Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-09-2001, 01:18 PM   #1
Jordi
Dungeon Master

Ok, so I am a newbie here. be gentle.

How do I force-attack? I see it refered to all the time and I would love to take out some blue-circled characters from time to time. Covering my ass: I looked through the manula and searched here to no avail.

How can I use entangle or any long-rnage spell? Anytime I spot critters that I wnat to hit with a long range spell, like a fireball or entangle, they get so close by the time that I cast that the spell is pointless or entangles all my party members.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:19 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

You can force attack by clicking on the sword icon and then on the person you want to attack, i would think twice before attacking innocent bystanders though.
Old 11-09-2001, 02:08 PM   #3
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

using the auto-pause function is extremely useful for targetting characters at range, you can go into options and set teh autopause, i tend to autopause on char death, spell cast, weapon unusable (a holdover from bg1 where weapons would break on you, also useful for ranged weapons), and enemy sighted, may be a few more too... if it autopauses when u see an enemy, it often gives you a chance to target them before they see your character, you can also make frequent use of the spacebar to pause the game for spellcasting and mid-combat order changes, like if you wanted to switch weapons quickly
Old 11-09-2001, 02:15 PM   #4
Jordi
Dungeon Master

Thanks.

I have been pausing. The first time I played (I tend to jump in) I didn't know about it and it was an unholy mess.

Still, spells seem to have a range, and to get close enough to cast many of them, I become visible to the enemy, they come running over and etc etc. Like, i have been playing the Druid Grove, and those damn trolls come running at me before Jaheira or Aerie can slow them down with entangle or that web spell.

Are some spells faster? Can you get faster with leveling up?

Also, some spells reguire touching an enemy. What if they whack you mid-cast? How can you use tehse when you ae toe-to-toe with a baddie?

Signed,
Confused
Old 11-09-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

typically lower level spells are faster, in teh spell description of each spell it lists a casting time, this is how long it takes the spellcaster to do his thing to get the spell to work, either by shaping the arcane magicks or by calling on the might of his god.
if you have the bonus cd, or downloaded the goodies off of it, can't remember where you can get it, one of the merchants in the adventurers mart has the robe of Vecna, which lowers casting time by 4 or 5, there is also an amulet you get in act 3 that lowers casting time by 1
Old 11-09-2001, 04:39 PM   #6
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

When casting area spells, always target BEHIND your enemy. I had this problem when I began in BG1 until someone told me otherwise as well. Using those priest protection spells help a lot too. I love using the 4th level Protection from Lightning on all my guys and just keep casting Lightning Bolt or using the wand when I run out of spells. Those babies bounce around real well. It's the gift that keeps on giving. You can cast fireballs right in the middle of everyone if they are protected 100% from fire. If they have more than 100% ........well you'll see. Blast away!
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Old 11-09-2001, 04:43 PM   #7
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Jordi,

You should definitely set your auto-pause to stop when an enemy is spotted. This makes all the difference in the world when casting area of effect spells. Most of the time you can back up a little and plan up your actions before they spot you.

As far as touch-based spells. Use spells like Mirror Image and Stoneskin to protect your mage. These are two must have spells for your mages. If you are hit while casting, the spell is interrupted.
Old 11-09-2001, 04:44 PM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Another fun trick is to scout ahead with a thief, or ranger, and find them, then backtrack so that you're just out of visual range (they're hidden in the fog of war) and drop your area affect spells at the edge of the fog, the area affect will get most if not all of the enemies giving them a heaping helping of hurtin before you actually start fighting them.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:42 PM   #9
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Hey we like newbies, someone has to take the place of the grizzled veterans when they quit playing. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! I would advise trying using the autopause, you think and react alot faster than you can manipulate your character so why should you be penalized for that if you use and autopause, especially when an enemy appears it will let you organize and direct your party the way you want to.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:08 PM   #10
Jordi
Dungeon Master

Thanks much.

I figured that some of the touch spells are "set up" and then you can go touch. Like harm.

I thought an area effect had to be at a monster. Canyou target apiece of turf? This refers to the comment about targeting behind teh ebnemy. Or, do fireballs explode when they touch something so you can be in the LOS of teh baddie?

Thanks again.

J