have taken a lot more memory for the game (since it's so text driven) to make multiple text for a male or female player. There's a lot to do in the hives, and some of the party members will not join you until you talk to them about something specific or you trigger a certain event. First time through, I didn't take well to the lip that Annah gave me, so I scragged her. It wasn't until later that I found out she was a NPC. Once you get out of the hive, things start to pick up though. It's a really cool game. I've played it like 3 times already because there is more than 1 ending. I believe there are 3, but I'm not for sure. I've seen 2 of them though. My character ended as a mage (36th level)/thief (24th level)/fighter (13th level). S'funny here. The main reason that the thief level went so high was because when I was in the Undercity, I found out that backstabbing and stealth could help save my party. I locked the other party members up where I could explore on my own and I kept doing the hide/run/backstab/run routine until I cleared it all out. Then I would go back to the city proper and go back down. I must have done this non-stop for like a week until I got up to the level thief I wanted. Sometimes the NPC's can be handicaps. Sometimes you gotta go it alone. Main thing I want to bring up to you is that you should not randomly kill people without at least talking to them first. A lot of people will either trigger memories, offer you items/spells, or will be important in some way. The game will let you play on even if you do something wrong (like me killing Annah and the person I needed to get a spell from), but it's easier if you are better prepared.

EDIT: Oh yeah, keep an eye on your alignment too. Certain events are triggered based on what alignment you are. Meaning certain factions will treat you differently according to how you come across. This also isn't really highly important either, because the game just doesn't care. It will let you be as good or as bad as you want. It's cool like that. ;o)

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Tobbin ]

Old 01-19-2002, 10:41 AM   #10
Galadria1
Zhentarim Guard

[img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks, Mel and Tobbin. I really am going to try and play it again, since I 'm currently playing SoA trying to get the Nalia Romance tht I downloaded off of the Internet to work. I can't get it ot start, and they told me that a certain event triggers it, so I'm stuck playing and replaying the same thing over and over again, which is kinda boring. [img]smile.gif[/img]