Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2001, 12:20 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Whats people opinions of who is the best author out of these 2. i know these things have been done many times before and im guessing salvatore will come out top by a long shot but they are my 2 fav authors and just thought id get ppls opinions on them
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 02:05 PM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

Sorry, haven't read Salvatore ... but as a book-devourer I am always in the hunt for new writers - please tell me, which books should I start with ?

I would put Robert Jordan and Robin Hobb along with Feist, though.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 11:03 PM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

u havent read salvatore????????????????
i thought anyone on this site must have read at least one. well then in that case i suggest u start off witht the dark elf trilogy: Homeland, Exile, Sojourn. From there there is the icewind dale series, the legacy of the drow, the silent blade, spine of the world, servent of the shard, and the upcoming sea of swords. if u like drizzt this is the man to read. hope this helps
Old 05-07-2001, 05:11 PM   #4
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Raymond E. Feist in my humble opinion. I have enjoyed Salvatore's books, but I believe Feist is a better 'craftsman' in writing. So Feist is better, but Salvatore rocks too!!

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Happy Member of Fast Fourward.
bilqis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 07:52 PM   #5
Moiraine
Anubis

Thanks, Azure ! I will give a try to your advice soon, soon, my waiting pile of books is growing shorter every day ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 09:09 AM   #6
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Definitely Salvatore.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 10:09 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Never read Salvatore, but I'm a HUGE fan of Raymond Feist. Both "Magician" books, Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon are my faves. I did play the "Betrayal at Krondor" game, and although I loved it, games just don't have the depth that authorship has. Still, it was good, although fairly easy after you got past a certain level.

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 07:23 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I have to say that they´re very different writers. Feist is an author that writes mor "epic" and jumps between generations. His work is really good, and i love most of his books. His scenery isn´t one of the greatest, I mean Robert Jordan paints a beatiful painting in your mind while you read his books. You know exactly how many forks are at the table and so on. Feist is more to the general story. He brings it along beatiful as a whole and his little "zoom ins" on certain actions and events are also great.

Salvatore is more of a "action" writer. Fast action and alot of goings on. Battles between hundreds of foes or intense mano eh mano or womano e womano (hehehe) are detailed and really good. The main plots are a bit left behind the action, his language is easy and as advanced as it has to be.

Both are good and well, i can´t really choose the better or worse of them. I fo know that i really like Drizzt as a character, but the immense struggle of Tomas and Pug are sooooo good and well, you have to read both of them, cause to choose is to loose in this fight!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:10 AM   #9
BladeMaster

Salvatore is the best

------------------
Old 05-11-2001, 07:31 AM   #10
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

thats a pretty accurate reply wulfgir but still I think I prefer Feist even tho I love drizzt so much but feist seems a more mature writer and able to make books that cover a wide epic scope as you said and i guess I just prefer that in a book.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."