Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-22-2001, 10:02 PM   #41
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Is it strange to anyone that I have not received any nasty mail from any of you??? I am sure that I am on Ziroc's and Memnoch's list of people that have been e-mailed in the past.
Another thing. I have my e-mail set up that gives a preview of what is contained within the body of the message. After about 7 seconds, the message will consider itself opened and read if I go over it. Is that dangerous in itself, or would I have to actually open the attachment?

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Trials of the Luremaster downloadable expansion set
Old 07-23-2001, 12:34 AM   #42
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Ok this is just a theory. Remember the guy Z was having problems with not so long ago????? the one who got banned?????? Maybe some how he hacked into Zirocs database and got peoples email addresses and started sending the virus.

Just a theory. But it would be about that guys speed to try to get revenge.

But by the same token my wife doesnt have anything to do with this forum and shes found it in her email 4 times already. Fortunately I havent received it yet. Has anyone else seen it lately?? Maybe itll die down. Word is getting around which is great. Thanks for starting this topic guys.... i had no idea about the virus and it didnt click to me that my wife had already received the emails with this crap.... futuntaely she didnt open any of them.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2001, 12:56 AM   #43
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Maybe some how he hacked into Zirocs database and got peoples email addresses and started sending the virus.
No, This virus is worldwide, and our memberlist is encrypted, so it can't be hacked.

I got a bunch of emails from Larry_OHF BTW, I emailed him too.. Did you get those emails Larry?

I've helped a bunch of people clean this sucker up.. grrr, damn virus. I saved a few people from running it too because I posted this message, thank god it helped some people. Virii are a pain in the butt.

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 07-23-2001, 02:05 AM   #44
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
No, This virus is worldwide, and our memberlist is encrypted, so it can't be hacked.

I got a bunch of emails from Larry_OHF BTW, I emailed him too.. Did you get those emails Larry?

I've helped a bunch of people clean this sucker up.. grrr, damn virus. I saved a few people from running it too because I posted this message, thank god it helped some people. Virii are a pain in the butt.

Big pain and I'm glad you posted Z.. you did save lots of folk from getting it! I was rushed home to post about it and then saw you had done it earlier!
I still can't believe how much trouble this thing has caused already! Amazing , isn't it?!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-23-2001, 03:57 AM   #45
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I thought all of our info would be encrypted and safe. In no way was I putting any blame on you Z. I was just trying to figure out the common denominators. I know you run a clean site here and thats why its my all time favourite website.

I think you do a fantasitic job Z. Youve got one hell of a responsibilty here... I dont envy you but I do Love the Ironworks 40 gig a month is a lot of traffic. I wonder how long it takes your computer to do a Clean Disc lol.

I remember someone saying that the FBI CIA and NSA were on this case. Have they made any progress with it???? Id like to see the little punk who did this get his teeth kicked in. And then some.

------------------
Old 07-23-2001, 11:07 PM   #46
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Bump just to keep this on the top page.

------------------
Old 07-24-2001, 12:42 AM   #47
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Just got sent the virus for the first time. Fortunately I was educated and didnt open it.

Many thanks to Ziroc and Memnoch for making the 2 topics that they did concerning this virus.

The email I received was sent to me (supposedly) by Darth_Drow@email.msn.com

Looks kind of familiar but I cant say Ive ever exchanged emails with this person. Any clues out there folks????

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 03:31 AM   #48
Ziroc

Bump!!

Old 07-25-2001, 04:39 AM   #49
Barbucha
Dungeon Master

Thanx, I read warning on top of page and about 1 hour later got 2 emails in english with this virus.

------------------
Barbucha - a bear's bugaboo
Old 07-25-2001, 04:54 AM   #50
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I had to walk Kormar through cleaning this out manually from his hard drive over at Mithril Hall. It's pretty suspenseful reading! Went over two pages, trying to clear it from his registry, step by step. We didn't know if it was going to work till the end! Click here if you are a Mithril Hall member, you should be able to access the thread.

------------------