Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 AM   #1
Dang
The Magister

I just started playing W&W. I made a party and exhausted my gold. Galen the Signifyier gave me a long spiel about his girlfriend maven, who was turned into a sword. The manual lied to me, because it says I should go out the gate to the graveyard; however, that gate is not selectable, nor are about 3 buildings in the town.

The only thing I have been able to do is go out the gate to Nymph Lake, get attacked by Highland Hoodlums, and have at least one character die.

My questions:

Why can't I go out the gate to the graveyard?

Why am I cut off from several buildings? (Like town hall, I think.)

Can I commit suicide to make W&W seem more interesting?

Why do I have to get in a fight with the Highland Leader, whom my characters can hit maybe one out of 10 times? Is one/two of my characters being killed a prerequisite to fight this guy?

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a good game, but so far all I've gotten is confusion and serial death. What's going on?

[ 05-15-2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Dang ]
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

1. You need to point your mouse cursor on the gate/building. the gate/building will be highlighted and thus you can click it. if not you may have graphical issue.

2. If you commit suicide and it was your last character standing. it's game over. does it seem more interesting?

3. No, your characters may be too weak. try buying some cheap stuff in the shop to survive longer in the fight.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Dang. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Your inability to enter certain buildings and leave by the graveyard gate is a welknown technical problem which the techies of this board has learned how to solve. Since I have absolutely no knowledge in this field I suggest you check the tech tips thread. Also I believe our techies will be online shortly to help you out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome onto this side of things, Dang! I hope you'll enjoy it...

The start of the game can be frustrating. Your party is brand new, and even those glowflies and roaches are impossible to kill. And they don't fight back!

First things first...

1. Magic works, even at low levels. Your wizards should have the burn spell... use it. Go back into town, come out, and your mana is replenished. Life is great that way. Your priests should also have the heal spell. Use it. Head into town. Repeat.

2. For the fighter types, weapons are a must. Make sure that they're equipped, and do your best. Yeah, it will often seem that they can't even hit the ground. That will get better, so keep on healing them and trying again.

3. You can get sneaky in combat if you want. Watch your opponent, and you can see when he's getting ready to attack. Simply back up when he starts, and when he swings, you'll be out of range. Then run back in, attack, and get ready to back out again. This works best against a single opponent, since multiple can get in the way of your backpedalling.

Bsftcs has already mentioned the Tech Tips thread. I'll wager you're running Win2k or XP, so you don't have the right codecs. Use the virtualdub trick mentioned in there, or get the alternate codecs that Willow mentions in there as well. Either one will let you get through.

Also, check the other XP/2k-related items (compatibility, virtual memory, and so on) to make sure you're not going to run into a problem in the future.

And do come on back with more questions! You see, we really don't have lives, and the only thing that makes us happy is seeing someone else get hooked on this great game...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Dang
The Magister

Alright guys, thanks!

I'll check out the tech tips. I'm sure I'll have a blast once I get it working properly, even being out-gunned at the first. And considering my history of addiction to D.W. Bradley authored games, you will no doubt be seeing me lots. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You're welcome, Dang. Once you get started, it's a lot of fun. And when you start a new game, it gets to be fun as well -- you get to relive all this "joy" again [img]smile.gif[/img]

One more thought... the motto of the Gael Serran is "They WILL hunt you down". Many beasties will run after you... check out the start of Missy's adventures (up top in the sticky threads) for her example.

But you can use that to your advantage (as Missy did). By luring a group of monsters after you, they will eventually separate... and while you can't take on six bandits at once, you can probably take on one at a time... six times over. That's how Missy took out... some other critters who you will encounter later

It's a lot of fun. I find it more enjoyable than Wiz7 and Wiz8... so keep on comin' back!
-+-+-+
Old 05-13-2004, 11:14 PM   #7
Dang
The Magister

I just did the VirtualDub file change thing. Here goes nothing!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Dang!!!

I hope you have been able to get out the east gate now! That tech tips thread is a wonder (put together by just the very best of regular techie posters on this board (BRAG BRAG BRAG) - they have saved so many players' games!! They're the best!!!)

Once you get the tech issues solve and start to get into the game, I think you'll find that it's wonderful!

Have fun and keep us posted on how your game is going!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Dang
The Magister

Well, after the file change and a shortcut fix to prevent the game from crashing whenever I tried to talk or carry, the game is moving right along. I am currently in the asylum fending off fetid ghouls. Thanks for your help, everyone!
Old 05-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

YeeeEEEEE-HAH! Go get 'em, cowboy! Errr... sorry... wrong game. But the sentiment is the same -- I'm glad to see you're out there gaming away. Keep us posted on your progress... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+