Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-11-2003, 11:38 AM   #21
Radek
Red Dragon

The phased combat works the following way: You are the trigger of all your attackers. All opponents are allowed to approach you and attack once. Then they have to wait for your action. Any action. You can attack, cast spell, move to another place and so on. This allows the opponents to attack again once. And so on.
The result is that you have some time to think of your action. You can decide whether you will cast a spell and which spell without being killed in between for example. Well, you must know that the opponents will be often faster than the effect of a spell [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] If you want to heal yourself then you have to begin enough soon and use enough strong spell.
I consider the "phased combat" much better idea than, for example, the "turn based combat" from MM games. (Let's call it turn based combat even if it is no turn based combat. A perfect example of a turn based combat is Realm of Arkania.) My only objection is that the "phased combat" should be an option and not a default. Who is supposed to press the 'T' key every time he leaves a town or changes a map?
Old 03-11-2003, 11:43 AM   #22
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
And that book you can't get because you can't get through the tunnel is just the answers to the questions the Serpent Spirit asks you. It has nothing to do with becoming a Zenmaster.
Ah... oh well, that leaves me with no serious complaints then (as I've already got the answers here) [img]smile.gif[/img] ...was sure I read that the book was needed for that, but my memory's a little messed up, so...
Old 03-11-2003, 12:25 PM   #23
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Oh yes, now that you mention it there is actually something I dislike: The monk quest. Not knowing exactly when the two days had passed was really annoying. Furthermore: When I played the game for the first time I did not realize that the quest was being reset each time I entered a temple or a bushi dojo. I completed almost half of the game with my priest running around naked before he was finally promoted to monk.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:58 PM   #24
Wutang
Manshoon

Aye. Also is this game lacking a compass? I couldn't find it anywhere on the screen. It's one of those basic elements that should be in all RPG games.
Or can you buy a compass in game and have it appear later? I know some games do have that which is a neat touch.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:34 PM   #25
Dude 77
Manshoon

Wutang as for the cumpass the mini maps top well always be north the bottom south the right side east and the left west so it is kinda a cumpass already (this also implays for most other game that have a mini map)
Dude 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #26
Wutang
Manshoon

Ah true but sometimes you don't always have the minimap up nor want the map up.

I guess it was a programming thing. maybe putting in a compass was tough to implement.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:43 PM   #27
jsalsb
Elminster

It's been too long. I don't hate anything about W&W anymore As I write this, several... "hates" is too strong a word --perhaps "nouns"-- come to mind. But I'll hold off and forgive (and apologies to s. martin).

Oh, and what's "joining of multiple guilds through the role-advancement-cancelling-bug" ???
Old 03-12-2003, 02:59 AM   #28
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't have too many worries with the gameplay any more, it is something that is just part of the game.
The main thing I dont like is all the mini story lines that do not finish. eg a certain archer is still waiting to slay a dragon even thou it didn't really kill his father.
There are a lot of areas that W&W can be improved in, you will find most of those in Wyverns W&W2 thread.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:48 AM   #29
Radek
Red Dragon

We can add Medakwa sending you to the toad village again and again even if the quest is over, Jathil harassing you after giving him the letter and completing the quest, and so on and so on.
I consider all this a result of slapdash and hasty programming and also a result of bad and hasty testing of the game. Somebody should have noticed it and somebody should have changed Medakwa's script after your finishing the quest or removed Jathil from the game, for example. I don't think it would be a big problem. Luckily, these problems do not cause any harm. They are only annoying.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:53 AM   #30
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, the toad quest thingy was annoying, I remember going back to toad village in case a new quest had spawned, was none the wiser when I got there to be honest!.
My other gripe is those coins at the snake temple, if you've cleared it and want to do the quest for them there is no way to get enough later in the game, if you don't know the "sell one at a time" trick (as I didn't).
Oh yeah, and you can't rest, too much wandering in the dark for my liking.

[ 03-12-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Desdicado ]