Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Default Need NWN1 Help - Stuttering

It's an old problem, I know, but I haven't found a solution that's worked for me, and lately it's been getting more persistent and more irritating.

My computer has an Athlon 64 X2 processor, and the video card is an NVIDIA 7300 GS. My OS is Windows XP, and the Device Manager says the drivers for the processor and video card are both up to date - though to be honest, drivers have always been a confusing subject to me, so maybe one of you will know something I don't.

I've tried tweaking the .ini file to run the game on only one core, to no apparent effect. The recommended solution I found in the archives here - to deactivate any peripherals - is impossible, as I have none. The only things my computer is connected to are the monitor and the keyboard. I also have defragmented since the stuttering worsened, which didn't appear to change it at all.

So...any advice? Because this makes the game too frustrating to bother with.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Default Re: Need NWN1 Help - Stuttering

Have you gone through the usual of reducing resolution and effects, turning off the movies and sticking it on windowed mode rather than full-screen?

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Go to Nvidia.com and update your drivers there. Do not go by what your system tells you, that could the WMD drivers just talking crap. Make sure to remove the old Nvidia drivers with Add/remove before you install the new ones. Follow the prompts then work from there.

Turn off Antialiasing and Anisop. Filtering in your Nvidia menu. Make sure Vsync is on. That card should be able to handle NWN1 with no issues. If the problem persists, look into sound. Change to "Miles fast" sound or some other in the NWN menu. Try running with no sound enabled and see it it persists, then do the above.

If it is a setting or driver issue we can eventually get it sorted by elimination process and troubleshooting, just post back if it still isn't sorted.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

The driver update seems to have worked - it's running without a hitch now! Many thanks to the both of you!
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Good to hear, have fun!