Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #1
Dregos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Anyone know of where I can get good ai scripts for BG1?
Dregos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's down at the moment but you could try Arundor's Abode:

http://www.execulink.com/~cmohan/arundor/abode/

Try also

http://www.blackmagicgames.com/bgscripts.html
Old 01-30-2002, 05:42 PM   #3
Darkman

This page has some links to various sites on it. I personally don't use scripts so I can't vouch for the quality of these sites.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/com...s/custom.shtml
Old 01-30-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
safyre246
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Know that this is probably a stupid question, but what the shmeg are scripts? Should I get some?
[img]graemlins/hippysmile.gif[/img] thanks
safyre246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Scripts are files that tell the AI how to handle the particular NPC. Say for example Imoen has a thief script assigned that tells her to check for traps at all times unless given instructions by the player.
Then in the game Imoen will be constantly detecting traps. Say she comes across a kobold, and you tell Imoen to attack the kolbold. After dispatching the monster, she will automatically start detecting traps again.
Neat huh? Unfortuantely writing custom scripts is like rocket science, and I've always found most of the ones that come with the games (BG2, IWD) less than satisfactory.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:40 PM   #6
Dregos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the links. That'll get me started. If anyone has some real good ones, self-made even let me know.

Dregos
Old 01-31-2002, 12:01 AM   #7
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've never tried it myself, but you might try your hand at writing your own scripts. I'm not sure if the scriptor found at the link below is any good, but it looks like it might be worth a try (I've heard the one included on the disk isn't very good):

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/scriptor/
Old 01-31-2002, 03:45 PM   #8
Dregos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For those of you that don't use scripts or the crapy default ones, how do you fight your battles, with lots of manual pausing and micro-managing or with auto pauses? Battles are pretty fast and hectic for me, I do pause some but I hate the fact that going into inventory and switching weapons or reload ammunition unpauses the game. That's why I'm looking for really good scripts.

On that note, does anyone know how to slow the battle down a bit? Computers now are a bit faster than computers back then. Also I remember hearing that when playing in multi-player, you could access your inventory screen without unpausing the game. Can you move items, e.g. switch weapons, etc. without unpausing or can you only look? Also if I play in multi-player as a party of one starting out, will I get NPC's to join me as in single player and will the rest of the game be the same? I know I should just load up the game and try myself, but that's another 6 hours away so I'll just throw out these questions in the hope of finding out early. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks.

Dregos