Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2001, 05:30 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Go back in time to change one thing.
I would prevent the Srenbrenica(spelling) massacre.(7000 innocent men, slaughterd under the noses of Dutch Kfor troops)

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 paladin of the order of the holy flame.
Old 06-28-2001, 01:56 PM   #2
Moni

Dreamer128,
That's a tough question to answer.
What if you changed history and it somehow made the present a lot worse than it is? Not that saving those people would be wrong, but what if in doing so that it brought more suffering to future generations?

I am sure if we could and it had no negative consequences, that a majority of us would choose to go back and prevent all the mindless mass murders that have occured throughout history.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-28-2001, 02:04 PM   #3
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Go back in time to change one thing.
My yesterdays lottery numbers so that they corresponded to todays winners.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:09 PM   #4
Sigmar
Unicorn

I would stop the most evil creatures known on Earth being created, Barney and the Teletubbies. Maybe killer bee's too.

------------------
"So why should I worship you Tiax?"
"Well Sigmar, I am Tiax the chosen one of Cyric, destined to ascend, I shall rule all!"
"Do you know you have a duck on your head?"
"Duck what duck......ahhhhhhhh!"

Tiax, warmaster of clan HADB
Old 06-28-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

If I could........

I'd make note of all the extinct creatures today - savagely taken away from existance by man.

Then I'd go around the world.......touring, travelling and attempt to stop this from happening.

Also I'd make sure Adolf goes into an orphanage, away from any corrupt upbringing of evil. (no, I cannot bring myself to kill him - he's just a child back then)

And finally - who wants to ride with me on a Diplodocus?!! YAHOO!

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 02:56 PM   #6
Waluin

Excellent suggestions with animals/adolf Wah. By the way, your sig kicks butt. Too bad I can't do something that creative.

What would I change? Some are signifincant, some are silly, some are personal. I'll most likely forgot many things, but off my head. I cannot change just one, but if I had to, it would be one of these:

1)Challenger Shuttle Mishap
2)Assassination of Duke Ferdinand
3)Death of Admiral Nelson
4)If #2 isn't possible or doesn't change the course of events: Evolution of communist russia, along the lines it was intentionally envisioned, if possible at all. Especially the removal of Stalin from the equation. (the adolf thing taken care of courtesy of Wah, as well)
5)The entire initialization of mass slave trade to colonial holdings in the new world. Quite an intricate request requiring multiple areas of time and place, but a wish nonetheless.
6)Assassination of JFK and RFK. Just men, but men I admire despite their failings.
7)The disappearnce of Amelia Earhardt.
8)Kidnapping of Lindenburg baby.
9)The Hindenburg incident
10)Some sort of reversal of european destruction of native american culture, health, lives, and habitat. Not sure how to articulate that into a resolvable change. I'll most likely be born/doing something else in the alternate universe this would create, but it is for the better.
11)Create more funding for space exploration
12)Removal of all nuclear weapons.
13)Removal of the combustion engine and superiority of automobiles as modes of transportation in the stead of mass transit, thereby saving resources, money, and the environement while creating more expedient ways to travel and commute. (while also being forced to acknowledge that there other people that travel to work besides you)
14)Hate, bigotry, Racism, sense of Manifest Destiny for race/nation/group and none other, Imperialism, Sexism, Ageism... etc
15)Complete removal of colonialization and rampant expansionalism of european countries as a historical constant. Change competition with cooperation.
16)Make the original League of Nations have military backing.
17)Create a world government with valid representatives from nations approved and equally part of the whole. A grand change with multiple problems, considerations, difficulties, responsibilities, illogical situations, and other blockades to its creation. But I would like it nonetheless. Once we are done handling things on earth, humanity should then look to the heavens as well. United Earth Space exploration...ah..the nerd in me sings.
18)Elimination of money as a determinate of necessary things to sustain an at least livable way of life. Lots of hold ups here, I know. Especially the people that measure is intended to help. Human nature is a fickle thing.
19)The crusades and other wars of religion from any denomonation over the ages. To be honest, perhaps the elimination of religion as a whole. Sometimes I wonder if religion causes more hurt then help. But I'm hardly an athiest. Just pondering.
20)Everything I have forgotten. There is simply too much to list. Dictators that should never have taken power. People who should never have lived/died/Had something happen to them/have something not happen to them/get something/not get something/do this/not do that/etc. Things that should be, and things that should not have been. Ah, what a potent question.

I cannot just change one thing, when there is so much to change beyond that. But to second guess is bad as well. Perhaps it is better there are idle wishes, and nothing more. Despite that, I feel that the world would be better if sometimes we zigged when we should have zagged.

"Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not." - Robert Kennedy

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 03:46 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmmm......difficult question. Has anyone thought that by altering history, the consequences could actually be worse. For example, suppose you killed Hitler - you might wind up with someone worse in charge (Heydrich anyone?).

Dammit - I'd better stop right there - my brain is becoming overheated by temporal paradox contemplation

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 04:21 PM   #8
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Hmmmm......difficult question. Has anyone thought that by altering history, the consequences could actually be worse. For example, suppose you killed Hitler - you might wind up with someone worse in charge (Heydrich anyone?).

Dammit - I'd better stop right there - my brain is becoming overheated by temporal paradox contemplation
Yup, i just wanna change my history to include more partys and more hangovers. The rest can stay as it is.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:36 PM   #9
Gaelic
Elminster

1. I'd figure out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

2. Avoid my numerous ankle sprains.

3. Give Stalin a wedgie.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-28-2001, 07:51 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I'd go back in time and kill the guy who first said "hey, this tobacco plant, we can smoke it!"

------------------