Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

There have been a few times when I went to view a trailer online but a warning came up that said I needed to download the Java Virtual Machine in order to view the video. I never heard of it before and so when I went to click it on it directed me to Microsoft but I couldn't find it anywhere to download.

Where does one go to be able to download it? Is it worth it? Any issues? My OS is XP Professional and I also have Office 2000. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
Old 01-07-2005, 02:26 AM   #3
LennonCook
Jack Burton

You don't want the Java Virtual Machine. You want the Java2 Runtime Environment.
They achieve much the same thing, except for a few differences:
- Java VM is Microsoft; J2RE is Sun. Sun invented and maintain JAVA.
- Java VM is known to be buggy and insecure.
- MS don't support the Java VM anymore, and don't distribute it (which is why you can't find it on their site). They actually aren't allow to in the way they were. They basically stole it, in that they tried to make it MS Proprietry. This landed them in trouble with Sun and with the courts.
- Java VM support stopped quite a while ago, meaning that it is not the latest version.

Sun's JAVA does not have any of these problems.

I'm not sure what Sir Degrader's link is (I've not heard of java.com), but it does display the Sun Microsystems logo. Get it from there, or directly from Sun.

EDIT: I just noticed that Sun links to java.com , so Sir Degrader's Link is definately endorsed by them, and even their official download site for it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-08-2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]