Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 03:59 AM   #1
Jim
Quintesson

Here's the link from Bluenews.com

Feeling sorry for the employees that have been "let go". They've done some sterling work as of late.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:34 AM   #2
wellard
Dracolisk

Sad news

An intresting post on the link you posted Jim is this

"Why doesnt anyone blame piracy? Sure Interplay sucks ***** but piracy does its deal as well. thanks to piracy a lot of great developers went poof and others just jump on the mainstream train, so that it wont happen to them. console games sell in a much better ratio compared to PC games. no wonder more and more console s**t coming out, forgetting or screwing up PC versions. you wonder why system shock 2, NOLF series and undying flopped on the market? yet you dont wonder why everyone knows those games and played them. you can do really good games and they WILL sell, but only if people HAVE to buy it. look at those MMORPGs, they sell like mad BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BUY them to play. you cant pirate them.
IMO we need to blame piracy more than interplay."

The guy has a point I think. So hats of to Ziroc for being so firm on the issue of piracy involving games. We are cutting our own throat

[ 12-09-2003, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-09-2003, 04:51 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

This is bad for Interplay, they just killed their biggest source of PC games. They will probably move to console only.

Except for the cancellation of Fallout 3 I am happy about this. The pc rpg scene has been messed up with mostly only bad title being released, and we need some new companies. These days, all the big companies think about is trying to change roleplaying games into action games to get as much an audience as possible, but their hybrids end up pleasing no one.

Most PC games companies are dying. My prediction is that most of the big ones will closes or get smaller, and for a while we might get very few pc games. Until we get some new companies.

I blame bad design decisions and too much spamming of bad games more than I blame piracy. It seem to me that more than 75% of the PC games that get released are uninspired unfinished products and clones pushed out to make a quick buck.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ya, well, what about the BG series? Those we're some of the best rpg's ever! This really sucks. Do you think someone else will pick up where they left off? IWD 3 maybe? NWN 3 maybe? jees, this could be really bad for my gibbies! thats how I pacify them when there gettin roudy!!!
Crap!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Ya, well, what about the BG series? Those we're some of the best rpg's ever! This really sucks. Do you think someone else will pick up where they left off? IWD 3 maybe? NWN 3 maybe? jees, this could be really bad for my gibbies! thats how I pacify them when there gettin roudy!!!
Crap!
Actually, it was Bioware that developed the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights. I believe Black Isle was the producer of Baldur's Gate II, though I'm not sure.

This is a sad thing indeed. Not only did they create the great Fallout series, but also Planescape: Torment, which was the greatest jewel of the history of all RPGs. Nevertheless, we need to move on to new grounds, new great games.

Though, as I recall, nothing really great has been released in the past few years(Warcraft III doesn't count as RPG [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] ). I guess we'll just have to be patient.

[ 12-09-2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 12-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I think we'l have to be very patient

[ 12-09-2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: RoSs_bg2_rox ]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

*sniff* *sniff* They made the best games of all times(BG SERIES for me) . I have been playing BG II for there years now but still i love it very much...

R.I.P Black Isle Studios!

Old 12-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I loved the IWD series they did. That company was unique in itself compared to Bioware.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The games were made by the devs and not by the company name. The devs are still out there. Only a name died.

[ 12-09-2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 12-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #10
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
The games were made by the devs and not by the company name. The devs are still out there. Only a name died.
But didn't the devs' cooperation in developing games also die?