Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Question Mark In the market for mice!

Memory's not my strong point. Evidenced by the fact that shortly before i type this, a little plastic bit where my finger should be is now mingling with various bits of other detritus in the jungle that is my desk top.

I need a new mouse. Reliability leads to complacency and all that. The sheer reliability of the mouse i've called my own for nearly a decade has made me the most complacent person on the planet when it comes to digital rodents.

If i need to get a Philip's head out within 5 years, it's not suitable. (If it contains the words "Logi" and "tech", it's not suitable.)

If anyone in my general order of slobishness has road tested and is satisfied with a potential candidate, do let me know.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: In the market for mice!

My 4 PC's and 1 laptop use either Microsoft or Asus optical or wireless mice. I find the optical mice quite good. You will have to dust off the lense on the bottom of the mouse occasionally, but should never need a Phillips head! And while I like the wireless mouse for the laptop, they do have the extra cost of buying batteries. BTW, I recommend NEVER using wireless ANYTHING if you are a dedicated online gamer. They still have noticeable lag.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've used the microsoft ergonomical-like standard mouse for a while.. have several of those in place, all with tails (cords).

I've got a couple of different wireless mice, and I can say that I don't notice much lag. I can also say that I'm not playing first-person realtime shooters where you might notice such a thing... take that for what it's worth

My current preferred wireless mouse is one of your "not suitable" ones, but I'll mention it anyway... depending on when you decided they weren't suitable, things may have changed. It's a Logitech M310, which came in a pack with a K520 wireless keyboard.

Things I like:
  • On/off switch on the mouse and keyboard. Some have an on/off switch that's activated by putting the USB receiver in the bottom of the mouse... great, unless you don't usually take it out!
  • Small size USB receiver - only sticks out about 1/4 inch, or 6 mm. I never take it out, even when packing the laptop away.
  • Good battery life - even better if I remember to turn it off when not in use!
  • Good pickup - I can use it on oak tables and other surfaces that aren't friendly to optical mice
  • Hand-friendly design... not too small, not too large, and fits well for mousing.
  • clicky scroll wheel - I don't like smooth scroll wheels. I like knowing I'm moving, and how much

Things I don't like:
  • Opening my bag when I'm on the road and realizing I forgot the stupid mouse. Again.
  • Using the Targus wireless mouse I got as a replacement when I forgot the stupid thing. Again.

I suggest heading to an office supply store and trying several different mice to see how they feel and act. You might be pleasantly surprised...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I use the regular MS wireless mouse that's generally available everywhere. I like the small size, and it's easily replaceable. I will say that you want the wireless receiver somewhere near the mouse for maximum effect. I have a USB extender cable that I've had for years, so I just set the receiver on my desk within a couple of feet of the mouse.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

G'day Sever! (long time no see, mate)

I've gone from the nastiest al-cheapo USB mice, to my most recent about six months ago that cost about $40 AU off ebay. It's a reasonably sturdy Logitech Mx-518, which I must say from personal experience, has probably been my hardiest mouse in terms of longevity and capacity to take punishment under times of duress. I haven't gone yet to fully wireless as my brother has though, as I'm not real keen on the idea of my mouse suddenly stopping dead in the middle of a game.

I quite like the browser back button my mouse (which I've got used to) and the ability to increase the dpi. But in any case, Bungleau has provided sound advice!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Standard issue Microsoft mouse - only had it three years but is the best I have ever had - and still no screwdriver required, but then again it is a laser one.

(edit - basic optical mouse v2)

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years

Last edited by wellard; 07-14-2011 at 06:54 AM.
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I will admit publicly that MS has a product I like: Microsoft wireless laser 5000 mouse. Four buttons that "you" can program plus the wheel. I like the default upper right as magnifier. Excellent for standard computing needs, it works well for me, but also not a big time gamer. I'm a large person, so the extra size fits me well. Those itzy laptop/travel mice fit in the palm of my hand, and make it difficult to use the buttons!

However, it will give you a pop-up notice that the batteries are getting weak. Third set of the "bunnies" in right at two years time.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Sever

Thanks for replies and sorry for delay! (had to fly out for work at short notice).

The mouse in question (not the tiny, crappy, laggy thing i'm using on my lappy right now) is a microsoft wireless 2.0. I don't know if it's the "ergonomic" model or not, but it's shaped like a futuristic sports car, quite big and probably designed with gaming in mind. It came in a package with a wireless keyboard (which i abandoned long ago) and was given to me as a present at a time when i was both anti-optical and anti-wireless and it completely converted me way back then. Based on the assumption that wireless can only get better, i don't think i'll ever be reverting. As with B, whatever lag it has is not noticeable by me, and i do use mine for 1st person shooters and stuff. If i have lag online, then it's certainly not the mouse's fault.

The reason i need a new one is only due to the wheel bearing finally giving up the goat and being something that can't really be cleaned, repaired or replaced. The rest of it is fine and i will definitely be keeping it as a spare.

Elfbane - extra cost associated with batteries isn't an issue. Long ago i got in the habit of keeping spare batteries for the mouse, so even short battery life isn't really an issue. As long as it gives me a day or so's notice before it refuses to work (as the old one did) i can live with it.

B - I got pissed off with logitech mainly due to the annoying software and compatability issues at the end of all the annoying software. I don't need 4 processes or more running for a mouse/keyboard combo and constant pop-ups reminding me to upgrade annoying software. I also don't need on screen reminders of the brand of peripheral i'm using. That's actually a deal breaker for most things for me. Epson is next on the shit list. Sound advice on the rest, especially the wheel clicky thing. It's gotta be an audible clunck and not super sensitive.

TL - The mouse came with a large satellite reciever for both USB (which i never used) and whatever the standard mouse and keyboard ports are called. I think the last time i purposefully had to move it for better reception was 2006 otherwise it just migrates around the desk top or floor as it pleases, collecting dust or worse. It said to keep it 8 inches away from metal, but i don't think that ever bothered it.

Cerebro (hey mate ) - As mentioned, i've never had an issue with the mouse's gaming performance that wasn't battery related. This one didn't just cut out and it didn't have noticeable lag, and this is quite an old product now. I used to be anti-wireless, but this one converted me. Extra scrolling buttons and whatnot might be good, but they'd have to be in the right spots. That;s not something i can really know until i've used it for a while.

Wellard - I think there's a pattern here and its pointing towards microsoft. In the time it's taken me to write all this, i think i've answered all my own questions. If only i could remember the name of the actual package. It'd save a lot of hassle.

Edit - In the time it's taken me to write this, Felix pops in too, with a rare prop for M$ no less! I do recall saying that my old mouse was the best microsoft product i had, and i have no great love for MS in general. That was years and probably one whole computer ago. I probably need to upgrade that statement to "one of the best [s]microsoft[/s] products i have.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo

Last edited by Sever; 07-14-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

One note for you, Sever... I have never gotten a Logitech popup about software or upgrades or anything like that.

I also don't install the stuff in the first place... just plug it in and let Windows find a driver. Haven't had an issue in at least five years... probably longer. In fact, Device Manager shows my current LT mouse as an HID-Compliant mouse... whatever that means.

Am I losing some functionality? Possibly. But the right and left buttons work, as does the scroll wheel and the various key combinations I know of (ctrl-wheel to change size, etc.). So I call that a win
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
Sever

For a minute there i thought you meant you let windows look for a driver online.. and it found one!..

Haley's Comet will come first.

Ya, i guess i could just rely on the generic drivers (at the possible expense of lost functionality that i'd never use anyway) but if i did that, why wouldn't i just do it with an MS mouse? I guess general sturdiness would be a reason. I'll take Cerebro's word for it that Logitech can make a sturdy mouse, but i wouldn't be able to verify that 'til 2020. Bah, there's just no easy way out if this. Trial and error again.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo