Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-19-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Dogboy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

can some one please let me know an easy to enjoy this game i am new to this and i find it very hard,,,, too many speels too many quests.. and what the hell are those keys with the wands etc.....
Dogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The most important idea needed to enjoy the game:
Don't look at any walkthroughs!

Another important idea:
Don't cheat (don't edit your stats or hack in items or whatever).

You can keep track of all your quests in your journal. It helps organize finished and unfinished quests for you.

What buttons with wands? Do you mean the quick spell slot on the bottom of the screen? If you click on the gold one, then you can view your spells. If you select one of them, then you can cast it. If you chose on the dimmed out one, you have to right click on it. Then you can select which spell you want to place in that slot for future use.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
What buttons with wands? Do you mean the quick spell slot on the bottom of the screen? If you click on the gold one, then you can view your spells. If you select one of them, then you can cast it. If you chose on the dimmed out one, you have to right click on it. Then you can select which spell you want to place in that slot for future use.
I think that Dogboy is referring to the six "wand keys" found in Chateau Irenicus. If so, what I'm about to tell isn't really a spoiler because his protagonist will eventually be told about it. There is a room with columns where one character, with the keys in inventory, needs to approach each column. When you get a "manipulate item" pointer on screen, click your mouse.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

First off, Dogboy.... WELCOME TO IRONWORKS!
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Rule 1: As Lord pointed out, do not use walkthroughs to get you through your first run of the game. You are guaranteed to rob yourself of about 80% of the fun that way. Thus us, we've been through this, we know. Instead, if I may toot my own horn here, take the link in my sig. Volothamp's Comeuppance is a very thorough guide that tells you all about the mechanics of the game (how things work, all about the various kits, spells, etc.) without giving you a single spoiler. (Well, it does contain some spoiler-ish material, but those are rare and only included to help keep you from doing something that could have really bad consequences later.)

Question: Have you played BG1? I ask because it's easier to learn (there isn't as much emphasis on hundreds of bewildering spells) and the start of the game is much friendlier. Many people get unduly intimidated by the start of BG2, because you're trapped in an underground prison and things generally aren't going well. Just bear this is mind, here: You're in a prison. Things are supposed to be unpleasant. Just keep telling yourself that it will get better after you escape, and you'll be out soon enough.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Irenicus's dungeon sucks...nearly had me quit playing the game on my first run! If you start to get bored, I assure you, it gets better immidietly after you leave the damned dungeon

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I agree. Just play without things that would spoil the fun for you. Go with the flow and chech your journal. (J on keyboard)

Also welcome to IW. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
Ironbar
Manshoon

That guy's child is his son, not his daughter.
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironbar:
That guy's child is his son, not his daughter.
Uh, what are you talking about? Did you post this in the wrong thread, maybe?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

My suggestion is a bit different then...

If youre new to BG series and roleplaying in general, how about you grab a walkthrough for the first level of Irenicus' prison only. After that drop the walkthrough and try and do the rest yourself... The walkthrough will thus just give you the basic idea of going about doing things and solving quests... this is better than you getting discouraged in the beginning...
Old 03-20-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

No, I disagree with ZFR here sorry [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just keep at it and once you get outta the dungeon things will get better.

Also, when you first start out, it may seem that there are too many thigns happening and the suchlike but once you get the hang of it and take a step back and look at all the things you actually have to do, there will seem to be a lot less things and a lot less confusing. Just remember that while most of the game is quite realistic, there is usually no time limit on stuff and if there is there will be significant warning, and so take your time, you will get things eventually [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT) Oh yea, check out Six of Spades' site, it cleared a lot up for me lol. Kudos to you Six.

[ 03-20-2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: drew_jarvie ]