Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 08-01-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is the absolut best thing to do in the beginning like what roles, stats, races for the roles, items, spells, skills, etc. to have?
Old 08-02-2002, 05:02 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

No answer exists. It depends on your play style completely. Different people will offer mutually exclusive hints [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think only one things should be noted:
TRAP: If you create a spellcaster (mage, priest) then give him BOTH magic schools during creation. Otherwise, the spellcaster will be unable to learn the missing magic school and he can gain it only by means of role changing. You can gain Vine and Spirit easily and Sun rather easily but the only classes that gain Stone are mage, valkyrie and zenmaster. In the other words, if you do not give Stone to your mage then the mage will be unable to gain Stone almost until the end of the game.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:52 AM   #3
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

You need a mage to start if you want to get stone magic. I dont think a rogue is necessary because a barbarian can do the same job. I use a Whiskas because he has the night vision trait that is handy in dungeons. I dont like the Ommpaz because it is hard to find armour.
Regardless of what you want your charactors to turn out as it is useful to make them a barbarian early for more hp. Expect at least 5 role changes. It is good to specialize in types of magic one at a time until you get the level 7 spells. Use warlock late in the game to round out your spells.
All of the above ideas are just personal choices. Every player has differant ideas and most of them work. Look at the best tips for more clues.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:40 PM   #4
Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

No more stuff? And ive been through ther best tips to no avail.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:15 AM   #5
the_young_one
Manshoon

Can you be more specific as to what you want to know?

For myself, I could probably write a ten page essay on how to play W&W, but this takes a long time and kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to play a RPG. If you want tricks/cheats etc for a specific character class, then at least that's a bit more specific and more likley to get responses...
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:08 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Arsales, the beauty of this game is that you don´t need certain conmbinations. Evrey character can change into every class later no matter what class they start with [img]smile.gif[/img] . There are of course some race isssues, a gourk isn´t that intellligent as an oomphaz whoisn´t as agile as a ratling etc. But then I´ve got an oomphaz rogue and a gourk wizard in my party. When you start levelling up your characters there won´t be much difference form an elven wizard and a gourk one... The party combinations should be what you like to try out, it´s that simple.

[ 08-05-2002, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 08-05-2002, 10:14 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

To put it in perspective, the stuff that's in the Best Tips thread would be a US$12.95 book, if it were published and available. There's lots of good material in there, but there's very little that tells you what to do.

That's because the beauty of this game is its flexibility. There are no right answers! If you want an oompha rogue (*imagining elephant feet picking locks*), then go ahead -- it's fine! There are just some tradeoffs involved in it. There are no wrong answers.

The essence of the game is to try, try, and try again. Some games will be easier or harder than others. All will be unique. And around these parts, no one will tell you that you picked a wrong cast of characters, or that you didn't choose them right. You may get suggestions for next time, but there's nothing wrong with your starting point.

Although, actually as I think about it, there is one thing I'd suggest you do first, before anything else.

Start playing!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote