Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-04-2001, 11:56 PM   #1
acidburrito
Welcomed New User

hi. i was wondering, are there any downsides to switching to the upgraded roles early? i switched my mage to warlock at level 2 or 3, and i switched all my fighters to barbarians at lvl 1 or 2 for example. was this not such a good idea? also, my game crashes every time i kill an amazoni mantrap. through a LOT of effort, i managed to kill one at level 6. is the exp from this too much for my level and causing me to go up 2 levels? can the game handle it if you get 2 lvls from 1 kill? this is really annoying, as that mantrap took forever to kill with my lvl 6 mage... well, thanks in advance
acidburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 12:35 AM   #2
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

As a general rule, Switching that early is too soon. Lvl 5-6 from Warrior to Barb, and at least Lvl 12 from Wizard to Warlock is recommended. One reason is that, once you ascend to a new role, you gain levels much more quickly, and the higher levels take progressively more Exp Pts to gain each level. So, to maximize hit points, spell book developement, and skill developement, it's better to wait a while longer to develope stronger characters.

I haven't heard of a bug like that you described, but perhaps Saz or Wyvern or another distinguished poster has some sage advice on that. Happy hunting! AND, WELCOME to the W&W Forum, Acidburrito!
+Dr.Pick
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 01:44 AM   #3
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Welcome AcidBurrito!

No, moving up 2 levels with a single kill is allowed and often done when doing a solo run. I think the most levels I got with one kill was when I killed Oakenmire just to see if it could be done. I think I went up 40 levels by killing one character.

I hate to say this, but it looks like you will have to search elsewhere for the reason your system is crashing. Do you know if you are playing with the patch? I have heard that it prevents crashing in some areas, and promotes crashing in others.

Good Luck,
Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:38 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

The 2 class upgrades you have chosen (Wizard to Warlock, and Fighter to Barbarian) are both good moves, and ones that have no serious downsides for making early. As a Warlock, there are no penalties to learning Sun and Stone magic so I think this move is well worth it. Moving a fighter to barbarian is just a good quick way of gaining lockpick skills if you didn't waste space in your party by starting with a rogue. Sorry, but I have no info to offer on your crash problem - haven't heard anything similar discussed before.

------------------
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 02:52 PM   #5
acidburrito
Welcomed New User

thanks for the help guys! at least i know what the problem isn't now thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-2001, 03:58 PM   #6
acidburrito
Welcomed New User

ok, im stumped...the game hasn't ever crashed on any other parts for me, just that one mantrap kill next to shurugeon castle always crashes...grr. is there a way to enter the castle and get on with the game without killing the mantraps? do you have to kill them?
Old 07-05-2001, 09:52 PM   #7
andora20
Manshoon

If u don't kill 'em, they'll hunt ya down. U can get a good vantage point from inside the Castle to knock 'em off 1 at a time.Have u tried this? it may not crash

------------------
Carpe Diem, Carpe Jugulem
andora20 is offline   Reply With Quote