Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2001, 12:52 AM   #1
Jimbo
The Magister

Okay, this is a game mechanics rant more or less...
My biggest concern is that in ToB were gonna have more monsters like Krannax that need +4 or +5 enchanted weapons to hit them. No biggie for the spell slingers, but for someone who developes a character for too many hours, and then find out that they can't use there chosen weapon class...well it sucks.

Some examples have been leaked out that sound decent (the spear that is +6 to hit and damage {I have no idea on enchantment...hopefully +5}) and some that ain't (archers will get a quiver that summons arrows... big freaking whoop ).

Personally, make some more +4 and +5 enchanted weapons. They don't have to be uber but just make it so I can go up with my flail and wack on that critter.

Oh well, rant off...

Good luck and good gaming, and please if you got a developers ear, make it so all class of weapons will be usefull...

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 06-07-2001, 12:54 AM   #2
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I believe that they ARE going to make at least 1 uber weapon for each weapon class, so there WILL be +5 maces or +5 spears. Just like HOW, where there were +3 and +4 weapons in the stores for sale with no other special abilities but that of being able to hit the more powerful monsters.

------------------
Why?
Old 06-07-2001, 10:39 AM   #3
Jimbo
The Magister

That sounds good, make it so i can go to the store and buy some +5 enchanted arrows so i can hit the critters. Not the dreaded weapon ineffective line.

I don't want uber, just a chance to practice what I've developed.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:48 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

There will be a +5 club and a +5 bastard sword(+6 vs Demons and undead) and probably several more +5 weapons.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 paladin of the order of the holy flame.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 11:10 AM   #5
SherpaDoug
Dungeon Master

Arrows of Piercing have allways been +5 to hit. They don't do much damage but they can hit anything!

------------------
Evil around every corner. Be careful not to step in it!

Sherpa Doug
Old 06-07-2001, 11:16 AM   #6
Vampire

Melf's Minute Meteors are +4 weapons and cloak of the stars gives you +5 darts!
Old 06-07-2001, 11:34 AM   #7
Kinslayer
Drow Warrior

It can be kind of annoying though when you've got that +3 sword that has some nice abilities and suits your character but you have to switch it for a plain +4 sword just to hit the damn enemy. This kind of discourages role playing.
Old 06-07-2001, 11:45 AM   #8
Vampire

uhhhh just to hit who? Kangaxx is the only one in the game!!!!
All others cast breach! I know the fealing!!! Shortsword+4 or Blackrazor+3?
I have this dilema for 3 members in my party!
Old 06-07-2001, 10:58 PM   #9
Jimbo
The Magister

Gonna clear it up, I'm talking about enchantments, not the + to hit or the + to damage. Enchantments tell whether or not a weapon can hit a magic to hit creature. One example is a mace that is only +2 enchanted but +5/+5(thaco/damage bonus) on deamons, and is kinda an oxymoron, as most deamons latter on will need +3 enchantments of weapons to hit them, and latter on even higher.

Arrows of Piercing are not +5 enchanted, as I tried them on Krannax, and got the same ol' weapon ineffective deal. From the write up on it:
"The Arrow of Piercing is long and thin, imbued with magical properties that allow it to 'push' itself through armor, striking out towards the heart of the victim.

STATISTICS:

Always considered to be of +1 enchantment when determining what it can hit.
Damage: 1D6
THACO: +4
Damage type: missile (piercing)
Special: +6 physical (piercing) damage (Save vs. Death for none)
Weight: 0
Launcher: Bow

Now, you can get the short bow or sling and use these:
Short Bow of Gesen (it's arrows are treated as +4 enchanted)
Sling of Everard (which are +5 enchanted)

We could go threw the list of available weapons, and figure out which one's will work on him, and which won't. I did alot of them screwing around one day, but didn't do them all.

As a fighter (or any type of class that can't cast Melf's Miny Metors of buttwhooping), I can't cast that. I could use the cloak though.

I want more along the lines that there is a +5 enchanted weapon for evey class and alignment and type. Example-- Fighter, specs duel weld, and takes up bastard swords. He developes his character and gets till he has invested time, and when it is time to go fight the big fight, the best weapon in the game for him is a +3 enchanted weapon... Same with an archer with long bow... Same with a bezerker with flails...

I don't want it to be uber, just make it so it is enchanted +5 and does some decent damage. And make sure you can get +5 enchanted bolts and arrows...