Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
shadowspecter
The Magister

I just read this newspaper and it brought up the gay marriage issure thingy. Why are people so against some dumb thing like this? I'm not gay, but I'm not against it. Just recently some dude sent flyers all over Denver, Colorado saying something about killing gay people... you think by now that people would be more open-minded instead of being so discriminating.
“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” <br />-Mark Twain<br /><br />“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?” <br />-Scott Adams
shadowspecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well for hundreds of years western culture was largely Christian. Practicing a homosexual relationship is a sin according to the Bible and many people still believe in the Bible despite the decline of religion in the last 100 years. Since religion plays a central role in many people's lives still however, it is easy to see why they feel so strongly about this issue. If you believed strongly that marriage was an institute for a man and a woman then you would be against gay marriage too.

About the dude sending out flyers - I doubt he was doing it out of religious reasons though! He's probably just a homophobe.

[ 04-04-2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I feel the world will wise up eventually but it will take more time than we would all desire.

There were parts of America at one stage where it was considered totally acceptable to make slaves out of those who's skin color is a darker shade. It was a way of life. I think this is no different.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

This have been discussed quite alot in the Current Events forum. These kind of issues generally belong to that forum, so don't be surprised if a Mod moves it there.

As for the Gay Marriage, just as Vaskez said, many people thinks that marriage should be between man and woman only and no other combination.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Relegion doesn't play as big a part as people would like to believe in my opinion. I'm Christian and relegious myself, but I don't mind if people are gay or bi (because I have friends that are). To be honest, I think the main reason is mainly because people can easily get hysterical over no reason at all. Most of the time, they would not say anything, but they want to be apart of the masses and follow how they act. And if not that, they want to start something to get noticed. Go up and ask any person why they hate gay people, they'll always say it's wrong, but they can't give you a reason.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

My thoughts on this issue can be summed up in four little words: Live and let live.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

" live and let live"

What exactly does that mean, I've heard it said alot, also what does "live and let die" mean while we're on it?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
they'll always say it's wrong, but they can't give you a reason.
Well if I was asked to give a reason I'd say that if it was meant to be then gay reproduction would be possible, but it's not. When it boils down to it, sex's main purpose is reproduction, after all. There are other reasons which I could state but can't be bothered now. Anyway, I don't dislike gay people, I just don't understand them. I don't know any anyway...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #9
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

Sex may be ment for reproduction, yes... But with so many people in the world now, saftey guidlines popping up in everything, more people having babies, and more areas being built to house more and more people, the natural selection law just cant keep up anymore? Nature has a way to turn things upside down to try to keep all things in balance. So while sex cannot just be stopped, more and more same sex couples begin to appear.

Homosexuality isnt just a human thing either, ive seen dogs, cats, and mice all working the magic on the same sex of their species.

Im a loon, I know that. Just chiming in with my 2 cents.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I Have was always understood that Marrage was made for one reason. That reason was for the purpose of child raising and for the protection of the child or childern that legaly bound a man and woman together so that both would be responsable for the well being and life of said childern.
Later it had alot to do with Tax breaks and insurance. At least in The United States anyway.
Then when the Gay men and women in the U.S.A. started comming out into the eye of the world and they, as they call it, came out of the closet. They were more in the open and thought they should have the same rights that straight non gays had. As couples They decided they too should be able to share medical insurance benifets. But the way the system in the U.S.A. was set up only married couples (a Man & a Woman)
were intitled to these benifets. That is when the Idea of Gay marrage came in. The fact that if two men were living together and one became sick the other wouldn't be aloud to even get into the hospital room to visit them because, they were not imediate family members. I don't think this is right and the Gay comunity didn't either, so for a number of years now there has been a Paper war going on in the U.S.A. to give any Gay couple the right to care for and have a same sex relation and it wasn't getting anywhere. Then in the past two years there have been a number of same sex weddings and still the insurance companys did not provide any benifits. Finally the gay comunitys have gone to the courts and to gay churches to get legaly married and the insurance companies and Hospital don't reconise the marrages so the social war goes on.

Me I'm not gay and I don't believe that gay marrage is the answer. Because that still leaves out the non-gay couples that spend their lives together as room mates and have no sexual ties to one another. I think that the government should come up the legal life partner LAW. With this new set of laws then to men or two women or even a man and a woman don't have to be married, they just become legal partners that would include brothers and sisters that just never marry and stay together for financial reasons. They then receive the right to claim each other on taxes,share insurance, and all medical and financial needs the same as married couples less childern. Also have the right as a legal partners to care for and receive all the rights of family when one of them was in the hospital or under medical care. but this isn't going to come about over night.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against gays and I hope they get the proper benifits they should expect as american citizens. But I still don't believe that gay marrage is the answer and I won't put up a stink if it does become legal. But any if guy ever ask me to marry him he is in deep Do Do. My wife will kill him LOL. [img]smile.gif[/img]